News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Charger reliable?

Started by wannakatana, July 04, 2007, 12:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannakatana

First of all, I hope this forum is for the new Charger as well.

Secondly, please forgive me, I really don't mean to offend anyone but I swore I would never buy another Dodge again after all the troubles I and my family have had with various models BUT I rented one of those lime green Chargers (Daytona?) and OH MY GOD! I really liked it and I want one. The power is simply awesome compared to my meek 2.7. The speakers in the door are fantastic! 8" woofers it looks like. My pants were being blown around by the air movement.

What I want to know is, how is the reliability and build quality of the Charger so far? Any problems cropping up? Has the 5.7 Hemi been around for a while in other cars/trucks?

A little history. My current Dodge is a 1999 Intrepid. As with the Charger, I really fell in love with the stying ever since I first saw it. I've had it since new and have taken very good care of it. Turns out the engine I have, the 2.7 litre, has a bad reputation as, well, a piece of junk. Thankfully my car didn't have the problems that so many have had but two years ago everything started to fall apart. First the transmission went bad, fixed for $2500. This transmission was the SECOND one as the first one was cracked and they replaced it around maybe 20,000 miles. The second one went at 95,000 or so. Now I ask you, is 75,000 miles acceptable life from a transmission?? Ever since then, it's been one thing after another.

I really want to like Dodge but they have let me down so many times in the past, I really am gunshy to buy another one.

Ghoste

This forum is for all Chargers although the accent is definitely on the classic ones.  There is at least one (and probably more) that are specific to the new Charger but it'd be nice if you stuck around here too.
As much as I know, the new Charger has been performing well from a reliability standpoint.  A great deal of engineering went into it and with assembly plants leaving Canada on a daily basis, I believe the workers at the Bramalea facility are doing what they can to ensure build quality.  That is only an opinion though.  I can't speak to the problems you've had in your other car but the new Hemi is most certainly proving itself as a worthy successor to the Hemi legend.
So go ahead and buy it and I hope you keep this site bookmarked.  :2thumbs:

TK73

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bull

I'd say they're very realiable because every time I see one I get annoyed. If I only got annoyed every third of fourth time I'd say they weren't as realiable.

cjwr

I own a 2007 Charger R/T and I love that car. The only problem I've had with it is the auto window up would sometimes not work. Dealer fixed it about a month and a half and ago, and I haven't have any problems since. Check out this forum, http://www.chargerforums.com/ it has all the information you could want about the new chargers.

69charger2002

i don't think the 06-07 charger models have been around long enough to prove if the bugs are worked out of the car, such as interior parts holding up, etc etc... but as far as drivetrain... the hemi has been in the newer trucks since 02-03.. and plenty are approaching 200k miles already. so as far as the mechanical aspect, that 2.7 can't hold a  light to the 5.7 hemi as far as reliability. dodge's cars and trucks are getting better and better every year in my opinion.. except of course in the looks department. but you didn't ask our opinions on that. so we'll save you that grief. good luck whatever you decide to do. i'm sure it's a much better all around car than a 99 intrepid.
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

pettyfan43

The Charger is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Intrepids I own a 2000 Intrepid and the 2.7 in those was terrible.

The Charger is leaps and bounds above where the Intrepid was. Much better driveline and just a better overall car.

dodgecharger-fan

Check out www.chargerforums.com

Lots of good info - all the good and the bad and more mods than your wallet can handle...

I go by the same name over there too.

*ducks*

Big Lebowski

What new Charger? That's weird, I didn't know there was a new Charger. I wanna see one, is it like the awesome new Mustang?  :D
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Silver R/T

they just started making them in 06, most of the cars that have been just released have reliability problems. I know I'll never buy one one, its ugly IMO and too expensive on gas.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

resq302

Well.... the 06 Charger that we have for our police dept has gone through 3 sets of front brakes in just under 10,000 miles.  It has also been out of service more than in.  Engine died and shut off for no reason then would not start at the dealership for about two weeks.  Dealership could not figure out what was wrong and all of a sudden it fired up with no problem.  Major complaint the cops have with it is that there are a ton of blind spots on it.  Still.... to me its not a charger cause it has 4 doors.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

JR

I know the Alabama State troopers that use them around here say the cars fall apart around the engines.

