News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hydra Rollers

Started by Purple440, July 02, 2007, 10:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple440

Hey guys,

My dad is going to build a 340 for a dart or chally.  I'm just wondering why we WOULDN'T put a hydraulic rolller setup in the engine, aside from cost.  It seems to me the valvetrain would last longer and we wouldn't have to worry about the lack of zink in oil and break in issues.

Is there any reason to use a hydraulic tappet setup vs a hydraulic roller? (aside from cost)

thx,
- Doug

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on July 02, 2007, 10:30:08 PM

Is there any reason to use a hydraulic tappet setup vs a hydraulic roller? (aside from cost)

Less maintenance, mechanical fuel pump compatible, stock rocker compatible, iron distributor gear which lasts forever compared to bronze.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Purple440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 02, 2007, 10:44:26 PM
Quote from: Purple440 on July 02, 2007, 10:30:08 PM

Less maintenance, mechanical fuel pump compatible, stock rocker compatible, iron distributor gear which lasts forever compared to bronze.

Ron

Damn that burst my bubble.  So why would a hryda roller need maintenance?  I figured it'd be maintenance free like hydra tappet.   Your other reasons are over my head.  So are all these hurdles to hydra roller worth having it?   It seems like having a roller makes more sense than a flat tappet for break in and longevity issues.  Do you think hydra is more of a pain in the long run?

- Doug

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on July 02, 2007, 10:57:53 PM

Damn that burst my bubble.  So why would a hryda roller need maintenance?  I figured it'd be maintenance free like hydra tappet.   Your other reasons are over my head.  So are all these hurdles to hydra roller worth having it?   It seems like having a roller makes more sense than a flat tappet for break in and longevity issues.  Do you think hydra is more of a pain in the long run?

- Doug

Sorry to burst your bubble Doug.  :P

The roller cam requires an adjustable valvetrain,,,,while the flat tappet doesn't.
The valveprings will wear out faster on a roller cam due to the inceased spring loads required to keep the valvtrain stable.
The fast rate grinds (engle, lunati, comp) will make close to hydraulic roller cam power.
The bronze gear is a wear item vs the iron gear

Is it worth it....that's up to the owner to decide.

Personally, if i was going to run a roller cam it would be a solid roller. The extra costs/maintenance are more justifiable because the power increses are more dramatic. Just my personal opinion on the subject.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs