News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 buy? (Updated, went and looked at it)

Started by terrible one, June 20, 2007, 01:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Well I posted a want ad in my local newspaper for a 440/727 and got a reply, that goes as such:

I have a 78 Pace Arrow motor home with a 440 engine and a working 727 trans. I drove it home from where I bought. It ran and shifted good [shows 78k miles] you can buy it without the 6.5 onan generator for $500 or with the working Generator $1000. Interior is in bad shape [roof leaked]

Of course, I don't want the generator. Would $500 for the whole motorhome seem okay to you guys? Of course, I would sell the thing after ripping the engine and trans out to the scrap yard. How much do you think I could get for it? Would such a late model 440 be worth it?

andy74

I would jump on that,but keep in mind it is a pain in the ass to pull the motor,and some locations wont even take motor homes for scrap-last one i helped a buddy with he donated the body to the local fire department to burn for a drill,but for 500 bones grab it quick,and remember a sawsall is your friend!

aone415

seems like a fair price, I just got a 440 and a 727 for $500 last weekend  :2thumbs:

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

PocketThunder

Quote from: andy74 on June 20, 2007, 07:26:14 AM
I would jump on that,but keep in mind it is a pain in the ass to pull the motor,and some locations wont even take motor homes for scrap-last one i helped a buddy with he donated the body to the local fire department to burn for a drill,but for 500 bones grab it quick,and remember a sawsall is your friend!

:yesnod:  buy it.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

terrible one

Thanks guys. I guess I'll go for it. I just have to find room for the sucker while I rip the engine out! Will give an update after the seller gets back to me. . .

BigBlockSam

motor home motors make good hp engines .
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

41husk

It is a good buy, but make sure you have a way to dispose of the carcus!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

Can you go tear it out where the motor home sits or do you have to take the whole thing?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hutch

hell, pull the engine and drag the old bus out into the woods and have yourself a summer home.  :2thumbs:   
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

PocketThunder

Quote from: hutch on June 20, 2007, 12:17:35 PM
hell, pull the engine and drag the old bus out into the woods and have yourself a summer home.  :2thumbs:   

Or a stabin cabin...... :whistling:

terrible one

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 20, 2007, 12:00:01 PM
Can you go tear it out where the motor home sits or do you have to take the whole thing?

They say all or nothing. I guess they don't have any more use for it than I do. Hopefully I can find a scrap place to take it.

terrible one

Haha I actually thought about that. . .  :scratchchin:

Needa68

Drive fast, make the light.

The Mitchell & Mitchell 1968 Dodge Restorations

http://www.68dodgerestorations.com

PocketThunder

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 20, 2007, 12:38:55 PM

:slap:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

terrible one

I think I'm going to go look at it and hear it run tomorrow. Should I have a problem with dropping it right into my Charger besides the oil pan? Anything that I need to look for? Also, would this be a big enough vehicle to have the wierd heads that the water pump attaches to for better cooling? I hope not. . .

BigBlockSam

you have to change the water pump housing. i beleive the lower hose is on the wrong side for a 2nd gen charger. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

terrible one

Thanks Rene.

I think that if he will let me, I'll just pull the engine and leave the motorhome with him. I guess a running 440/727 alone for $500 is still a good deal. Hopefully he won't mind me getting at the motorhome with my sawzall.

BigBlockSam

terrible one

Alright, went out there today. Firstly, it looks damn near impossible to get it out without cutting the front open. I can't even tell if it's possible to take the front apart nicely at all. I was looking and thinking about dropping it out from the bottom too. Is that a possibility? I'm kind of worried about getting it out. However, the guy fired it up and everything. It ran fine, started up without any hesitation, was smooth, no noise or chatter, etc. It seems the guy has changed his mind and only wants to give me the motor and transmission for $500. Anyways, now I'm contemplating just taking the whole motorhome for just a bit more (if I can find a yard that will come get it) so that I can have my way and cut the front open and make getting it out easier, as the guy doesn't want me to hack it up. Here are some pictures. I cleaned off the ID pad the best I could, and read 8 T 440 E, which I believe decodes to a '78 (8 ) 440 (440) with a cast crank (E), built at the Trenton plant (T). I don't really know RB Mopars, but I'm pretty sure this is a normal 440, and doesn't have the funky waterpump/head setup. Can anyone confirm? Here are some pictures:

Mean 318

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 20, 2007, 12:38:55 PM

:haha:

Charger_Fan

If I'm not mistaken, the only way to remove the engine from that type of motorhome without actually lifting the body off the frame, is to remove the windshields & go through there. I doubt you'd come up with a cherry picker that would fenangle that one.

