News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hooker Headers

Started by my73charger, June 25, 2007, 11:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

my73charger

Has anyone here put Hooker headers on their 73 Charger  440?  If so, how do they fit?  Any clearance problems?  I currently have the Hedman Headers but want to upgrade soon.

aifilaw

I put hookers on a '72, fit was good except for the starter...needed to be bent back just a tad.

Make the investment, get the expensive things, I forget their name, but they are ~$500
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Purple440

Are you referring to TTI?

What's wrong with hedman headers aside from the fact that the starter and some plugs are a biatch to get to?

73chargercali

i agree the hedman elites are great inmo. the pass side plugs are quite a pain though. from my experience on 73/74 hooker headers didn't work too well, but that was small block and had horrible clearence problems and center link went through the headers.  if you want to upgrade than tti would be your best bet.

Charger1973

Do you guys have any pics of your headers on a 73?  Anyone actually got the TTIs??

73chargercali

the first is the hookers on the center link on my 74 the second is the best pic on file of the engine with hedmans and third is only real pic of engine in car with headers not really a great shot.

my73charger

I like the Hedman's fine.  The thing that I am looking at is the Hedman Headers have a 1-3/4" tube and the Hookers have 1-7/8" and I am right in the horsepower range where I am losing some performance with the smaller tube.  I am just looking at performance issues and nothing more.

Purple440

What's the HP range where 1 3/4 are limiting the engine? 

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on July 02, 2007, 10:24:54 PM
What's the HP range where 1 3/4 are limiting the engine? 

My rule of thumb (not necessarily gospel) is :

13/4 for up to 450hp
17/8 for 450-550 hp
2in for 550hp +

*** really big cube combos will like even more header primary diameter 21/8, 21/4 etc....

On a 440 the primary tube diameter will determine the engine's peak tq by rpm :

13/4 approx 3500
17/8 approx 4000
2in aaprox 4500

This is why it's important to match components for the best results. Running a cam with a tq peak of 4500 rpm with a small tube (13/4) header will bring the tq peak down somewhat which in turn will affect the peak hp #'s. The smaller tube by virtue of it's size can alter an engines output. If the tube is too small it will lower the max hp rpm and ultimately lower the power output.

These are not exact numbers or thresholds....just approximations/guidelines.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Purple440

So hypothetically a cam with 230/230 @.050 on a 440 running 1 3/4 headers would be ok?  My dyno peak was 358 a the rear wheels.  Since then I've plugged some leaks and such but I'm sure I'm at or below 400hp on a chassis dyno.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Purple440 on July 02, 2007, 11:01:30 PM
So hypothetically a cam with 230/230 @.050 on a 440 running 1 3/4 headers would be ok?  My dyno peak was 358 a the rear wheels.  Since then I've plugged some leaks and such but I'm sure I'm at or below 400hp on a chassis dyno.

With those numbers a 13/4in header is fine, inmo. :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

my73charger

I am right in the 475hp range and I haven't yet purchased aluminum heads.  I am told I can expect another 50hp gain when I add them so I will probably do it all at once, maybe next year.  I am just doing some homework on the headers.  I ultimately would like TTI headers, just not sure I can afford them.  Does anyone here run TTI on there 73 440?  What did you pay for them?  I would want the coated ones as well.

firefighter3931

Quote from: my73charger on July 03, 2007, 07:48:28 AM
I am right in the 475hp range and I haven't yet purchased aluminum heads.  I am told I can expect another 50hp gain when I add them so I will probably do it all at once, maybe next year.  I am just doing some homework on the headers.  I ultimately would like TTI headers, just not sure I can afford them.  Does anyone here run TTI on there 73 440?  What did you pay for them?  I would want the coated ones as well.

If you go with an angled plug head (Eddy RPM/Indy EZ) then the tti's are the obvious choice.  :yesnod:

The new 440 Source aluminum heads that will be available early next year will have a straight plug.....so header options are more plentiful. With those heads a 17/8in Hooker "Comp" header would be an excellent choice. Those are available ceramic coated at 1/2 the price of TTI's.  ;)

Ron