News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gastank pad?

Started by Lurker, June 16, 2007, 10:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurker

what is the gastank pad made of that sits ontop of the tank?, i dropped mine out last time i was home and threw it in the pile of mouse contaminated carpets/headliner etc and got them as far away from me as possible and gave them a viking funeral.
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

Charger-Bodie

the tank pad is made from a very similer material to heavy grade roofing felt (tar paper).
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Lurker

i wonder what i could make a new one out of? i have hundreds of yards of liner material for making containments for industrial storage tanks (oilfeild) that is around 3/8ths thick that would prolly work. i would imagine it was impregnated with the tar like stuff in 68 because synthetics were not cost effective and this stuff i have lasts forever and would stop bullits.
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.

Charger-Bodie

the original stuff wasnt near 3/8s thick more like  1/8.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Lurker

this stuff is 3/8 loose it will compact to 1/8th easy. what was the original purpose of this pad? i am sure there was a team of over paid engineers who decided it had to have it, was it water proofing or strictly to prevent wear or vibration. i know this stuff won't work for water proofin as fresh water runs right through it and it only blocks oils etc.

Charger-Bodie

im not that over paid engineer but id say vibration ratlles and squeeks

Lurker

if thats the case i think i should be safe with this stuff, so far the oilfeild has donated the gastank pad and 3/8s stainless steel tubing and fittings for fuel line and i am trying to convince the office we need new autometer guages for all our stationary genset/compressor engines lol, they keep asking why i don't charge much overtime  :rofl:

41husk

I was told it was to insulate from possible spark due to any metal to metal contact? I don't know how true that is, but it sounded reasonable.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Lurker

Quote from: 41husk on June 17, 2007, 11:41:59 AM
I was told it was to insulate from possible spark due to any metal to metal contact? I don't know how true that is, but it sounded reasonable.

that makes sense

bull

Or you can buy one from Year One.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Ive heard that you shouldnt use the cheaper foam type repro pads due to them retaining water & rotting out your trunk floor from the bottom up....
They were made of a tar type material for a reason :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

You can go to a roofing supplier and get a roll of either 15# or 30# roofing felt.  The heavier weight stuff should be twice as thick so you can look at both and choose which is right for you.  I would bet this is the exact thing that Chrysler used in the first place.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on June 17, 2007, 07:00:45 PM
You can go to a roofing supplier and get a roll of either 15# or 30# roofing felt.  The heavier weight stuff should be twice as thick so you can look at both and choose which is right for you.  I would bet this is the exact thing that Chrysler used in the first place.

the 30 pretty much is the same but its nice to save the original for a pattern.