News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever take apart an AM radio?

Started by Spartan, September 18, 2005, 10:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

I decided to take out the aftermarket stereo I put in 20 years ago.  I pulled out my AM radio that has been in the same box ever since that day.  The 1st thing I found was the connecter was missing (wires cut).  I had asked the outfit that installed it years ago to not cut wires and make it so I could swap out the radios without having to jack with the wires, looks like they stole the connector off the AM to use on the other....(I was a teenager and had to have FM and a cassette player, DOH!).  Anyway, I will have to probably put the connecter back on and solder/rewire the cable.  Wish I could just find a nice roller wheel AM/FM...ya right........Maybe some day someone will make a roller wheel AM/FM repro....

Anyway, the problem I am having is getting the small recessed screws in the face plate out.  Even my smallest socket is too fat to get in there.  Anyone ever take those out and what did you use? 

My radio says chrysler solid state and is the original in the car, I thought they said Dodge (its a 69).
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

ChargerAndy

Its been awhile but I did take mine apart to get the preset buttons to work....it really is pretty clever how that functions mechanically, theres a little clutch an everything. Anyway, I have a set of pretty tiny screwdrivers made by "omega". If there was a tiny screw, thats what I used.
    I dreamed of getting am-fm 8-track factory radio for my car but thats like impo$$ible. I ended up getting a vintage FM 8-Track underdash mount and Im pretty happy with that and people who check out the car get a kick out of it. Hard thing is finding 8-track tapes that work, about 20% of the ones I bought on ebay actually work.
   There is a company that will put modern electronics in your old am radio carcass, by the way. Good luck, Andy

Ghoste

My last 69 said Chrysler.   As for tools, try an electronics supply warehouse, they should have small enough tools for what you need.

Spartan

Thanks guys.  I wound up going to Sears and getting some long, skinny, needle nose plyers.  A little Kroil to loosen up one of the screws and it came out.  Not even some thin nut drivers could get into mine.  I polished the lens and face and it looks almost new.  I noticed a couple of the small gears (some plastic) sound a little dry.  What type of oil do you use on these types of gears etc in the radio?  Honestly, other then the cut wire, it looks pretty good for sitting in box over 20 years. 

I always wonder about putting a radio in the trunk by the speakers and keep the AM set up to the single front speaker (That was blown by the AM radio, I need to get that refurbed I am sure).  Maybe try for a remote set-up if they make something like that.

Every FM roller wheel I have seen on ebay goes for over $500. 
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Spartan

What is the material by the push buttons made of?  Mine are shredded but I cannot tell if its rubber or cloth/felt.  I need to make some new ones since these are falling apart

Spartan

In case anyone tries to replace the material by the push buttons,  closest material I found that looks like it is the thin foam wrap for handle bars on a bicycle.   I had some in my garage.  I pinned and taped the old one over the new piece, cut it to the same shape and used an exacto knife to cut the notches around the buttons.  Looks like brand new after I polished the chrome.  I have no idea if it still works.  I have had it stored in a radio box in my basement for the last 20 years.  I am hoping like hell it does :)  I have no idea how to test it though.