News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Boyd Coddington

Started by Magnumcharger, June 27, 2007, 02:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerkwad or the next best thing to sliced bread?

Jerkwad
59 (67.8%)
Jerkwad-like
23 (26.4%)
Seldom a Jerkwad
3 (3.4%)
Never Jerkwad-like
0 (0%)
Sliced bread!
2 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Voting closed: July 17, 2007, 02:54:54 PM

Magnumcharger

Everybody has an opinion of this guy.
Just for fun...yours can be counted...NOW!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

72chargerSE

Jerkwad is to nice a word....

Egotistical Knucklehead is more like it.

41husk

maybe it is just the show, but I have never seen him work on anything he didn't screw up.  Dewayne seems to know his stuff but is a jerkwod!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

whitehatspecial

He may have been a legendary HotRod builder at some point, much of that should have been attributed to his talented former employees.  TV has exposed him as a little self-absorbed tyrant who is an unreasonable employer. He is a prick, his foreman Dwayne is a bigger prick and I wouldn't let them build a chicken coop for me.

:RantExplode:
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

Lowprofile

Quote from: whitehatspecial on June 27, 2007, 04:44:09 PM
He may have been a legendary HotRod builder at some point, much of that should have been attributed to his talented former employees.  TV has exposed him as a little tyrant who is impossible to work. He is a prick, his former Dwayne is a bigger prick and I wouldn't let them build a chicken coop for me.

Well said bro. Right on the money. :lol: :2thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

TruckDriver

Quote from: Lowprofile on June 27, 2007, 04:45:37 PM
He may have been a legendary HotRod builder at some point, much of that should have been attributed to his talented former employees.  TV has exposed him as a little tyrant who is impossible to work. He is a prick, his former Dwayne is a bigger prick and I wouldn't let them build a chicken coop for me.

Well said bro. Right on the money. :lol: :2thumbs:
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ponch ®

He may have been a legendary HotRod builder at some point, much of that should have been attributed to his talented former employees.   

Didn't Foose used to work for him?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bsakal

Yup, Foose, Mike, and one of his former painters Charlie
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

70charger_boy

Foose was the vice president of boyd's company

69DodgeCharger

And Charlie filled in the gap between........so to speak.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

70charger_boy

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on June 27, 2007, 06:48:07 PM
And Charlie filled in the gap between........so to speak.

and that would be????....Boyd's wife??

dkn1997

He is a prick, his foreman Dwayne is a bigger prick and I wouldn't let them build a chicken coop for me.

Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel...I totall agree, though.  Just comes off like a douchebag and it looks like they take some shortcuts on the cars that don't seem to jibe with the prices they probably get.
RECHRGED

TUFCAT

You didn't have "Dick" as a choice - - so I went with "jerkwad"   :laugh:

whitehatspecial (above)

"He may have been a legendary HotRod builder at some point, much of that should have been attributed to his talented former employees.  TV has exposed him as a little self-absorbed tyrant who is an unreasonable employer. He is a prick, his foreman Dwayne is a bigger prick and I wouldn't let them build a chicken coop for me".

rt green

well, she did cry uncontrolably when he left. i've only seen that reaction during break ups. but who am i to say.
third string oil changer

Rolling_Thunder

I've met the guy...     arrogant to say the least...    but most people in this hobby are...    including Galen, Julius, and the like...      people who are cool in this hobby - Foose, Mike Ross, Steve Strope, and Matt Delaney....     all cool guys...       :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

pettyfan43

He may have been a legendary HotRod builder at some point, much of that should have been attributed to his talented former employees.  TV has exposed him as a little self-absorbed tyrant who is an unreasonable employer. He is a prick, his foreman Dwayne is a bigger prick and I wouldn't let them build a chicken coop for me.

The guy I got my 66 Charger from knows him. Coddington built one or two cars for him and you summed it up JUST ABOUT perfectly, the only part you missed was all around @$$hole!

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: TUFCAT on June 27, 2007, 08:54:46 PM
You didn't have "Dick" as a choice - - so I went with "jerkwad"   :laugh:

whitehatspecial (above)

"He may have been a legendary HotRod builder at some point, much of that should have been attributed to his talented former employees.  TV has exposed him as a little self-absorbed tyrant who is an unreasonable employer. He is a prick, his foreman Dwayne is a bigger prick and I wouldn't let them build a chicken coop for me".

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Big Lebowski

But I like how he fires someone every episode. That's job security taken to a new limit. :RantExplode:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

TUFCAT

Not looking to good for old Boydster right now  :loser: - - 66% of us think he's a   Dick ,  er...um, wait a minute..... "Jerkwad". :down: :down: :down:  Anyway you call it,  that's still a pretty bad reputation.....especially from such a compasionate and forgiving group such as us.   :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: 

:fu: Boyd.

