News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Worlds Oldest Car for sale

Started by PocketThunder, June 27, 2007, 10:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/25/autos/worlds_oldest_car/index.htm

What i've always wondered about steam powered cars is how often does the driver need to stop and restock the boiler with coal?  or wood or whatever they used back then.  I suppose they werent going that far to and from, so it probably wasnt a bother.  And coal was abundant at everyones home back then so they could "fill up" pretty much anywhere.

Anywho, thought this was kind of neat.

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ramit

I bet Jay Leno will buy it.  He is in to those old steam cars.

Charger_Fan

I wonder how many NOS parts are still available for that. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hutch

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

pandamarie

I have a friend that has 2 stanley steamers and they are fueled by kerosene, the cars are only good for about 45 miles if they have an efficiant condensor and recovery system, Lenos Dolber steamer was the best steamer built and will go about 100 miles before needing water. I hate going on tour with the steamers, its like riding behind a spray of hot water and oil, if your behind one you have to clean your windshiels every 5 miles.

TUFCAT

At that point - - I'd still rather have the "old fashioned" horse.  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:  What a P.O.S !

PocketThunder

Quote from: TUFCAT on June 27, 2007, 01:51:44 PM
At that point - - I'd still rather have the "old fashioned" horse.  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:  What a P.O.S !
I dont think the horse could go 100 miles without water though... :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

TUFCAT

yeah - - and the "emissions" are pretty bad also.... :icon_smile_angry:.

41husk

Quote from: TUFCAT on June 27, 2007, 02:11:33 PM
yeah - - and the "emissions" are pretty bad also.... :icon_smile_angry:.
[/quote

For the horse or the steamer?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Magnumcharger

Yeah, but its GREEN!!!   ECO-FRIENDLY!!  And other horseshit catch phrases!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TUFCAT

The horse shit. Now that pollutes more than any steam car! - - or todays cars for that matter!!!  Can you image the roads of those days...? The dung piles, the flies, and the STINK!.  Sorry, I think good old gasoline internal combustion works just fine.  :icon_smile_tongue:  By the way, if you go to Mackinac Island in upper Michigan you''ll see (and be stepping over) plenty of horse shit covering the roads where you're walking - - and just for the record.....Steam is for whimps.  :2thumbs:

Magnumcharger (a guy who appreciates "fake horsepower" just like the rest of us) is right about being ECO-FRIENDLY!!  Sure it is.....Now, we wonder if those 'tree-huggin' groups who bitch about modern cars would rather put up with Horse Shit or cars that can only go 100 miles beore they need water??

Sorry  :soapbox:

PocketThunder

http://www.stanleymotorcarriage.com/

I want one of these now!  I just spent the last half hour (i mean my lunch hour) reading about steam cars.  How cool would that be to have one of these for Sunday afternoon rides around town?  Pretty cool if you ask me.   :2thumbs:

Anyone know where i can find a Stanley Steam car for sale?   :scratchchin:  Might have to build a kit car i suppose.  or clone it somehow..

TruckDriver

Quote from: ramit on June 27, 2007, 10:19:49 AM
I bet Jay Leno will buy it.  He is in to those old steam cars.
:iagree:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Sinister68

I'd take one of these:yesnod:

You could run them on almost anything...
Quote- Tuning-up is almost eliminated
- Low-temperature starting difficulties are eliminated
- No warm-up period is necessary
- Instant heat is available in the winter
- The engine will not stall with sudden overloading
- Engine operation is vibration-free
- Operates on wide variety of fuels
- Exhaust gases are cool and clean
-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

Chargerfanatic

That is always neat. The oldest running car I had seen was at an estate auction. It was a 1904 Buick.

87 Shelby GLHS