News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

99 Ram 4x4 speed sensor location?

Started by Heck2G14, June 30, 2007, 01:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heck2G14

1999 Dodge Ram 4x4 318 C.I.
Had a check engine light come on the other day. Code claims its a speed sensor malfunction.  Ive been looking all over on-line for information on this items location ( crossing fingers its external ) If anyone has any information please help. Transmission is still shifting fine just at higher RPM.  thanks in advance.
Rob :2thumbs: 

71superbee

Not sure, but I think that they use the rear end ABS sensor as a speed sensor

Musicman

I'm no expert, but I remember reading somewhere that there can be as many as three speed sensors, depending on the particular vehicle tranny combo... IE: 4 wheel drive, 2 wheel drive, 46RE, etc,etc,etc.
I also remember reading that the most common speed sensor failures were from the sensor located on the top of the rear differential. If I'm not mistaken, and I probably am, the other 2 sensors are located on the side of the Tranny and the Transfer case... but then again, I'm old and my memories not that great anymore. Maybe someone else will have some better information for you.
:shruggy:

John_Kunkel

In '98 they moved the speed sensor to the rear end, it's incorporated into the ABS.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Winged 1

;)
Not sure if this will help, but on my 98 4x4 auto the sensor that went out on mine causing it to shift eratically the sensor was up on the block by the main throttle. Don't remember what the bill was, but they were darn proud of that part...
Hope this helps..
Eric

BamBam86

Front Wheel Speed Sensors....On left and right steering knuckles

Rear Wheel Speed Sensor........In Differential Housing