70charger_boy

"hey, ah guys, yeah... we're gonna build this 32 roadster from the ground up and.....ah.....we have 4 weeks to do it"

TUFCAT

Quote from: 70charger_boy on June 28, 2007, 12:30:28 PM

"hey, ah guys, yeah... we're gonna build this 32 roadster from the ground up and.....ah.....we have 4 weeks to do it"

That's FUNNY  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now here's the "correct" response:...........

Really??? ....Then go F*CK yourself boss!!  :2thumbs:

70charger_boy

Quote from: TUFCAT on June 28, 2007, 01:36:01 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on June 28, 2007, 12:30:28 PM

That's FUNNY  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now here's the "correct" response:...........

:cheers:

Really??? ....Then go F*CK yourself boss!!  :2thumbs:

dkn1997

I like the other thread about the belvedere when boyd's name came up and some guy said "I wouln't let him fix me a sandwich" 
RECHRGED

TUFCAT

That was me ....and thank you,  I'll be here all week,  .....please tip your waitresses, and try the veal.   :cheers: 

Now, back to the Boyd bashing.  :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

rt green

floyd who? oh, i remember now. that skinny little shit with the gay shirt.
third string oil changer

hemihead

Him, Foose,and Galen are all in the same league to me. They are all too rich and snobby that they are too far removed from what is really going on in the automotive hobby.They just cater to the money people and the investor types don't even have any clue of how a car is built or how any of it's systems work.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

TUFCAT

Sorry, (but I have to say it) ....I disagree on Galen. I've met him several times, and to me, he's just a regular guy.  :yesnod:  I don't know about Foose (never met him) but he seems like a regular guy on TV and at shows. My Dad spoke with him for a while and gave me the same report. :2thumbs: I met Boyd at a VIP lunch during the job at worked at . This was during the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville, KY two years ago. During the luncheon, he sat alone with his wife at a table for eight. NOBODY wanted to be seated with him. I think that speaks volumes.  :icon_smile_wink:

70charger_boy

Quote from: TUFCAT on June 28, 2007, 07:47:26 PM
Sorry, (but I have to say it) ....I dsagree on Galen. I've met him several times, and to me, he's just a regular guy.  :yesnod:  I don't know about Foose (never met him) buy he seems like a regular guy on TV and at shows. My Dad spoke with him for a while and gave me the same report. :2thumbs: I met Boyd at a VIP lunch during the for the job at worked at . This was during the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville, KY two years ago. During the luncheon, he sat alone with his wife at a table for eight. NOBODY wanted to be seated with him. I think that speaks volumes.  :icon_smile_wink:

I was going to post this for boyd

but...now I feel bad for the guy.  BOYD is cool!!!

70charger_boy

Screw Boyd...He sucks.  Did anyone catch the episode Thursday?  It was about the buried Plymouth.  Next thursday they will show the film footage from the buried plymouth. 

Funny sidenote.  Well, we all know that everyone is quitting Boyd's shop.  Al (the guy who builds the chassis) gave boyd his Notice and is quitting.

Boyds,plastic face, wife Jo  fired some cute girl who was working in the shop.  I think she saw the gold digging potential that she had back in the day when she was fishing for a fat, bald and very rich hot rod shop owner. Notice, I didn't use the word builder?  We all know who really builds the cars

suntech

Coming from where i am, Norway, i have seen these guys just on TV, but if Boyd and his foreman Dwayne actually are like they appear there, they wouldnt be allowed near my property, car, or anything. Just seems to be two giant assholes! We can just hope, for their own sake, that they are just bad acters!!
When i just had bought my 68, i called Steve Thorpe, to ask him about some ideas i have. He seems to be a VERY likeble guy, and very down to earth. I mean, he doesnt know shit about me, but took the time to discuss ideas with me, and told me just to give him a buzz, if there were something he could help me out, with, and point me in right direction. 15 seconds in to the call, he knew that i was not a potential customer, just a guy, with a dream about what to do with my car, and still he took his time to talk, and my emails gets replied fast :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Dennis

Quote from: 72chargerSE on June 27, 2007, 03:10:57 PM
Jerkwad is to nice a word....

