News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Testing a coil?

Started by Harlow, June 19, 2007, 01:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

How do I test my ignition coil? Or do I have to take it somewhere?

- Scott

Lurker

there is a device that we test the coils on our stationary industrial engines i think its called  an oscilating flukescope or whatever, i don't know if it work for automotive coils because any coil i have ever had fail on me worked perfect until they were warmed up.
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

firefighter3931

Measure the resistance with a simple OHM meter....if you have more than a few ohms resistance the coil is bad and needs replaced.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

SUPERBEE123

ing. coils have a spec. for the primary side and a spec. for the secondary side,the problem with checking with ohm`s is that the coil may check ok cold but not hot. the best and cheapest test for a faulty coil is to a know good one off another vehicle( hate to say but fords and chevy will do the job) hook it up and see what happens.