News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

whats the best fix for RATTLING disc brakes ??

Started by Charger-Bodie, June 29, 2007, 10:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

ok first off i really like how my disc brakes work but i had how noisey they are they are the same style as a 74 dart i used to have with the bolted on plate that holds the caliper on . i want them to be quiet please help
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Shakey

No expert here but with those pads, they need to be custom fitted to the caliper/bracket prior to installation.  When I put my pads on I had to bend the tabs to ensure they fit properly.  Could that be it?

Also, what about the dust shields - are they rattling?  Sometimes they need to be tweaked so they don't rub or rattle against the rotors as the car goes down the road.

Shakey

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Shakey on June 29, 2007, 11:34:35 AM
No expert here but with those pads, they need to be custom fitted to the caliper/bracket prior to installation.  When I put my pads on I had to bend the tabs to ensure they fit properly.  Could that be it?

Also, what about the dust shields - are they rattling?  Sometimes they need to be tweaked so they don't rub or rattle against the rotors as the car goes down the road.

ill check the bending of the tabs. the dust shields are ok thou , i can acctually tap on the caliper and duplicate the rattle.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Shakey

Quote from: 1hot68 on June 29, 2007, 11:37:49 AM

ill check the bending of the tabs. the dust shields are ok thou , i can acctually tap on the caliper and duplicate the rattle.

You might have to tweak them a bit so they are more snug.

I just might have to do they same with mine, one of these days, as the car has yet to see the road.

Looking at your pic and my pic, do you think that the pad is riding too close to the hub of the rotor?

Just guessing here.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Shakey on June 29, 2007, 11:39:43 AM
Quote from: 1hot68 on June 29, 2007, 11:37:49 AM

You might have to tweak them a bit so they are more snug.

I just might have to do they same with mine, one of these days, as the car has yet to see the road.

Looking at your pic and my pic, do you think that the pad is riding too close to the hub of the rotor?

Just guessing here.

i think the space thing is just an illusion as the space is actually pretty much the same as what youre pic shows . what about that pad goop that some pads come with does that reall help have you tried that or has anyone else with any success?

chgr500

Is your positioner spring in place...I can't tell in your picture......the spring that goes across the caliper mounting on the two locating pins

Just 6T9 CHGR

I would try and make sure the pads are snug in those calipers as well....bend the tabs
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Back N Black

Dodge is famous for rattling brakes, here is what what worked for me when i owned a Mopar siclone on the back of the pads. It held the pads in place and stopped the noise.

Charger_Fan

Another vote for bending the tabs. :wave: I have a big pair of channel locks that can grab across the top & bottom of the pad, bends the tabs down nicely. :) I've only had the pad goop work on one car...and that was for squealing brakes.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Just 6T9 CHGR

When I worked at the Chebbie dealer I used to use a hammer & chisel to swedge the tabs down while the pads were installed in the caliper
Chris' '69 Charger R/T