Egotistical Knucklehead is more like it.
:yesnod:
Foose moron too...

hemi-hampton

Yeah, I seen that last Episode, That hot Chick they just hired did some nice Burnouts in here 68 Camaro & knew her car stuff better then most. Then they fire her with no good reason, all because Mrs Boyd didn't like her, Whats her problem. LATER :flame: :brickwall: :RantExplode:

rt green

i agree. the chick they fired was pretty cool. she almost made the show worth watching. i think she was going to turn out to be a valueable asset to their shop, but that  catty wife of Boyd's cant see past her own Territorial  problems.  what did she think that the young chick would have the hots for the short fat guy in the Hawaiian shirt, what's his name?  oh ya, prick
third string oil changer

70charger_boy

Quote from: rt green on September 02, 2007, 08:10:11 AM
i agree. the chick they fired was pretty cool. she almost made the show worth watching. i think she was going to turn out to be a valueable asset to their shop, but that  catty wife of Boyd's cant see past her own Territorial  problems.  what did she think that the young chick would have the hots for the short fat guy in the Hawaiian shirt, what's his name?  oh ya, prick

:rofl:  Boyds wife probably fired her, because her gold digger alarm was going off.  I also had to laugh my ass off when Dwayne said he sensed a cat fight and the camera crew filmed 2 cats purring and fighting.  Meow!!  I felt so bad for the girl.  She looked so sad and that Camaro was really nice

Charger1970

Boyd Coddington? More like Boyd Cod-sack-ington. He's a pant-load.
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

Chatt69chgr

When the show first aired, I thought it was kind of interesting.  I mentioned it to a friend of mine and was surprised at his reaction.  He is an old time hot rodder and goes to all the national meets so he had met Coddiington and knew him for what he really is, ie, an A-- H---.  That quickly became apparent to all who watched the show.  My wife didn't like him at all when she saw him ditch his wife for the "other woman".  And that new wife of his is about as cold as they come.  She has been progressively taking over the business and, obviously, was jealous of the new girl Liz.  When they fired Liz that was the last straw for me.  I won't be watching the show anymore.  I just hope Liz shows up over at Foose's place cause that would really make Boyd mad since Foose has ended up with all of Boyd's best people.  Liz was good and I have a feeling we havn't seen the last of her.   

70charger_boy

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on September 02, 2007, 10:26:11 AM
When the show first aired, I thought it was kind of interesting.  I mentioned it to a friend of mine and was surprised at his reaction.  He is an old time hot rodder and goes to all the national meets so he had met Coddiington and knew him for what he really is, ie, an A-- H---.  That quickly became apparent to all who watched the show.  My wife didn't like him at all when she saw him ditch his wife for the "other woman".  And that new wife of his is about as cold as they come.  She has been progressively taking over the business and, obviously, was jealous of the new girl Liz.  When they fired Liz that was the last straw for me.  I won't be watching the show anymore.  I just hope Liz shows up over at Foose's place cause that would really make Boyd mad since Foose has ended up with all of Boyd's best people.  Liz was good and I have a feeling we havn't seen the last of her.   

:iagree:

ChargerSG

Im so tierd of Boyd and that show :eek2:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

keepat

Most of the car shows on TV have to much drama for me, and not enough car stuff! The only show I like is Muscle Car on Spike. They allways have cool projects and great details on body work. :Twocents:

70charger_boy

Quote from: keepat on September 02, 2007, 11:51:14 AM
Most of the car shows on TV have to much drama for me, and not enough car stuff! The only show I like is Muscle Car on Spike. They allways have cool projects and great details on body work. :Twocents:

Did you watch today's episode of Musclecar?  Lou dug into that 67 lemans project.  Alot of people thing he's a loudmouth, but he's alright in my book :2thumbs:  Plus, I like Musclecar, because they don't have all the heavy marketing like the other shows on powerblock

keepat

Yes, great episode Lou knows his shit! And he's not afraid to show his mistake.

Silver R/T

the more famous he became more an ass he grew
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

68Charger4me

I think the producers put her on there to feel her out for her own show, if you check out her website, this girl know her sh*t.

DodgeChargerNeeded

She is the only person that ever worked there to do everything she asked without complaining about it or saying she couldn't do it.
Jeff

Lowprofile

I thought Boyd's show got cancelled?  :shruggy:

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger

hemi-hampton

keepat, I work in many body shops & unfortunately thats the way it goes. You always have the total Idiot clueless motherf*cking get a clue Manager & Boss always screwing up everything & then taking zero responsibility because they are the Boss or Manager & all that makes for all the Drama you see on these shows. But If I had to guess 90% of the Drama gets cut out or edited being to harsh for real TV. I know, been there. If you sneeze wrong or Fart or give the boss or Manager a odd look they dont like thats it, Pack up, You could get fired that easy at anytime. Disagree with anything they say, blame them for anything, dont kiss there ass 100% & thats it your fired. No union to protect you. When I first watched Boyd's show I thought I wouldn't mind working there. After 3 Episodes I said I could never work there with those Idiots Bluebeard (long gone) Dwayne. Only guy that new anything was that Bushy Mustached frame guy & he quite at least twice allready, I see why & that Old timer Roy but he quite also. LATER :eek2:

70charger_boy

Actually, Roy died.  He was a cool old guy

wetfeetmi

The entire show is an hour long drama and nothing to do with building cars. It is coached and scripted. The producers think it sells better if it is a soap opera. Liz was an obvious plant. Everybody is an actor. Boyd's wife is the worst actor among the bunch. The next script calls for Boyd's wife to take over the shop. Who cares? In the real world, management skills like his would implode your company in short order. IMO the most entertaining show about cars is Dream Car Garage (even with all of the sponsor plugs). They at least show some process. Lou on Musclecar is hard to take for half an hour.

