News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How hard is it to paint a motor?

Started by Charger1973, July 13, 2007, 09:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

Just curious.  Mine doesnt need rebuilt yet, it just looks like crap.  If I was to pull it (which I plan to do sometime), how hard would it be to get it clean enough to paint it?  What would be the best way? 

41husk

I painted my tranny in the challenger. took about 4 cans of foaming engine degreaser, around 9 bucks and a little elbow greece
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

fast360

If your painting it wile its still in the car, just clean it good and if your paranoid just get some engine primer.

Charger1973

I dont think I could do a very good job with it in the car, and the engine bay needs cleaned up a bit anyway....

Mean 318

I used about 5 cans of degrease and some metal brushes. then I used a few cans of aircraft remover with some screw drivers to get it real clean. it sucked and too a while but it is worth it!

Steve P.

My buddy Ray owns a used car lot. He uses WHITEWALL CLEANER in a pump sprayer. Pumps it up and sprays everything down very well. EVERYTHING.....  Let's it sit for about 10 minutes and the hits it with a soapy brew he mixes and puts through a power washer. The washer is old and is not very strong, but does the job well. His brew mostly consists of DAWN dish washing liquid,  Mr. Clean floor cleaner and lots of water. Then he lets the car sit till the next day so he doesn't have trouble with any electronics.

A few months ago he accidentally mixed in a can of beer.. Still worked well...  :lol:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Charger-Bodie

first let some engine degreaser soak , then pressure wash it off trying to get the bulk of the thick grease off, then spray it with whitewall tire cleaner , scrub it up really good with a stiff bristle brush, do that as many time as needed til its clean, after you get it clean put some thinner in a paint gun and rinse the engine starting at the top and pushing the thinner down to the pan , let it dry paint it preferably using acrilyc enamel (and no primer except maybe on the tin parts ie timing cover oil pan etc), spray the first coat real light and dry so it isnt as apt to fisheye then follow with medium wet caots until it looks good. the engine will stay looking great for years
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger1973

Great.  Im going to do that when my motors out.  What do you have to take off the motor before painting it?  How do you plug the holes, like where the intake was since I wont want mine painted? 

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Charger1973 on July 15, 2007, 12:18:57 PM
Great.  Im going to do that when my motors out.  What do you have to take off the motor before painting it?  How do you plug the holes, like where the intake was since I wont want mine painted? 

as far pluging the holes , you can get a plug kit for storing engines , they work very good and arent very spendy....they can be reused many times too!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Charger1973

I havent been able to find anything like that, I must not be looking in the right places. 

Silver R/T

id sanblast the block, surface prep, primer and paint/clear it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Charger1973 on July 15, 2007, 12:36:57 PM
I havent been able to find anything like that, I must not be looking in the right places. 

i got the set i have from hughes engines when i bought a crate gine from them. you cold try them www.hughesengines.com

Charger1973

I decided to paint it where it sits.  I degreased and power washed the crap out of it.  Took off all the accessories and once it was dry, painted away.  Its not perfect but it will get me by...   ;D

Hemidog

Wow, talk about difference! Nice Work !

mikesbbody

I scrolled down and saw the "dirty" engine pic first and thought "he painted it?"  :smilielol: then i saw the painted engine wow! what a difference it looks great!  :2thumbs:

Charger1973

Quote from: mikesbbody on July 20, 2007, 09:13:50 PM
I scrolled down and saw the "dirty" engine pic first and thought "he painted it?"  :smilielol: then i saw the painted engine wow! what a difference it looks great!  :2thumbs:

:smilielol:  Thanks guys.

71ChallengeHer

deputycrawford

That is one HUGE difference. WOW. That looks good.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Charger1973

Actually that picture is outdated already.   :P   I switched back to the stock valve covers, i'm hoping they will seal better than those cheap chrome ones. 

dukeboy_318

Awesome looking motor even if its chevy organge :smilielol:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

Charger1973

Quote from: dukeboy_318 on July 22, 2007, 01:09:30 PM

Isnt it?   ;D  Its the closest thing they had on the shelf.  Hey at least I know I can find touch up paint if I need it.   :smilielol:  I think anything that says Mopar on it is automatically a 2 day wait and 3 times the price. 

dukeboy_318

Quote from: Charger1973 on July 22, 2007, 01:13:04 PM
Quote from: dukeboy_318 on July 22, 2007, 01:09:30 PM

Isnt it? ;D Its the closest thing they had on the shelf. Hey at least I know I can find touch up paint if I need it. :smilielol: I think anything that says Mopar on it is automatically a 2 day wait and 3 times the price.

Yeah sometimes thats how its its.  I've found Orielly auto parts the best at having the most mopar items available, most in stock, some wierd stuff i've had to order but they've had what i've needed so far.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

Steve P.

Good job 73.. I give it a 9..  Of course the before pic. was a -9.. Hahaha  Good job.. :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida