News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I connect this trans line to a cooler?

Started by timinator, June 29, 2007, 05:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timinator

I need to connect my 5/16 trans lines to an aftermarket cooler bypassing the radiator. It's a flared end with a tube nut. The thread pitch is 1/2-20. I would prefer connecting to an AN braided hose but I can't seem to find any adapters for this thread size and 45 degree flare to an AN fitting. They all seem to be AN or NPT threads. Has anybody done this and if so, what part did you use? If there are no adapters, what are my options?
1. Use a barb adapter and rubber hose which I'm trying to avoid.
2. Cut the hard line and use a compression fitting. How durable are compression fittings? Anyone had one come loose?
3. Cut the line and flare it for an AN fitting and then find an appropriate adapter. Anyone tried this?

Any recommendations? Again, I would prefer a simple adapter to an AN fitting but can't seem to find any.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I used brass 45ยบ connectors and connected the cooler with hard line I bent myself......
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Steve P.

If that tube nut in the pic. is steel you can use brass all day long... If it is aluminum, NO. The brass is stronger than the aluminum and will eat the threads. Talk to the guys doing A/C work.. They will all have a bad news story about it..

The compression fittings will work and as long as all components are in good shape they will work well for ages.  When I was racing I used compression fitting about 10 inches from the tranny to make pulling the tranny out quick and painless.. Never had any trouble..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida