News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quiet 440

Started by RoscoePColtrain, June 19, 2007, 02:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoscoePColtrain

How you doing guys,

What muffler configuration (make/model?) would I require to nullify most of the sound out of a 440?. 
I love the low rumble at idle, but want a semi quiet car without affecting overall performance too much.
Is this possible and how?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: RoscoePColtrain on June 19, 2007, 02:26:33 PM
How you doing guys,

What muffler configuration (make/model?) would I require to nullify most of the sound out of a 440?. 
I love the low rumble at idle, but want a semi quiet car without affecting overall performance too much.
Is this possible and how?

my charger has tti 1 7/8 header and tti 3" x pipe with dynomax super turbos and 3" t pipes and factory style tips and im very happy with the sound . i dont even need the radio crancked to hear it!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Arkgl01

I have flow masters and they sound good but I have electric cut outs so when I want stright headers I can open them up! So far I love it!
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

OttawaCharger

You could look into the Flowmaster 77's.  They're supposed to be pretty quiet.  Or if you want to make your current system quieter,  add a resonator. Resonators are like little mufflers, and are usually the "straight through" type. They are added at the end of the exhaust system to take care of any noise that has made it through the muffler.    :drive:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

blue69

I have Borla mufflers on my 440 charger and it is moderately quiet and still sounds good. You can easily carry on a conversation without raising your voice going 65 mph with 3.91 gears and stock height tires. At idle they are not much louder than stock which won't bother your neighbors. They are a straight through design which offers good performance. The big thing that suprised me was that my gas mileage actually went up 2mpg after installing them. I used their short mufflers recommended for small blocks. They make a long case muffler for big blocks if you want it quieter.

firefighter3931

Dynomax super turbos are what you're looking for. Quiet at idle with a mild rumble and nice sounding wide open.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RoscoePColtrain

Is the Dynomax super turbo a type of muffler?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: RoscoePColtrain on June 20, 2007, 11:26:46 AM
Is the Dynomax super turbo a type of muffler?

dynomax is a brand of muffler and super turbos are one of there models of muff
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

I run the stock HP manifolds through a 2.5" H-Pipe system from Accurate LTD.  I run his new "high flow" Hemi mufflers.   No drone @ cruise RPM's with a great all around big block sound

www.accurateltd.com
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

dkn1997

I run manifolds with 2.5" pipes and crossover.  full system w/talpipes and 2 chamber flowmasters.  I put a set of summitt glass packs near the tailpipes and it quieted it down pretty well.  not stock though....still decently loud
RECHRGED