News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mostly for the people in Georgia

Started by Hot_Rodder, June 30, 2007, 08:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot_Rodder

On my '72 SE, it's got a non-original 383, unfortanatly it's the only thing not original on the car that can't be easily changed or taken off (like that 8-track that WAS in the car... Anyway, can't complain about it now, so.... Being that I still... don't know what casting numbers the heads are, but what ever they are, or which ever ones I get, I know that I'm gonna want to port them, and install bigger valves, so does anyone know a good place in GA, or just outside GA to have this done?

DrHemi

Engine Systems in Tucker, GA. They've actually had the shop shown on some Speed Channel buildups
1938 Packard 120
1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk
1963 Ford Fairlane 500
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (RIP due to code enforcement)
1970 Dodge Charger 500
1972 MG Midget
1987 Maserati BiTurbo Si

srpntlair1

as far as the heads go another option would be aerohead racing. for original cast heads I bought a set of 452 heads already assembled with 2.14 X 1.81 stainless valves, 200cc intake port volumn,86 or 88 cc combustion chamber, dual springs all set up to cam lift that i needed, hardened seats standard in 452's, 3 angle valve job hardened steel retainers and locks for about 600.00 no core charge as far as iron heads these things were awesome. check them out, these were cheaper to have shipped than what machine shops in FL wanted to redo my original heads.
                      aeroheadracing.com

Hot_Rodder

DR Hemi, thanks for the info, I'll try and look them up, and see what's what.

srpntlair1, I've looked into the Aeroheadracing stuff, liked it, but right now I just got off work, and am having a hrad time even keeping my eyes open, much less thinking straight, so before I say much more, I'm gonna leave it at that.... When I'm a little bit "more aware of what's what" I'll finish this reply, lol.

metallicareload99

I have a set of Aerohead (Indy) 452's with 2.14 and 1.81 valves.  They look good and work fine so far  :shruggy: but I have heard some bad feed back about Aerohead over the years:

"Ever see the Aero Head advertisments in the magazines ? All prepped E-heads and ready to go for cheaper than you can buy them anywhere else....almost sounds too good to be true ....because it is ! I've heard from more than one source that Aero Head swaps out the Edelbrock valves & springs and swaps in some inferior parts.   You need to be careful and pay close attention when looking at these "deals"."

That's the latest and the only one I can find at the moment.  I also haven't seen this first hand.  At any rate my 452's seem to be fine?  I hope   :-\  :shruggy:

Also I really wished that I had at the very least gotten closed chamber factory heads (516 or 915's) but I was in a hurry and on a bit of a budget.
If I could have done it over again I would have gotten E-brick RPM's from here:

Modern Cylinder Head

http://www.moderncylinderhead.com/

I hear nothing but good things about them, although they don't list Edelbrock Heads on their site.  The E-heads aren't all that much more expensive if you have to pay shipping on iron heads.  The real increase and potential increase in performance is significant.

Think long and hard about what you want the engine to do.  I didn't and now I'm waiting and hoping the 440source.com heads live up to everyone's hopes:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29639.0.html

Good luck
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Hot_Rodder

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check them out. Also, I need to get that palces number of the engine rebuilders, and give them a call also. :scratchchin:

Brian in GA

Hot Rodder, I don't know how close you are to Macon, but there's a shop called Wheeler Machine Shop there that's been in business for a long time.  As a matter of fact, they used to do all the mopar business years ago, from what I was told. 

Their prices are very reasonable, and I and those I have talked to give a good report on them.  Their contact info is (478) 781-7200.

Hope this helps. 

Hot_Rodder

My current location is fruther south than Columbus. I'm about 15 minutes north of Albany, in fact.... So the Macon place is closer. I'm finaly on my 3 days, well, nights off now, so I'll have some time to make some other calls. I tried to call up Hughes engines, and well... Even at 9:00am Georgia time, they seem to be extremely busy... So... Also, they don't like to answer very many questions, not at least over the phone, and you can just about forget about e-mails.... Tried an e-mailed question, and they replied to call, called and finaly got ahold of them, and was told they didn't have long to talk about anything, even possible work.... :o So... :shruggy: I'll call these two places up, and see what they say.

On a side note though, they guy, Dave if memory serves me right, said to get even better vacuum, to go with more cubic inches? This tells me that a stroker motor might be the route? Either that and/or a vacuum canister might be in order too.... I say this b/c of the power brakes that I'm keeping.... :2thumbs: