News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OOPS...

Started by alfanta, June 28, 2007, 10:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfanta

so i just got my transmission rebuilt, and after doin all the stuff to make sure its ready to go, driving it short ammounts of time to make sure its all right and stuff, ya konw taking it easy for a littl ewhile, i drove it 2 hrs from findlay ohio to cincinnati where I am going to school, well about 15 min from my place i blew something out the oil pan. There is a hole about the size of a nickel in the side of it. I donno what it was, but its definitly not good. Im thinking im going to have to rebuild the engine. 

It originally had a 318, but I have a hookup on getting a 440 with transmission for only $300. Do you guys think it would be worth changing it? Its already not a numbers matching car the trasmission was change when the case cracked. Since I have to rebuild the engine anyways Im thinking just rebuild the 440. I dont know what all I will need to replace, can anyone tell me so I can look at the finances of it and see if its worth it? Im guessing mounts, transmission, exhaust, just off the top of my head. Does the wiring harness need changed?

Let me konw what you guys think.

-RJ

Charger1973

If its a 73 or newer you need a different K frame or else you need to buy the conversion mounts.  72 and older just change motor mounts... 

alfanta

it is a 73, thanks.

alfanta

what about the conversion kit available from year one?

http://yearone.com/pco/1_0906/0179z.asp

is that good, have people used that? I havent done an engine swap before, but i have rebuilt an engine before so I will be able to do it. I just want to get all my ducks in a row first.

Charger1973

http://www.engine-swaps.com/

Those sound good from the ad.  Heres a link to a site I always hear about.  Ive never used the mounts though, so I cant say.  Im changing my K frame.  I have a 318 car with a 400 motor. 

68chrgrwife

You would need to change out the engine wiring harness too.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

alfanta

ok, thanks. What about upgrading brakes/suspension like ive heard suggest and Definitly am thinking is a good idea  :icon_smile_big: I dont wanna rear end someone or tear something apart. Right now I would like to know the MINIMUM amount that i have to upgrade and change on the car in order to get it to be safe to operate, later down the line i will work on making it handle great, etc. I am planning on eventually upgrading to disks in the rear. Im also looking at some of the weight saving possibilities on the front end.  MAYBE something along the lines of this in the far future. Knowing my luck not any sooner than 2 years

http://www.magnumforceracing.com/magnumforce_tubular_kmember.htm

Charger1973

73s came standard with front disc brakes so you are fine there.  I would just rebuild them...  but its up to you what you want to do.  You could always convert to disc in the rear too but I dont know the details of that swap, its something I havent got to yet...

68chrgrwife

Quote from: alfanta on June 28, 2007, 11:51:38 PM
ok, thanks. What about upgrading brakes/suspension like ive heard suggest and Definitly am thinking is a good idea  :icon_smile_big: I dont wanna rear end someone or tear something apart. Right now I would like to know the MINIMUM amount that i have to upgrade and change on the car in order to get it to be safe to operate, later down the line i will work on making it handle great, etc. I am planning on eventually upgrading to disks in the rear. Im also looking at some of the weight saving possibilities on the front end.  MAYBE something along the lines of this in the far future. Knowing my luck not any sooner than 2 years

We upgraded ours and I believe that we also had to change out the rearend....
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

alfanta

Ill look at the rear end that i have, I THINK, i have the 8 3/4 rear dif. I dont know if that was available in 73 or not, but this car was so bastardized by its previous owner that he may have changed it. anyways, I had a leak and had the change out the gasket, and i think the gasket i got was for that. all i know is its one heavy mofo. lol How can I identify the rear end? can i count the bolts? I think when i fixed the leak it had either 9 or 11 bolts. I cant remember though.

The rear disc conversion will wait if possible, I just want to make sure it is safe. The front suspension system that i posted the link to I will not be buying for a while, like I said its more likely to be 2 or more years down the road. So do i need to upgrade the brakes on the rear? or are the drums ok? I seem to remember the drums being bigger than they were supposed to be as well. I think i my have 10.5" drums? what sizes were put on them?

ok so list so far (aside from typical engine rebuild parts):

Mounts/k-member
Wiring harness-Thank god, mine was so terrible anyways.
Transmission (im planning on using my internals from my rebuilt one with only 200 miles on it in the case of the 727 BB)

I guess im gonna have to start selling parts off my 318...I have an edelbrock intake and carb...only a 650. :rotz: far too small for the 440

Is $300 a fair deal for the motor and tranny? The guy SAYS it was running when he parted everythign else out, but we've all heard that story.

