News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reproduction Tic Toc Tach

Started by dkn1997, June 29, 2007, 11:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

I was looking at a few on charger specialties website and year one.  Is it me or are they not even close to looking OEM?  Maybe it's the angle of the pics, but man, the font looks way off. you don't even have to look close to see. 

Seems like the hard part would be getting the housings stamped and the electronics put in.  you would think the font would be easy to duplicate...

...or am I riding the  :shortbus:

I really want to add a tic toch tach and would hate to dump money into a used one and have to rebuild it, but there does not seem to be anything close out there. 

I have a clock that is basically mint and I added the quartz movement, but I want to get rid of the tach strapped to my column.
RECHRGED

bull

I've seen them before too and I have to wonder the same thing. Is it really that difficult to replicate the original tach? If so, why bother making one that's so obviously incorrect? The number font is wrong and the number at TDC is like 500 RPMs off from the original. Looks like the knurled knob is different too. I guess it's the perfectionist in me but I wouldn't bother owning one.

1. Reproduction
2. Original

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yep, there was a big discussion about the font when these first came out a few years ago.   I forgot the reason that CS gave for the difference but to me it never made sense :shruggy:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

dkn1997

rebuild parts (tach, clock, harness) about 190 bucks, used tach, at least 3-400.  and then youstill have a tach that will work ok, but may or may not look great.

I wonder if you could buy the repro and then use one of the refacing kits to make it look right.  maybe not since the numbers don't quite line up?

seems like the same company makes all of the repros because the ones from julius, yearone, rt engineering, and charger specialties all look identical.  the gauge refacing kits seem to have the right fonts...

I don't want to come off like bashing, and I am greatfull that these companies are producing something that will look pretty close to stock or at least like it belongs there.  There has to be some explanation, maybe a copyright on the font? or maybe whatever brand of tach being used
does not lend itself to the correct lettering?
RECHRGED

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: dkn1997 on June 30, 2007, 11:50:50 AM
rebuild parts (tach, clock, harness) about 190 bucks, used tach, at least 3-400.  and then youstill have a tach that will work ok, but may or may not look great.

I wonder if you could buy the repro and then use one of the refacing kits to make it look right.  maybe not since the numbers don't quite line up?

seems like the same company makes all of the repros because the ones from julius, yearone, rt engineering, and charger specialties all look identical.  the gauge refacing kits seem to have the right fonts...

I don't want to come off like bashing, and I am greatfull that these companies are producing something that will look pretty close to stock or at least like it belongs there.  There has to be some explanation, maybe a copyright on the font? or maybe whatever brand of tach being used
does not lend itself to the correct lettering?

the repop tach thats in my charger is from paddock and I'm pretty sure that charger specialty's is the only one doing them ....let me just say this the one i had when they first came out was terrible the numbers etc were actually raised from the surface and not the right font as stated by others BUT the one i got about a year ago from paddock is a real nice unit the right is MUCH better and isn't raised from the surface so i say its a good part for the price because the factory ones just keep getting more and more scarce.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dkn1997

I will probably end up going that route because my car is not a bone stock resto, but still would like to have had an almost exact copy.

Just getting used to an actual working clock in the car and it's so cool....anyone need a mint quartz converted 2nd gen ralleye clock?   ;D
RECHRGED

bull

Quote from: dkn1997 on June 30, 2007, 12:04:55 PM
I will probably end up going that route because my car is not a bone stock resto, but still would like to have had an almost exact copy.

Just getting used to an actual working clock in the car and it's so cool....anyone need a mint quartz converted 2nd gen ralleye clock?   ;D

How much?

dkn1997

I have never seen one for sale unless it was part of a ralleye cluster.  I don't even know.  I think that you could get one done as part of an entire gauge restoration for about 85 bucks.  but on it's own.  I don't know, 125.00 for the convenience of it arriving at your door with a new repro set knob too? I may throw it on the bag to see what I get and it could help offset the cost of a tic toc tach.
RECHRGED

bull

I'll have to double check what I actually have. I think it's just a clock but now you have me wondering.

These guys might be good: http://www.tachman.com/mopar.htm Anyone heard of them?

ds440

1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

dkn1997

I emailed greg from real time engineering about whey the font was off.  He was very polite in his response and basically saidn the charger specialties makes all of the repro's that everyone sells and that they decided how original it should be.

Kevin:

This reproduction tachometer is made by Charger Specialties, and they decided how closely to match it to the originals. It is close enough for some people, and for others it is not. I also carry some restored Tic-Toc-Tachs that are exactly correct, but they cost more at $600 each. If you are interested in one of these let me know.

Greg Garner
www.rt-eng.com
1-479-756-2757

that's a pretty good deal considering that even if you scored a used tach and did all of the work yourself, you would be into it for 500 on the low end.  plus you would have a guarantee that it would work and someone to complain to if it does not.  I also like that he did not take my question about the authenticity personally.  I would definately do business with him if I decide to go original route.  either for the whole shebang or for the kits to do it myself.

I also did some digging around this site and found that a new correct decal from one of the gauge kits would not work on the repro tach because it reads in different increments.

RECHRGED

bull

That's one thing I don't understand about this hobby; we are the customers and in any other business the customer has every right to complain if the parts/service/whatever is not up to snuff. And generally, if the business owner is interested in keeping his customers happy, he does not get personally offended by those complaints. But here we are dancing around egos, walking on egg shells and plopping down way too much money on half-assed parts because we have no choice. They should cater to the customer, not vise-versa.

A word to those reproducing Charger parts (and I'm not talking just about these tachometers here): if you can't do it right don't do it at all. That way you won't get your fragile egos damaged when someone points out the obvious flaws in your work. And don't feed me the lines about how "we should be grateful the parts are being made at all" or, "It costs a lot do make these parts." Screw that! If it costs that much to make them then there's no excuse not to make them right, is there? As for thanking these Mother Teresa's of the reproduction hobby, I think if we have to write someone a $600, $800, $1,000 check for a $150 part that's plenty thanks enough.

(Sorry for the rant, I'm in a bit of a mood at the moment)

AirborneSilva

Quote from: bull on July 01, 2007, 05:05:46 PM
That's one thing I don't understand about this hobby; we are the customers and in any other business the customer has every right to complain if the parts/service/whatever is not up to snuff. And generally, if the business owner is interested in keeping his customers happy, he does not get personally offended by those complaints. But here we are dancing around egos, walking on egg shells and plopping down way too much money on half-assed parts because we have no choice. They should cater to the customer, not vise-versa.

A word to those reproducing Charger parts (and I'm not talking just about these tachometers here): if you can't do it right don't do it at all. That way you won't get your fragile egos damaged when someone points out the obvious flaws in your work. And don't feed me the lines about how "we should be grateful the parts are being made at all" or, "It costs a lot do make these parts." Screw that! If it costs that much to make them then there's no excuse not to make them right, is there? As for thanking these Mother Teresa's of the reproduction hobby, I think if we have to write someone a $600, $800, $1,000 check for a $150 part that's plenty thanks enough.

(Sorry for the rant, I'm in a bit of a mood at the moment)

Hey bull, try not to hold things in, you really need to let us know how you really feel  :smilielol:

On another note, they can get away with not making them correct (the tac's that is), because they are the only one making them.  If there was another company making them correct I'll bet you they would change up and make them correct too!....  Just my  :Twocents: