News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Excessive heat from Inside Vents - 73 charger

Started by dvnen, June 18, 2007, 09:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvnen

I just started driving my car after a complete restoration was done and notice that when I am driving I get exessive heat blowing through the vents in the car - at idle it is very little but when travelling at 30-50 mph it is pretty hot.  The car was originally an A/C car, but those components have since been been removed.  Also, my heater/blower motor is not hooked up, although the control panel is in place.  Any suggestions on what it might be or where I should start troubleshooting?  Thanks for the help...

41husk

I would bet your heater control vent cabels are open and not hooked up so you are constantly running your heat.  Helps keep your engine cool but doesn't do much for the passengers.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Charger1973

Quote from: 41husk on June 18, 2007, 11:03:39 AM
I would bet your heater control vent cabels are open and not hooked up so you are constantly running your heat.  Helps keep your engine cool but doesn't do much for the passengers.

From what you described,  agree with Husk.  Also check the valve itself, they like to freeze up and then they wont ever close even if they are hooked up.

dvnen

thanks for the replies...I believe the vents open and close by vacum and not by cable as I don't recall installing any cables when I put it back together. Also, where would I find the valve that you are referring to - is it easily accessible?

BMOTOXSTAR

Trust me, there is a cable there. The control you can move by hand, it should be on the driver's side fender, underneath the hood, of course. :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Charger1973

Quote from: dvnen on June 18, 2007, 01:50:50 PM
thanks for the replies...I believe the vents open and close by vacum and not by cable as I don't recall installing any cables when I put it back together. Also, where would I find the valve that you are referring to - is it easily accessible?

In the engine compartment on the passenger side inner fender.  The heater hoses should run through it, i have my heater core bypassed right now though because it leaks.   :icon_smile_blackeye:

dvnen

Trust me, there is a cable there. The control you can move by hand, it should be on the driver's side fender, underneath the hood, of course

======
I beleive you...pardon the stupid questions, but, the cable attaches to the back of the control panel located to the left of the steering wheel and then to a vent door?

Charger1973

It runs from the control panel, through the firewall, and attaches to the valve in the engne compartment. 

dvnen

Quote from: Charger1973 on June 18, 2007, 02:21:16 PM
It runs from the control panel, through the firewall, and attaches to the valve in the engne compartment.

I checked the car when I got home and there is part of a cable that is cut off behind the control panel and when I checked the blower motor inside the engine compartment there does not appear to be any place where that attaches to.  I took a couple of pictures and will post when I get back.  Also, assuming I cannot find the correct cable in the "left over parts box", is there anything I can do as a short tem fix?  Also, any chance of getting a close up picture of the blower box.  Finally, does it matter if the car was an ac car as to where the cable attaches to?

Thanks

Charger1973

It doesnt actually go to the blower motor its just not a very clear picture...  There is a valve that bolts to the passenger side inner fender.  With 2 tubes.  The heater hoses pass through this valve and the cable runs from the valve to the control panel.  When you switch it at the control panel it opens or closes the valve.  If the valve isnt there maybe you need to get one for it?  If you cant, and need a temprary fix, just bypass the heater core altogether. 

dvnen

Quote from: Charger1973 on June 18, 2007, 10:04:54 PM
It doesnt actually go to the blower motor its just not a very clear picture... There is a valve that bolts to the passenger side inner fender. With 2 tubes. The heater hoses pass through this valve and the cable runs from the valve to the control panel. When you switch it at the control panel it opens or closes the valve. If the valve isnt there maybe you need to get one for it? If you cant, and need a temprary fix, just bypass the heater core altogether.

Thanks...that is what I am missing...funny though I don't recall removing it from the engine compartment, but that was many, many months ago.  Do you have the correct name for it and I can start searching for one.  Also, any chance of getting a close up picture of it if it is not too much trouble?  Finally, I am assuming the valve was present regardless if it was an a/c car or not.  Thanks for the help....

Nacho-RT74

still have doubts about this problem...

how does the air enter if you say you don't have blower hooked up ?

Wire to heater valve just controls the hot water flow from engine to heater core, but nothing to do with AIR itself... Air flow is controled by vacuum hoses that open and close the door actuators inside the A/C-heater  fiberglass box. This vacuum system comes from engine intake manifold vacuum tee and use the same heater valve wire grommet to enter on cab and arrive up to vacuum control. Down the dash ( before A/C control ) does have a white plastic valve that allows the vacuum only flow in one direction. I have known about some cars with vacuum reservoir somewhere. My car doesn't have it so only works with engine running.

still after all this... with blower unhooked, then you must have not air flow entering to passenger cab through vents
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger74

Nacho you are correct.   I had this very same problem with mine.  I did have all my stuff still in the car.  I had the exact same issue.  I found that if I hooked the vacuum line back up and closed the door, I didn't have any hot air running through.  Of course bypassing the heating core will eliminate the hot part, but does not fix the air.

Nacho-RT74

Heater-A/C box takes the air from cowl area on passenger side. This air entry has a door and actuator controlled by vacuum lines  that close or opens the exterior air entry. I mean when you put AC, this door is open. When you put Max AC the air enters from inside the cab closing the exterior outlet. This same door opens the interior opening located toward to floorboard/firewall. On heater, defrost or vent function, the exterior air entry keeps opened.

Is the same door that close/opens this two air inlets ( exterior or interior ).

MAYBE and I'm not sure about, when you turn off the A/C, vacuum lines makes close the exterior air inlet. If so, then you are probably missing vacuum somewhere on actuators/flow system.

But still on that way with exterior air inlet opened ( if that's teh case ) I can't imagine that the exterior flowing air is able to enter on cowl area WITHOUT the blower turned on... the exterior air inlet is very hidden from exterior natural air flow. This inlet is not like a rammed hood
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Charger1973

:iagree:  I hadnt thought of that but thats a good theory too. 

Anyway here is the heater control valve.  I dont know if all cars had them or not to be honest.   :shruggy:

konigcharger

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

dvnen

I appreciate the comments but you now have me really confused!!  Just to clarify, the car was an a/c car but everything except the blower motor and control panel are no longer used.  Natcho is correct, the blower motor is not hooked up.  I still don't understand where the air is coming in from when driving.  Nonetheless, right now I don't need to understand as much as I need a solution.  Charger 74 - can you confirm that I need the valve that goes on the inside of the passenger fender and vent cable.  Also, Natcho if I have a aftermarket manifold (Edelbrock) where would I find the vacum hook up. Finally is there a short term fix so that I can drive the car and not get toasted?  Thanks for the help 

Charger1973

short term fix, bypass the heater core.   :2thumbs:

bordin34

On my 74 A/C Car that control thing is rusted open and wont budge so my heater core is always running. I open windows.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: dvnen on June 19, 2007, 09:18:38 PM
Natcho if I have a aftermarket manifold (Edelbrock) where would I find the vacum hook up.

doesn't have the hole to fit the brake booster nipple ? if so, then you just need a nipple with one extra small tee at a side to this hose.

about the problem itself. Bypass the heater core will be the solution to save from hot air for a while we locate the real problem. Then you will get fresh air instead

Nacho-RT74

these will look as a stupid questions, but who knows...

do you have blower MOUNTED ? it is good SEALED ? do you have the blower cooling hose hooked ? do you have the water drain hose on place ?

dvnen

do you have blower MOUNTED ? it is good SEALED ? do you have the blower cooling hose hooked ? do you have the water drain hose on place ?

the blower motor is mounted and sealed, and the blower cooling hose is the connected and teh water drain hose is in place.  I took some pictures today and will post what it looks like later tonight/tomorrow.  thanks for the help..