One of our new members snagged a 440 from a motorhome too. Here's some pics on his site, scroll down to the bottom to see theyi plan of attack...

http://geocities.com/robertmitchell32000/CHARGER/TheMitchells68Charger.html?pg=13&cnt=5&t=a

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

good goin TO and good luck with that...   :2thumbs:

terrible one

I think that the best way is obviously to get the whole thing and take a sawsall to it. I found a couple yards around here that will take the motorhome, and I'm going to call one of them tomorrow and work out a deal to where they come pick it up and pay me less. It's weight as stated in the owner's manual is 13,000 pounds so I know it's worth some money in scrap. Hopefully I can get them to pick it up and just pay me less for it. Either way, the Charger should be powered as soon as I can get this thing in there and wired up and find a driveshaft.  :icon_smile_big:

terrible one

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on June 30, 2007, 03:59:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the only way to remove the engine from that type of motorhome without actually lifting the body off the frame, is to remove the windshields & go through there. I doubt you'd come up with a cherry picker that would fenangle that one.

One of our new members snagged a 440 from a motorhome too. Here's some pics on his site, scroll down to the bottom to see theyi plan of attack...

http://geocities.com/robertmitchell32000/CHARGER/TheMitchells68Charger.html?pg=13&cnt=5&t=a

That looks like the perfect way to do it. Exactly what I had in mind. Now where's that sawsall. . .

terrible one

Alright, the guy said that if I take the generator out I can drive the motorhome away for $500. Plan to pay for it Monday. Now I just have to find a yard that will take it and a way to get it there. I'm getting close!

Needa68

Here are some other things we have found to be accurate. We are dealing with the mentioned short tranny issue now. All good stuff to keep in mind when you pull that sucker.

Check it out

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=30299.new;topicseen#new

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:  it's interesting that TO in restoring his convert. Eldo. (where them pics T.O.?) used a GMC motor home to source parts for the front wheel drive 500 C.I.  so that will be two stabin cabins for T.O.  :smilielol:

your website rocks Needa,... wanna share alittle about it?..   :2thumbs:    :callme:

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:   hey needa68,..

your website ROCKS!!!!!    you guys need to check it out!  :yesnod:   :P

Needa68

Thanks Brock I appreciate the compliment. I'm not sure which one you saw. I have two:

Mitchell & Mitchell 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T Restoration:

www.geocities.com/robertmitchell32000

Mitchell & Mitchell 1968 Dodge Charger Restoration BLOG:

http://geocities.com/robertmitchell32000/CHARGER/TheMitchells68Charger.html

Thanks all for allowing the small hijack here.  :2thumbs:

terrible one

Well for everyone still tuned in. . .

I went and paid for it/got the title today. I have to drive it home 12 miles and I'm scared. It's 30+ feet long and 8 feet wide. The tires are kind of cracking. But I'm going to get it there! I think that the easiest thing for me to do is just switch the transmission out with a car one.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 02, 2007, 10:43:37 AM
:scratchchin:   hey needa68,..

your website ROCKS!!!!!    you guys need to check it out!  :yesnod:   :P

:iagree:   :yesnod:

Big Lebowski

The only scary thing I noticed were the huge rat turds, that rat must be a huge cat eater. Get it with the big trap, & of course peanut butter on a white cheddar cheez-it cracker, that nails 'em everytime. Also after the old 440 blows up, put a forged crank in it, and 10-1 pistons, 906 heads, big cam, carb, etc,. That makes for more fun in the Charger.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

SRT-440

I have a '77 motor home 440 and 727 in my dart that will be up and running soon. Def up the compression, cuz they don't have much..we added a steel crank, six pack rods and pistons, edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock 800cfm carb, headers. We put the 452 heads (I think that's what they were) back on and just had a 3 angle valve job until we can get the edelbrock heads on it. Have fun!  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

terrible one

I don't have the money to tear it all down when I get it, so all it's got up for it now are a manifold and carb, cam, and headers, plus another trans.