68chrgrwife

Quote from: alfanta on June 29, 2007, 12:28:18 AM
Ill look at the rear end that i have, I THINK, i have the 8 3/4 rear dif. I dont know if that was available in 73 or not, but this car was so bastardized by its previous owner that he may have changed it. anyways, I had a leak and had the change out the gasket, and i think the gasket i got was for that. all i know is its one heavy mofo. lol How can I identify the rear end? can i count the bolts? I think when i fixed the leak it had either 9 or 11 bolts. I cant remember though.

The rear disc conversion will wait if possible, I just want to make sure it is safe. The front suspension system that i posted the link to I will not be buying for a while, like I said its more likely to be 2 or more years down the road. So do i need to upgrade the brakes on the rear? or are the drums ok? I seem to remember the drums being bigger than they were supposed to be as well. I think i my have 10.5" drums? what sizes were put on them?

ok so list so far (aside from typical engine rebuild parts):

Mounts/k-member
Wiring harness-Thank god, mine was so terrible anyways.
Transmission (im planning on using my internals from my rebuilt one with only 200 miles on it in the case of the 727 BB)

I guess im gonna have to start selling parts off my 318...I have an edelbrock intake and carb...only a 650. :rotz: far too small for the 440

Is $300 a fair deal for the motor and tranny? The guy SAYS it was running when he parted everythign else out, but we've all heard that story.

Hubby says that you can tell what rear end size you have by the size of your brakes.. (pretty sure) 8 1/4 rear end would have 9 in. brakes (which is what you should have for a 318 engine, but it could have been upgraded to a 8 3/4 if there was a different driveshaft placed in it)...8 3/4 would have 10 or 11 inch brakes.   You need a 8 3/4 rear for a 440/727 trans.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

alfanta

ok, thanks for the info. Ill check that out tomorrow when its not 2am  :icon_smile_big:

If anyone still has some input, I would definitly appreciate it. Im going to bed now, taking a trip to the junk yard tomorrow and then to check my charger after that. I Appreciate the help.

-RJ

alfanta

If my car was a 318 with a 727 what rear end SHOULD it have?

Charger1973

8 3/4 rear ends dont have a cover on the back, its welded and the center section pulls out from the front side.  Heres an ID chart that should help.  For a 73 318 car I would guess its an 8 1/4

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25934.0;id=38994;image

Charger1973

And $300 for a running 440 and trans is a damn good deal...  if its in the shape he says its in.

alfanta

ok now im 90% sure its an 8 3/4. I had to pull the dif out to the front to get the gasket on. Ill check anyways though. Thanks.

according to that info the 440 should have the Dana 60 rear end. should i look at upgrading to that rear end in the future or will the smaller one suffice? what kind of performance differences are there? I MAY be able to pick up the rear end from the guy that im getting the engine from as well if he still has it.

As far as it being in the condition he says its in, well we have all heard that story "It ran when I pulled it out". I saw a pic, It looked like it needed rebuilt, Im planning on rebuilding it, and taking the time to do it right. I know at this point I will not be driving my charger the rest of this year. sadly.

alfanta

Maybe I have that rear end b/c I have a 727?

Charger1973

Every 73 or 74 Charger I have had came with the 8 1/4 and that includes 5 318 cars and 2 400 cars.  I dont know the details on what came with what specifically or even if the info on that chart is correct.  I just use it for the pictures.  If you pulled the center section out the front then it is an 8 3/4...  unless someones really done some customizing and its a rear end from another vehicle like a Ford 9 inch or something like that. 

alfanta

ok, well like i said when i bought the gasket I thought i rememberd getting the 8 3/4 bolt pattern one. Like I said, this car has been bastardized so much, wouldnt the ford 9" be a good thing? aside from the fact its a ford part :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Charger74

[ I am planning on eventually upgrading to disks in the rear. Im also looking at some of the weight saving possibilities on the front end.  MAYBE something along the lines of this in the far future. Knowing my luck not any sooner than 2 years

Don't bother, they won't work on 73 and up.  This stuff is only for 72 and older.  Our front ends/k members are completely different.  You may be ok running to 440 with the disk brakes on it currently, ran mine for almost 10 years setup that way.    I would suggest upgrading the torsion bars though, the stock ones may not hold up for very long.

alfanta

ok, Are there any vehicles I can take the torsion bars out of? like an old truck or van? Im going to the junk yard later today just to see what all i find.