News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headers or Manifolds?

Started by 69fourspd, June 25, 2007, 05:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69fourspd

All -
I always appreciate your input.  I am nearing the completion of my build.  I am curious to whether you would recommend headers or manifolds.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Here is the current build:
Here is the setup:
69 440 .40 over
906 heads, 88cc chambers
9.5:1 speedpro pistons
edelbrock performer rpm
3.91 suregrip
15 inch tires
CAM:
Advertised Duration IN/EX: 268/276
Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 226/234
Gross Valve Lift IN/EX: .494"/.513"
LSA / ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash IN/EX: Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1800-6200
11" PTC Converter
750 Proform DP

70charger_boy

I'm not sure about the big block, but on my smallblock it is a total bitch installing headers.  You have to disconnect the power steering box, drop the front spindles and torsion bars, undo the motor mounts, remove the starter, lift the car 3 ft in the air and after all of that the headers will rub on the steering linkage and rub.  Not to mention that it could leak and if you need to replace your starter it's going to be tough. I would go with stock manifolds.  You might not get the rumble or horsepower, but in the end it would be worth it.  That's my  :Twocents:

firefighter3931

Nice build....the Voo Doo cam isn't too wild so it should run fine with manifolds, inmo. Cam profiles cut on narrower 108* LSA's aren't too happy (with manifolds) but this should work pretty good.  ;)

Headers will make more power....so it depends on what you want out of this build.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69fourspd

Thanks for the feedback.  I have not read of many guys being able to install headers on these cars very easily.  I guess that is the million dollar question... How much horse power is worth the aggravation. 

Any guesses what the HP difference would be between the two?

70charger_boy

Well, my friend Steve has a 69 charger with a 426 hemi.  He had the TTI headers and set up.  He said it gave him 20 extra horsepower.  He decided to go back to the HP manifolds, because it just wasn't worth the aggravation of taking them out to service the elephant

supserdave

Did you use the 2355 pistons? Or the 2261's. Your engine specs are very close to ours, hopefully it turns out very well for both of us! :2thumbs:

69fourspd

I went with the 2355's.  I hope yours turns out well too.  Just trying to figure out the finishing touches.   :cheers:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69fourspd on June 25, 2007, 11:13:47 PM

Any guesses what the HP difference would be between the two?

On a build like yours i would say ~ 30 hp or so. The more power you make....the more dramatic the difference.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

max

i guess this is one of those situations where it is really up to the owner of the car to what they want. personally i'm not a big fan of headers since they can be a bear to put on and most of the time they leak, but that is just me.

69fourspd

I agree they are a pain.  I just cant see myself throwing away 30 hp if firefighter's estimate is close.  I am not sure I want to throw down the money for TTI, so are there any headers you guys know that fit well? 69 Charger, 440 block, PS, PB, Auto.

My car is fresh off the rotissory and I cannot smash the headers in.  They would need to fit clean.  Ideas? BTW, here is a pic of the progress...

AKcharger

Don't forget ground clearance too I had a set of Hookers on the '72 and they're scrape on speed bumps if I didn't crawl over them plus they were already bashed in real good when I got them, I went with manifolds because
- No leaks
- Quieter
- Ground clearance
- Easy maintainability
- I like the "stock" look

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69fourspd on June 28, 2007, 06:05:25 PM
I agree they are a pain.  I just cant see myself throwing away 30 hp if firefighter's estimate is close.  I am not sure I want to throw down the money for TTI, so are there any headers you guys know that fit well? 69 Charger, 440 block, PS, PB, Auto.

My car is fresh off the rotissory and I cannot smash the headers in.  They would need to fit clean.  Ideas? BTW, here is a pic of the progress...

If you're using an angled plug head (Edelbrock/Indy) then the tti's are the only real choice.  :2thumbs:

For an OEM head there are some nice alternatives :

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/exhaust/17.html

Ron