News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

info or opinion on Jasper kit engines please?

Started by SeattleCharger, September 14, 2005, 12:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeattleCharger

Hi, a guy was helping my dad move the other day and he was saying how he could get a Jasper kit 440 engine complete for about 700 buck because he had a mechanics discount.   This seems pretty cheap.     He was telling me about all the parts it has in it and all the stuff it comes with, and it seems like a good deal, but was difficult to believe.   Didn't know if he was exagerating or misinformed or something.   The quote I got to rebuild my 440 was about 3500.        
  I looked on the Jasper website and they don't have prices, you need to give them your personal info.   Thanks for any info.
Nate

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Chryco Psycho

I would need to see exactly which parts are supplied in the Jasper kits

SeattleCharger

I can't remember all he said, but I will try and see if I can get a hold of him and ask him, the Jasper website doesn't have many details in it.
Thanks, Nate

bull

You might try calling Jasper to get the rundown. We purchased a Jasper rebuilt Ford transmission at my 2nd job a while back and I'm thinking it cost about $1,100 and I believe that includes any mechanics discount so $700 might be a low estimate. Still, if you're forced to do things on the cheaps then Jasper might be the way to go. I can pretty much guarantee it will cost less than $3,500, at least for now. :P

cudaken

Jasper is a good company, friend of mine was a installer for a company that did nothing but Jasper engine and Scott has good thing to say about them.

I will be a stock OK parts like the engine came with, no go fast stuff. Does not mean it bad at all, just stock.

Get some detail's on the piston's, ring's bearing ETC. Prices sounds OK, not a give away but not to cheap either. Last time I looked PAW had kits in the same prices rang and they tell have inthe ad what parts they come with.

Cuda Ken
I am back

XXSpiralXX

Alot of the vehicles at Kennedy airport have jasper engines in them. Theyre expensive but they last a long time. I havent heard of any problems with any of them.

SeattleCharger

Thanks for the info, I am going to try and find the actual cost with the mechanic discount, I don't know if they sell different build version, he said the stock Jasper 440 has 325 horsepower, I am going to put on something like a Holley 750 cfm. Street Dominator and a higher rise style intake, don't know what that will do for the horsepower.   I was hoping the Jasper company offers a 440 with a more hot rodded cam in it, maybe they do, otherwise I would just get the 325 horsepower one and put the big carb on it.   I don't know.  

Thanks,
Nate

cudaken

Are you buying a kite or a engine from them? There is no way it could be a 440 for $700.00. Get more details about the kite. Is the 325 HP what it was rated from Maw Mopar or from Dyo pulls they have made?

Cuda Ken

I am back

Steve P.

When I had my shops some years back, I used very many Jasper engines. The prices vary. Small block Chevy and Fords are the cheapest.. I never had a problem with any of them.. I can tell you that they regrind most of the cams and don't use high end gasket sets.. You can always change the cam, lifters and springs as they test the springs and reuse the good ones.. Also, NO balancing..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

cudaken

SeattleChargerDog I just stopped and look at the PIC of what I think is your engine. If it is has it been punched or honed? With out the new pistons that is a big No No!

Punched is a real big deal, not fatual but still a big deal. New pistons need to be messuerd then punch the block.

Cuda Ken
I am back

SeattleCharger

The engine was taken to a machine shop and disassembled and cleaned, nothing else was done to it.  It looks like it needs a bore job, I still have to decide on what I am going to do, rebuild that one at the shop for 3500, balanced, nice cam, new everything except crank, or get a Jasper maybe, I don't know.  Or I can maybe get it rebuilt at the college, they have a machine shop to bore it, but then I have to work with the teacher as far as picking out all the internal parts, like pistons, cam, etc.   Also is prob. won't be balanced, and students will be boring it, could be risky, I don't know.
Thanks,
Nate