News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

royal purple

Started by saltmine19, April 06, 2007, 05:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltmine19

just wondering if it is worth it to put royal purple oil  in my charger.. and if so how much to i buy for my 440.....
thanks
steve

Rolling_Thunder

a 440 with a stock oil pan will run 5qts.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

GTX

I run only Royal Purple in my performance cars. Cost is about $5.00 per quart and I have a total of a little under 10 quarts. I think that gear lube is about $25.00 or $30.00 the last time I checked....or was that for 2 ????

I ran across a little thing that Hot Rod mag wrote about R.P sometime ago, long after I was already using it so it didn't affect my decisions:

Hot Rod magazine Endorses Royal Purple® Lubricants

"It occurred to us that we've yet to run a test with Royal Purple® oil that didn't result in a power gain—it might be a marginal gain (as with our little Acura Integra), but it's a gain.

We've also torn down some of our dyno engines that have been seriously abused, but with Royal P in the pan, the bearings have looked new.

So consider this an approval of the company's line of synthetic lubricants with Synerlec®.

We also like the spray lubricant, and while we can't document any improvements thanks to synthetic wheel-bearing grease, it makes us feel like we're doing the right thing when we pack bearings with that stuff, too."

—David Freiburger, 'Hot Rod' magazine

machineman

Right now Royal Purple is the flavor of the month but any high end synthetic oil is worth using.
Chris Crossont
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
http://www.ahmperformance.com

daytonalo

MARKETING, MARKETING, MARKETING !! I guess if Hot rod mag says it best m it must be , what bullshit , show me data from independent lab test , not in house or paid off  magazine , come on guy's , stop being gullible !!!!

Shakey

Quote from: daytonalo on April 30, 2007, 02:08:04 AM
MARKETING, MARKETING, MARKETING !! I guess if Hot rod mag says it best m it must be , what bullshit , show me data from independent lab test , not in house or paid off  magazine , come on guy's , stop being gullible !!!!

What would you use instead of Royal Purple?

hemihead

That is the same reason people run a certain Carb,Cam,Ignition,muffler, or Air Filter. Marketing or because everyone else has it. Most people don't even know why they are using the parts they choose other than it is the part of the month.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

moparsons

Quote from: hemihead on May 01, 2007, 06:21:00 AM
That is the same reason people run a certain Carb,Cam,Ignition,muffler, or Air Filter. Marketing or because everyone else has it. Most people don't even know why they are using the parts they choose other than it is the part of the month.

This is another reason that this forum is so great.We can ask about members' personal experiences with a flavor of the month part or lube. ;)   

By the way.....anyone use Royal Purple :popcrn:

NorwayCharger

Quote from: moparsons on May 01, 2007, 06:52:37 AM
Quote from: hemihead on May 01, 2007, 06:21:00 AM

This is another reason that this forum is so great.We can ask about members' personal experiences with a flavor of the month part or lube. ;)   

By the way.....anyone use Royal Purple :popcrn:

I did use shell rotella with GM EOS for the break in of the engine
Changed the oil and filter (Q line,EOS)
500 miles later changed the oil and filter, this time Royal Purple XPR 20W50.
The engine is running aprox 10 degrees F cooler and the oil pressure is 5 psi higher on hot engine 900 rpm.
I can not say that i feel the extra horsepower gain ;), but the engine is sounding "smoother"
Almost 1000 miles, so far so good...   
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Silver R/T

Quote from: Shakey on May 01, 2007, 06:05:07 AM

What would you use instead of Royal Purple?

castrol GTX synthetic with good K&N filter or Napa Gold.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Challenger340

Just a thought here, Apologies for the Hijack, I'm sure everyone knows already, but anyways, just in case;

NEVER, EVER, break-in a NEW BUILD on SYNTHETIC  oils !

Use good old DINOSAUR Oil for break-in with a proper High Pressure additive to replace the metals in the newer Oils.

SYNTHETIC Oils are far too slippery for Break-in on a new engine, and won't allow good ring seating/sealing.

Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

NorwayCharger

Quote from: Challenger340 on July 15, 2007, 11:12:50 AM
Just a thought here, Apologies for the Hijack, I'm sure everyone knows already, but anyways, just in case;

NEVER, EVER, break-in a NEW BUILD on SYNTHETIC  oils !

Use good old DINOSAUR Oil for break-in with a proper High Pressure additive to replace the metals in the newer Oils.

SYNTHETIC Oils are far too slippery for Break-in on a new engine, and won't allow good ring seating/sealing.

Bob out.

I did not gamble on the synthetic for my breake in, but is it a myth????
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx
http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/amsoil_articles/myths-of-synthetic-oils/
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=7007980

I don´t know, it´s seems like if you ask 10 different people you got 10 differen answer :o
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Challenger340

IMHO, the finer the cylinder finish employed, the less likely for good ring seal on synthetic break-in.

I'd like to know what type of rings & cylinder wall finishes are being employed on those Factory stock "newer generation" engines ?

All I know, is that using JHU820 stones on final hone W/ Plateau brushes, with plasma moly 1/16" rings, DOES NOT like SYNTHETICS for break in !  We had problems.
That is the preferred Ringpack & finish for our older beloved Mopars when rebuilding with most Forged Pistons.

I imagine on stock stuff, using cast rings and a 200 grit stock hone job, things may be fine, but really, why risk it ?
Use DINOSAUER for a short period, then switch over if you want. Not worth the risk.

Just my opinion. Again, sorry for the hijack.
Bob out.

Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

:iagree: 100%

I've yet to meet a machinist that recommends synthetic lube on a fresh engine fireup.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Yeahmate