70charger_boy

bull

Why do people spend so much time worrying about Foose and Coddington? I think I've seen maybe 30 minutes combined of both their shows. They're soap operas for men. :nana:

70charger_boy

Quote from: bull on September 02, 2007, 05:19:42 PM
Why do people spend so much time worrying about Foose and Coddington? I think I've seen maybe 30 minutes combined of both their shows. They're soap operas for men. :nana:

You know that there is a couple of openings in his shop.  So put on some high heels, a cute mini skirt and some cherry lipstick.

oh and be sure to shave your legs and armpits :nana:

Dennis

Quote from: hemihead on June 28, 2007, 07:41:01 PM
Him, Foose,and Galen are all in the same league to me. They are all too rich and snobby that they are too far removed from what is really going on in the automotive hobby.They just cater to the money people and the investor types don't even have any clue of how a car is built or how any of it's systems work.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

bull

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 02, 2007, 05:26:07 PM

You know that there is a couple of openings in his shop.  So put on some high heels, a cute mini skirt and some cherry lipstick.

I bet you wouldn't miss a single minute of the show if that happened. :yesnod:

70charger_boy

Quote from: bull on September 02, 2007, 06:21:21 PM

:iagree:  and you won't have to work the night shift

bull

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 02, 2007, 06:30:23 PM

:girlfight:

Lowprofile

Quote from: bull on September 02, 2007, 10:47:42 PM
Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 02, 2007, 06:30:23 PM

:girlfight:

Alright Ladies, back to your corners!   :D :nana: :D

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger

69DodgeCharger

http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

70charger_boy

bill440rt

I will agree, Boyd seems like a tyrant to work for, and his shop is run like a disorganized mess.

I DON'T see what the problem is with Foose. His crew works together like a Swiss watch. He's been cranking out some very impressive cars, much more so than Boyd. Is it any wonder why Boyd's employees have quit to then work for Foose?
It seems like Foose at least genuinely cares a little about his customers. Sorry, I disagree with the position here about Chip Foose.
Rant off...
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

GeneralLeeTESH

LIZ is HOT. Hot enough to work at HOOTERS !!!  :o :yesnod: :cheers:
The TESH

Brock Samson

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on September 03, 2007, 06:01:03 AM
Here's something you Boyd fans may get a chuckle out of.

http://www.nationaltbucketalliance.com/bb2005/detailx.asp?Id=100560

WOW!  :eek2: what a freakin mess!  that post is extremely well written BTW..   :2thumbs:

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: bill440rt on September 03, 2007, 09:15:39 AM
I will agree, Boyd seems like a tyrant to work for, and his shop is run like a disorganized mess.

I DON'T see what the problem is with Foose. His crew works together like a Swiss watch. He's been cranking out some very impressive cars, much more so than Boyd. Is it any wonder why Boyd's employees have quit to then work for Foose?
It seems like Foose at least genuinely cares a little about his customers. Sorry, I disagree with the position here about Chip Foose.
Rant off...

I agree. From what I've ssen and heard of Chip, he is a genuine guy with a lot of skills but he knows how let other people show their skills too.
My opinion is that he is a designer that can get his hands dirty when required.
He can paint, but he's smart enough to hire a guy like Charlie.
He can pinstripe, but he's smart enough to get that old guy to come in and do it for him.
The list goes on... I think. He's not one to sit in the office and bark orders.

Getting the best of the best to work for you requires a genuine respect for them and some humility on your own part.

The skill that is highlighted on the show is his ability to listen to friends and family speak about what their "mark" wants and who their "mark" is in life and to the people around them and turn that into a design reflective of the "mark." I'm pretty sure you can't be an arrogant dickhead and pull that off day after day.

Add to that the fact that he puts in 20 hour days to make an automotive dream come true for someone else, and it's hard to think of him in the same hemisphere as Coddington, let alone the same league. He could easily say, "It'll get done when it gets done and you'll like it." but he doesn't.

gordo1968charger

from what i ve seen:foose has skills,coddington does nt.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

70charger_boy

Quote from: GeneralLeeTESH on September 03, 2007, 10:20:58 AM
LIZ is HOT. Hot enough to work at HOOTERS !!!  :o :yesnod: :cheers:

Speaking of Hooters :drool5:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33258.msg362423.html#msg362423

I love your cars, Tesh.  Jimmy's bee is freaking hot as hooters wings