Great drivetrains, rather cheaply made car.

I like them personally, that's just their view on it. Most of them would rather use the Crown Vics.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

ITSA426

My son has 50,000 miles on his '06 SXT and no problems, great gas mileage.  I have 18,000 on my RT Daytona and no problems.  We are looking to replace my bride's car and she wants a sublime Daytona but will probably settle for a loaded RT.  I think they are great cars.  Almost as much fun as the 66 and 67 Chargers but with far more creature comforts.

bull

I call Troll Alert on this one.

Ghoste

wannakatana

Quote from: bull on July 04, 2007, 06:43:55 PM
I don't have time to play such games. I asked a perfectly reasonable question. I love Dodge styling and wow factor but the mechanics always seem to let me down. I didn't know about the problems with the 2.7 engine until well after I got my Intrepid so this time I'm doing what I can to research before I buy to avoid getting a car with serious known issues.

bull

Quote from: wannakatana on July 04, 2007, 07:32:07 PM
Quote from: bull on July 04, 2007, 06:43:55 PM
I don't have time to play such games. I asked a perfectly reasonable question.

That's good. God knows there has been plenty of trolls here in the past poking around trying to stir the pot with this '06 business.

warriorbass05

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 04, 2007, 12:42:04 PM
Check out www.chargerforums.com

Lots of good info - all the good and the bad and more mods than your wallet can handle...

I go by the same name over there too.

*ducks*

I just signed up over there and used you as a reference...

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Big Lebowski on July 04, 2007, 01:53:20 PM
   What new Charger? That's weird, I didn't know there was a new Charger. I wanna see one, is it like the awesome new Mustang?  :D
:sick: :sick: :sick: :leaving:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

472 R/T SE

wannakatana, never mind bull.  I'm surprised it took him that many replies to take a dump on your thread.  :slap:

When I investigated the used Intrepids, 300's and Concordes everyone said to run from the 2.7.  I ended up in a 3.5 HO.

Good luck on your possible future purchase.  My mom's a comptroller for 4 dealerships in DFW and she said they were slow sellers at first but now they're one of the top sellers.  She's asked for them as demos' as she really likes them too.  I thought I read on the 'net where DCX said it has outsold their expectations.

bordin34

Im in Phoenix right now and the most popular rental car is the new Charger. My father even rented one. He said the 2.7 felt underpowered. It is very quiet inside and has a very smooth ride. At 90mph it feels like your going 60mph. The only problem with it was the turny things that adjust the direction of the vents are broken on some vents. I have seen at least 35 new chargers today.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

bull

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on July 05, 2007, 06:38:57 PM
wannakatana, never mind bull.  I'm surprised it took him that many replies to take a dump on your thread.  :slap:

:flush:

472 R/T SE

:-*

bull

Hey, who's that ugly guy under your user name? ;)

wannakatana

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on July 05, 2007, 06:38:57 PMWhen I investigated the used Intrepids, 300's and Concordes everyone said to run from the 2.7.  I ended up in a 3.5 HO.

Exactly. I just wish I had known about it before I bought the car. So now i've learned 1. Don't buy the first year of a car and 2. Research before buying.

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on July 05, 2007, 06:38:57 PM

Good luck on your possible future purchase.  My mom's a comptroller for 4 dealerships in DFW and she said they were slow sellers at first but now they're one of the top sellers.  She's asked for them as demos' as she really likes them too.  I thought I read on the 'net where DCX said it has outsold their expectations.
So can I get a good deal from your mother?  :2thumbs: