News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 buy? (Updated, went and looked at it)

Started by terrible one, June 20, 2007, 01:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Well I posted a want ad in my local newspaper for a 440/727 and got a reply, that goes as such:

I have a 78 Pace Arrow motor home with a 440 engine and a working 727 trans. I drove it home from where I bought. It ran and shifted good [shows 78k miles] you can buy it without the 6.5 onan generator for $500 or with the working Generator $1000. Interior is in bad shape [roof leaked]

Of course, I don't want the generator. Would $500 for the whole motorhome seem okay to you guys? Of course, I would sell the thing after ripping the engine and trans out to the scrap yard. How much do you think I could get for it? Would such a late model 440 be worth it?

andy74

I would jump on that,but keep in mind it is a pain in the ass to pull the motor,and some locations wont even take motor homes for scrap-last one i helped a buddy with he donated the body to the local fire department to burn for a drill,but for 500 bones grab it quick,and remember a sawsall is your friend!

aone415

seems like a fair price, I just got a 440 and a 727 for $500 last weekend  :2thumbs:

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

PocketThunder

Quote from: andy74 on June 20, 2007, 07:26:14 AM
I would jump on that,but keep in mind it is a pain in the ass to pull the motor,and some locations wont even take motor homes for scrap-last one i helped a buddy with he donated the body to the local fire department to burn for a drill,but for 500 bones grab it quick,and remember a sawsall is your friend!

:yesnod:  buy it.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

terrible one

Thanks guys. I guess I'll go for it. I just have to find room for the sucker while I rip the engine out! Will give an update after the seller gets back to me. . .

BigBlockSam

motor home motors make good hp engines .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

41husk

It is a good buy, but make sure you have a way to dispose of the carcus!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

Can you go tear it out where the motor home sits or do you have to take the whole thing?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hutch

hell, pull the engine and drag the old bus out into the woods and have yourself a summer home.  :2thumbs:   
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

PocketThunder

Quote from: hutch on June 20, 2007, 12:17:35 PM
hell, pull the engine and drag the old bus out into the woods and have yourself a summer home.  :2thumbs:   

Or a stabin cabin...... :whistling:

terrible one

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 20, 2007, 12:00:01 PM
Can you go tear it out where the motor home sits or do you have to take the whole thing?

They say all or nothing. I guess they don't have any more use for it than I do. Hopefully I can find a scrap place to take it.

terrible one

Haha I actually thought about that. . .  :scratchchin:

Needa68

Drive fast, make the light.

The Mitchell & Mitchell 1968 Dodge Restorations

http://www.68dodgerestorations.com

PocketThunder

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 20, 2007, 12:38:55 PM

:slap:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

terrible one

I think I'm going to go look at it and hear it run tomorrow. Should I have a problem with dropping it right into my Charger besides the oil pan? Anything that I need to look for? Also, would this be a big enough vehicle to have the wierd heads that the water pump attaches to for better cooling? I hope not. . .

BigBlockSam

you have to change the water pump housing. i beleive the lower hose is on the wrong side for a 2nd gen charger. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

terrible one

Thanks Rene.

I think that if he will let me, I'll just pull the engine and leave the motorhome with him. I guess a running 440/727 alone for $500 is still a good deal. Hopefully he won't mind me getting at the motorhome with my sawzall.

BigBlockSam

terrible one

Alright, went out there today. Firstly, it looks damn near impossible to get it out without cutting the front open. I can't even tell if it's possible to take the front apart nicely at all. I was looking and thinking about dropping it out from the bottom too. Is that a possibility? I'm kind of worried about getting it out. However, the guy fired it up and everything. It ran fine, started up without any hesitation, was smooth, no noise or chatter, etc. It seems the guy has changed his mind and only wants to give me the motor and transmission for $500. Anyways, now I'm contemplating just taking the whole motorhome for just a bit more (if I can find a yard that will come get it) so that I can have my way and cut the front open and make getting it out easier, as the guy doesn't want me to hack it up. Here are some pictures. I cleaned off the ID pad the best I could, and read 8 T 440 E, which I believe decodes to a '78 (8 ) 440 (440) with a cast crank (E), built at the Trenton plant (T). I don't really know RB Mopars, but I'm pretty sure this is a normal 440, and doesn't have the funky waterpump/head setup. Can anyone confirm? Here are some pictures:

Mean 318

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 20, 2007, 12:38:55 PM

:haha:

Charger_Fan

If I'm not mistaken, the only way to remove the engine from that type of motorhome without actually lifting the body off the frame, is to remove the windshields & go through there. I doubt you'd come up with a cherry picker that would fenangle that one.

One of our new members snagged a 440 from a motorhome too. Here's some pics on his site, scroll down to the bottom to see theyi plan of attack...

http://geocities.com/robertmitchell32000/CHARGER/TheMitchells68Charger.html?pg=13&cnt=5&t=a

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

good goin TO and good luck with that...   :2thumbs:

terrible one

I think that the best way is obviously to get the whole thing and take a sawsall to it. I found a couple yards around here that will take the motorhome, and I'm going to call one of them tomorrow and work out a deal to where they come pick it up and pay me less. It's weight as stated in the owner's manual is 13,000 pounds so I know it's worth some money in scrap. Hopefully I can get them to pick it up and just pay me less for it. Either way, the Charger should be powered as soon as I can get this thing in there and wired up and find a driveshaft.  :icon_smile_big:

terrible one

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on June 30, 2007, 03:59:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the only way to remove the engine from that type of motorhome without actually lifting the body off the frame, is to remove the windshields & go through there. I doubt you'd come up with a cherry picker that would fenangle that one.

One of our new members snagged a 440 from a motorhome too. Here's some pics on his site, scroll down to the bottom to see theyi plan of attack...

http://geocities.com/robertmitchell32000/CHARGER/TheMitchells68Charger.html?pg=13&cnt=5&t=a

That looks like the perfect way to do it. Exactly what I had in mind. Now where's that sawsall. . .