News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP..arrrrggghh...B&M Megashifter install problem!

Started by SRT-440, July 06, 2007, 01:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT-440

I am trying to install a B&M Megashifter in my 71 Dart to replace the column shifter.

With the 440 and 727 installed into the car, the transmission mount for the column shifter is out of alignment with the frame mounted shift linkage so I can't get the column shift levers attached and in alignment. So I said what the hell, I'll install a floor shifter.

After installing the B&M megashifter on the transmission tunnel and routing the 5 foot long cable around the transmission and attaching it to the cable bracket on the transmission and attaching the cable end to the shifter inside the car, I proceeded to adjust the shift positions as instructed in the B&M instructions provided.

With the transmission shift lever all the way forward (low) and the shifter handle inside the car all the way to the rear, I placed the cable swivel into the transmission shift lever as instructed to get a loose fit.

Then I pushed the shifter handle inside the car all the way forward towards the dash and attempted to place the cable swivel into the transmission shift lever with the lever all the way to the rear (park). The cable would not reach the Park position.

I guess I just don't understand the operation of the shifter mechanism, but I can't get the cable to extend far enough back to engage the Park position on the transmission lever.

Any ideas?
:brickwall:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Mefirst

The cable is not meant to loop around the 727 transmission. Check the pics in the installation guide!! Page 3 and 6

http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/7.pdf

On a 727 trans the shifter cable is routed like an U along the driver side of the trans. The cable first runs straight towards the front end, then loops down and back towards the rear, where it connects with the bracket to the small shifter leaver on the trans.

Also check that the cable is not resting against any sharp edges. Also protect the cable from heat from the exhaust system by wrapping it in heat shielding tape or use a rubber hose/tube to protect it, fasten the rubber hose with zip ties..

/Tom

rt green

you probably already have a good ground from your engine to the body already, but make sure its a good one. if it is not, the engine will try to ground through the cable. it'll melt the shit out of it.  the cables used to be 40.00 a piece.  how do i know this you ask?
third string oil changer

andy74

Quote from: rt green on July 06, 2007, 08:28:26 PM
you probably already have a good ground from your engine to the body already, but make sure its a good one. if it is not, the engine will try to ground through the cable. it'll melt the shit out of it.  the cables used to be 40.00 a piece.  how do i know this you ask?
Ill second that,figured it out after the 3rd one!