SeattleCharger

I like the way that guy on that link did it.  heh

When in doubt, sawzall it out.     :yesnod:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

terrible one

Well, I'm sure everyone's going to think I'm an idiot and indecisive, but here we go:

Today, I went to get the motorhome. I took the gas tank out of my lawnmower, filled it up,had it sitting in the front seat with a hose going from the bottom of it to the carb. This is when I paid more attention. First, it's leaking at the oil pan and valve covers, but that's expected and is just a gasket change. Still, the carb is missing the choke assembly so you have to have your hand over it to start it, etc. It had a little trouble starting up this morning, but I got it going. My fuel system worked well. Anyways, no odd noises or anything still, but the engine was vibrating around like it was missing, and it just wanted to stall trying to rev it up. Of course, this condition lessened after it warmed up a bit, but it was still prone to stalling/backfiring, and I was having to work to keep it alive.

With that said, I concluded that it would be impossible to drive it home because I don't have 5 arms. Surprisingly, the seller immediately offered to give me my money back on account of the fact that I was stuck, since the wrecker quoted $260 to tow it, half of what I paid for the thing, and the seller was kind of iffy about me driving it so close the the 4th with the cops out.

But here's where I'm indecisive. I got to thinking. I've found a 440, local to me, and running, for a reasonable price. When's that going to happen again? The seller didn't act like he was going to sell the thing for a while, as it's been sitting up for a long time and for sale for almost a year. Still, I've got someone who I think could help me trailor it. Of course, I'd like to make it worth their time.

Anyways, I'm sure I've exposed my ignorance as a teenager, but what would you guys do? Would you guys still spend the $500 on a late model 440/727 that needs some gaskets, a carb, plugs, wires, and all around a general tune-up? Also knowing that the transmission should probably be replaced with a car one? The way I see it, it would be $500 for the motorhome, $50 or so that I'd pay the guy helping me off with, a POSSIBLE return of maybe $100-200 from the scrapyard, and then the cost of a carb, wires, plugs, and gaskets. I'm poor, and I second-guess myself a lot. Go figure.

DodgeChargerNeeded

You should still buy it because pretty much any used motor you buy should at least have a good going over changing simple gaskets, rebuilding carb, giving it a tuneup because it has probably never been done or has been several years. I did the same thing with a late 70's 440. Cleaned it all up, changed the valley pan, put chrome valve covers and new gaskets, different carb, fresh tuneup, Painted it all up and put a nice air cleaner on it and it worked well and probably still is even though I don't have the car anymore.
Jeff

SeattleCharger

Quote from: DodgeChargerNeeded on July 04, 2007, 12:47:46 AM
You should still buy it because pretty much any used motor you buy should at least have a good going over changing simple gaskets, rebuilding carb, giving it a tuneup because it has probably never been done or has been several years. I did the same thing with a late 70's 440. Cleaned it all up, changed the valley pan, put chrome valve covers and new gaskets, different carb, fresh tuneup, Painted it all up and put a nice air cleaner on it and it worked well and probably still is even though I don't have the car anymore.

