News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil Dipstick Location???

Started by BATMAN, March 15, 2007, 09:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BATMAN

This may sound stupid, but where the hell does the oil dipstick go on a 440?  I looked at my oil pan and didn't see a spot for one any where on it.......this is the first mopar I have worked on so does it go somewhere else???  Also what side of the tranny does the trans dipstick go on just so I don't waste my time searching for it tomorrow.  Thanks.

Ghoste

It is on the lower edge of the engine block near the drivers side motor mount.  Your trans one is one the passenger side near the front at about thepoint where the bellhousing portion meets the valve body housing (where the casting goes from flared to flat).  It comes up between the firewall and the rear of the passenger cylinder head.  (this is so you can spill tranny fluid all over the hot exhaust once in a while)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Yeah there.  :icon_smile_big:

Now you need one for the other side.

BATMAN

Thanks for the help.  I found where it goes....now only if I could find the dipstick I ordered from year one.  I have way to many parts laying around and can't seem to locate it.  Now all I have left to do before I start my motor is my wiring, filling all the fluid up, and putting the carb on.  So close.......  I'll get it running within two weeks.

resq302

Damn Chris!   Don't tell me you pulled your engine to repaint that too over the winter?!?!?! :o ???
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on March 16, 2007, 06:55:50 PM
Damn Chris! Don't tell me you pulled your engine to repaint that too over the winter?!?!?! :o ???
Thats a big negative there Brian......that pic was shot in '04 when I rebuilt the engine....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BATMAN

I ended up ordering a new oil dipstick tube from yearone tonight.  I had to call them though as they had the tube for the 68 but didn't have the dipstick???  They told me that the dipstick for the 70 and up big block would work but will have a 3 inch longer handle so I ordered that only to find out it will take 2 weeks as they are out of stock of that one.  Has anybody else used this dipstick in their motor?

Also, I ordered the wire for the neutral safety switch that goes from the starter realay to the trans....only problem is I am not sure if my switch works.  I figured I might as well replace it while I'm under the car hooking up the linkage and trans cooler lines.  Yearone only has the one for the 69-84 727 tranny, is there a difference from the 68? 

Thanks

Ghoste

Yes, 68 and back used a two wire switch and in 69 they went to a setup with three terminals coming off the switch.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Ghoste on March 24, 2007, 04:22:28 AM
Yes, 68 and back used a two wire switch and in 69 they went to a setup with three terminals coming off the switch.

2 ? I think is one wire for the neutral/parking ground...

3 wires kind are one for the same and the other two for the in and out reverse switch wires
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

Yes, you are absolutely and completely correct. I don't know where I keep getting this two wire idea from.
What's worse is that I believe you have schooled me on this before Natcho, and my 67 is the same as the 68 of course.  A big  :slap: for me.

Charger-Bodie

a 68 has a 2 wire switch on the shifter in the console or a 2 wire on the column for the b/u lights and a 1 wire neutal safty switch in the tranny
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Ghoste on March 25, 2007, 08:53:55 AM
Yes, you are absolutely and completely correct. I don't know where I keep getting this two wire idea from.
What's worse is that I believe you have schooled me on this before Natcho, and my 67 is the same as the 68 of course.  A big  :slap: for me.

Don't worry, I have patiente LOL.

Coming back to topic... does somebody knows if somebody makes 73 and laters oil dipstick and tube assembly ? the MP one ( on Chriss' pic ) doesn't fit right due the different engine mount and needs to be bended. I tried and had to bend one that cudaken sent me LOOOONG time ago.

In fact I think dipstick itself also have different reading.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

DANF

Hey Nacho - did you ever get a solution to your question?  I have a 74 440 with new poly motor mounts and I can't make my dipstick work in this set up.  My dipstick came out of a older 383  so there is no way this is going to work. :brickwall:

Has anyone else solved this before?

Check out my pic.

thanks
Dan

andy74

i have a 68 440 im my 72,and i used the mopar performance chrome dip stick and tube,had to grind the chrome off the very end where it goes in the block,but other than that it fits fine,and bolted right up on the engine mount too

firefighter3931

Quote from: DANF on June 25, 2007, 10:39:18 AM
Hey Nacho - did you ever get a solution to your question?  I have a 74 440 with new poly motor mounts and I can't make my dipstick work in this set up.  My dipstick came out of a older 383  so there is no way this is going to work. :brickwall:

Check out my pic.

thanks
Dan

Dan, there are a few companies out there that sell flexible dipsticks/tubes. That might be an option if clearance is tight around the poly mount. Lokar & Milidon are 2 names that come to mind.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Brock Samson

actually if your charger's 440 is like Recharger's,.. it goes in the tree...  :shruggy:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: DANF on June 25, 2007, 10:39:18 AM

Check out my pic.

thanks
Dan

dunno if you got the email replay I sent you from cell phone to the one you sent me... I just bended untill made it fit. Thanks God I got it for free. Mopar performance Chromed is simply made to 72 and earlies... to 73 and later with the later engine mount simply doesn't fit without bend.

Quote from: andy74 on June 25, 2007, 06:32:55 PM
i have a 68 440 im my 72,and i used the mopar performance chrome dip stick and tube,had to grind the chrome off the very end where it goes in the block,but other than that it fits fine,and bolted right up on the engine mount too

No prob with 72 since use the same earliers engine mount.