News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help wont start

Started by chargerman68, June 16, 2007, 01:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerman68

switched the fuel line...still no spark....if sounds like the engine is dieing what should the batt be at for break in....at 12v now,should be fine right?
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

chargerman68

here is what it sounds like now...

70charger_boy

It takes about 11.2-11.6 volts to turn over a car.  Usually, the battery can die quick from faulty starts.  Try jumping it to see what happens

chargerman68

just tried it and it still sounds like the video.... really getting :brickwall: :brickwall: followed by  :shruggy: :shruggy:

chargerman68

checked the number 1 plug there is no fuel or oil on it is that normal......

70charger_boy

is the fuel inlet hooked up on the passenger side of carb?

chargerman68

General_01

If you are using a remote start, try this. loosen the distributor clamp so you can turn the dist. Not real loose, just loose enough to turn the distributor. Turn the engine over. While it is turning over, turn the distributor. Turn it one way, then the other. See if the engine turns over easier as you go and also see if it fires. Your timing may not be correct.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

chargerman68

wait 1 sec i will check..

chargerman68

nope it will barely turn over now.

mikepmcs

exactly, i still say pull the number 1 plug.bump it til you feel compression and pull the diz cap and make sure you are on number 1 and the rotor button lines up with it.  Then ,if that is good, pull the fuel line off the carb and crank it to see if you are getting fuel at all.  throw a capful of fuel in the carb and see if it fires.  there is too much inconsistency going on with this thread.  back off and start brand new with the basic stuff Sailor.  Go to bed and come back tomorrow with a fresh brain.
fuel...spark...firing order..etc....  this is something simple darn it.
And trickle charge the battery overnight. Well... shut it off when you retire cause you don't want to chance thermal runaway.

v/r
Mike(aka "The Chief")
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

General_01

This is when it is nice to have a battery charger with jump start capability. I guess I would just hook the battery up to the battery charger tonight to make sure it is fully charged or if you have another vehicle with a big enough battery that you know is fully charged, steal it for a little bit to see if you can turn the engine over.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Lurker

red=fuel inlet
blue=timed vacuam advance port

pop the distributor cap off and see if the rotor is turning when its cranking, if you have gas and air its gotta be spark. if there is power to the coil it and the rotor is turning it could possibly be distributer wiring, i went through this once with a 460 i built and it turned out to be the tiny little rollpin holding the distributer gear on had sheared
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

chargerman68

engine is very weak now..

have the dist in order there is a hugh smell of gas in the garage.

lurker:
the big line in between the smaller fitting is where i hooked up the pvc port to the valve cover.
left is to the dist middle to pvc on valve cover right is to vacuum cansiter

chargerman68

even changed the resister and blk box...still nothing

also tried a jumper wire from pos on coil striaght to batt...nothing

mikepmcs

so the pos to the batt... did the engine crank(your videos don't load for me)
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Lurker

front right small fitting is your timed vac for dist i am pretty sure but either way it should start. i would put a charger on the batt and go drink beer and and attack it with a full battery and slight hangover tomorrow. i have installed many factory style ignitions and have never touch any aftermarket distributers so i am stumped
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.

chargerman68

mike:

cranks about 3 time and nothing and then some more power then nothing..

lurker:
been drinking all afternoon fixed many navy engines like that after hours....

i have never had so much trouble with an engine...

mikepmcs

I agree with Lurker.  Crack a sud..go in and spend some time with the Mrs, charge the battery, etc....  The answer will come to you in your sleep Squid!

v/r
Mike

chargerman68

been saying that all week and still nothing....

mikepmcs

I hear you about the after hours deal.LOL

This is personal though and no flight needs to be made here.

The "squid" was endearment, don't take offense brother.

you need to make sure you have a good power source first though so you might want to bag it for the night and start fresh after you pour the juice to it for a while.

v/r
Mike

Lurker

i am thinking if there is power to the coil and everything is turning maybe its a bunk distributer, its hard to diagnose on a forum but just think how good you will feel when it is running after going through this. if you have or know someone with a diff distributer maybe try swapping it and try. but either way if the battery is dead or really weak it may not start even if everything is 100%

chargerman68

check holding for the night and will start again tomorrow...thanks for the help will start fresh in the am hope someone is on just in case..

mikepmcs

180 out?? do the number one thing first for starters.  Compression stroke...don't get fooled. stick your finger in the hole. Have the mrs bump it until it blows your finger out of the hole. then, put a socket/ratchet on the crank bolt and dial it to zero on the timing tab.  pull the cap and make sure that rotor button is on the number one cylinder and not in Australia.  Check your firing order and make sure the wires are on there correctly too.  I know I know but do it again anyway.

I'll be on  cause i'm 3 hours to the plus on the east side.  What time (your time) you gonna start?

v/r
Mike

chargerman68