News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

will petty blue hide inperfections as well as white

Started by chargercalvin, June 26, 2007, 11:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargercalvin

im paintin my 72 charger pretty soon, it is pretty strait but not persect, it has lots of bondo and glass, nothing visible in primer but you can feel some spots a little, what color should i paint it, white oe reytty blue, i just dont like white very much on a third generation charger

69RTSEV88

Just about any light non-metallic color will work better to hide imperfections in the bodywork.  I would say go with the Petty blue, as its light enough, non-metallic, and will look just a bit different as apposed to white.

MichaelRW

I don't mean to sound facetious but why don't you finish the bodywork before painting?  :shruggy:
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

moparguy01

Quote from: MichaelRW on June 26, 2007, 04:37:13 PM
I don't mean to sound facetious but why don't you finish the bodywork before painting?  :shruggy:

I agree. just finish the bodywork and paint it whatever you want.  :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: moparguy01 on June 26, 2007, 07:57:43 PM
Quote from: MichaelRW on June 26, 2007, 04:37:13 PM

I agree. just finish the bodywork and paint it whatever you want.  :2thumbs:

deffinatly !! finish out the body work and paint the car any color ......ive alway said all cars need to be the same leval of straght no matter the color !
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemihead

All light , non metallic paint seem to hide some body imperfections. Stay away from dark colors and never use black to hide stuff.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

69DodgeCharger

How about a metallic teal/turquoise type color such as this? The quarters on my 69 look like they went through a demo derby and I would like to hide as much damage as possible. If it weren't for the fact that they were perfectly rust free I would have replaced them. But then there is that time and money factor.....If I have one, I don't have the other and vice versa. I will do the best I can getting them straight but I am certainly no expert in the field of body work. I have already purchased this color for my car. Hopefully it won't come back to haunt me.

http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

moparguy01

its easy to make them straight. feel around the panel like a blind man at an orgy, find any dents that you can feel, then use body filler or glaze on them, then sand those areas smooth, then lay down alittle primer, and block sand it using at least a block which is twice the size of the area of filler your sanding. Use alittle guide coat if you need help to figure out if the panel is flat, and sand in a X pattern. use 320 grit for the final block sanding. then youll be able to see if your flat or not. any low spots need more glaze or more primer, and another round of block sanding.

the thing is that body work is easy. GOOD bodywork is alittle more difficult and much much more time consuming.

69DodgeCharger

Moparguy,

That is exactly what I have been doing pretty much. Dry blocking with 320 in a criss-cross pattern with black primer as a guide coat. It's been very slow going but it seems to be working. I have two things I seem to be messing up at. One is sanding out to much filler in the areas I just filled, the other is the body getting the body lines straight and sharp. I also have quite a  few high spots/bulges at the edges of the dents and creases. Any advice for those areas? I have been using 3 inch wide stick on sandpaper on a paint stick near the body lines and the same on a 17"x3" non flexible board on the larger areas. The retard I had helping me tried to convince me all I needed was a DA sander for this type of work. It has taken quite a bit of time to undo the damage he did in just 20 minutes with 240 on a DA to my quarterpanel.....never again. Thanks in advance for any help!
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

moparguy01

Go to a shop and look for a brand of block called "dura-block" get one that is resonably long, maybe a 15" or 18" block. i recommend dura blocks because they are relatively cheap, and they work pretty decent. The problem with sanding too much filler out is because your either pressing too hard on the block, or the block is too short, and it digs into the spot of filler. by getting a LONGER block your sanding the area around the filler, and it will level it out. for the body lines you just need to sand each side individually. trying to not dig into the body panel below it. its easier done than said unfortunately.

You can do an entire car reasonably straight with a DA only. it just takes alot of talent, and an interface pad. but nothing better than a good block sanding though.

chargercalvin

i am an amiture bodyman and this is the first car i am painting, the charger was once in a wreck and is all glass and plastic on one side, its hard to get that perfectly strait, but its pretty close. plus i want something that if i get some dents and dings in it it wont show. and i have heard white doesnt show runs as bad as dark colors