News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why does an engine knock just before is shuts down?

Started by RoscoePColtrain, June 13, 2007, 09:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoscoePColtrain

Why does an engine make knocking sounds just before is shuts down?  What is that sound?  Is it harmful to the engine?
The gas tank is not empty, does it have to do with the carburator?

kab69440

Does it knock and shut down, all by itself?  Sounds to me like it's overheating, and yes that is extremely harmful to an engine.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

RoscoePColtrain

The car makes a knocking sound then shuts down, it doesn't apprear to be overheating though.

John_Kunkel

The knocking is called "after running" or "dieseling", it is running for a second or two after the ignition is shut off.

It can be caused by poor gas, improper timing or most likely too high idle speed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

deputycrawford

I agree with John. I believe its dieseling. Check Idle speed and timing. If that doesn't work then do a static compression check.  Has teh car been rebuilt lately? When did this start?
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

max

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 13, 2007, 03:57:18 PM

The knocking is called "after running" or "dieseling", it is running for a second or two after the ignition is shut off.

It can be caused by poor gas, improper timing or most likely too high idle speed.

i have seen a vacuum leak do it as well

RoscoePColtrain