If you can sell the motor home for scrap for that much, the motor is worth 250 even as a core for a rebuild, so its worth the risk IMO, sounds like you can fix up the motor and it will work well,  like DodgeChargerNeeded said, good plan

Red Ram

I would pass on this one a keep my eyes peeled for a big block out of a beat up C-body or stationwagon.  Ripping the motor out and being left with the useless monster sounds like too much trouble to me.   
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

Chatt69chgr

I agree with Seattlechargerdog.  It's a good deal.  It will require some work on your part----something that a lot of folks seem to want to avoid these days.  How much is your time really worth at this point in your life?  Tearing the motor down and rebuilding it will be a good experience and give you a lot of appreciation for what you have.  Lets face it, finding a nice running 440 that you wouldn't have to do anything to is not going to happen.  These things were last installed in the 78 to 81 timeframe so that makes them 27 plus years old.  Be glad you found one locally at all.  I've seen folks on here that live in Norway and are attempting to buy one to rebuild.  Even if it doesn't work out, you won't be out all that much money after you sell the scrap.

Big Lebowski

Look on the bright side, it's only going to last six months anyway, so at least the block can be used to build a 500 in. stroker. Because lets face it, your cast cranked 440 with the 8-1 pistons, and the smog heads has LESS hp than a '67 383 2bbl. with 10-1 pistons & 906 heads. Look at it that way.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Big Lebowski on July 04, 2007, 08:22:59 PM
   Look on the bright side, it's only going to last six months anyway, so at least the block can be used to build a 500 in. stroker. Because lets face it, your cast cranked 440 with the 8-1 pistons, and the smog heads has LESS hp than a '67 383 2bbl. with 10-1 pistons & 906 heads. Look at it that way.

how much is that?

terrible one

I've rebuilt one other motor, and I agree, it's a great experience. And you guys are right, it won't be making much power, and it may not last.

But it's not about that. . .

It's about money. I don't have money to buy rebuild parts, to buy stroker parts, etc. I'm just trying to have my dream car and be able to drive it.

69-DodgeCharger

Quote from: terrible one on July 04, 2007, 11:58:00 PM
I've rebuilt one other motor, and I agree, it's a great experience. And you guys are right, it won't be making much power, and it may not last.

But it's not about that. . .

It's about money. I don't have money to buy rebuild parts, to buy stroker parts, etc. I'm just trying to have my dream car and be able to drive it.

Im in the same boat as you man. I have a part time job, its summer after my senior year and im just enjoying it with my friends not giving a damn about much of anything. but at the same time watching my wallet because of college next year. and today my friend was out in wisconsin and found a 68 charger sitting in a field and asked the guy for his number to give to me which i will be calling tomorrow and asking how much lol but anyway im torn between saving for college and then getting my dream car you know. but i think about it and tell myself to save for college then get a better paying job to get the dream car but i also think about the number of times these opportunities present themselves to us like that. 3 months ago i bought an old car, it was kind of a needed a different car/wanted a different car/fell in love with this old car/didnt tell my parents i bought it until i drove it home, but anyway when i was deciding on getting it or not i thought for about 3 hours of pros and cons of getting it. and i got sick of thinking about that, got mad at myself and said look you only live once right so just do whatever man, so i said fuck it and grabbed a quarter and flipped it, heads i buy tails i walk and it was heads, i called up the guy and said ill take it---without hesitating. i was kinda shocked but kinda excited but long story short, its worth it in the end man, take the deal get that car running and be happy driving around your dream car. but keep me updated on your car man i remember looking through those pics and seeing what an awesome pickup that was and im just stilll wanting to get one in my hands to work on. but just think about it and see if the benefits outweigh the consequences

PocketThunder

aone415

Buy it, rebuild it, get it on the road and never look back!

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

BigBlockSam

whats the rush. get the motor home . thats first . then take your time , save some money . go over the motor. do a compression test. see if the compression is good. if it is, you have a good starting point . you have to change the water pump housing to put it in your charger. you can get them off of ebay for about $20 . now that you have it off , might as well take a look at the timing chain and change your water pump. there about $35 for a high flow one . I'm sure that it will need a new chain and gears about $50 for a double roller. that will help your engine run much better and last longer . your gonna need a set of headers that fit your charger. clean it up paint everything and it will look good and run great. if you can swing it change the intake manifold. those smog intakes suck . again you can get a nice dual plane aluminum one off of ebay .you'll have a good running and looking motor in your car but first. get the motor home.  Rene