News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Speaker area -- what to do?

Started by miamivice, June 15, 2007, 10:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miamivice

Well, I have been tearing my car apart to send the body out. 

Look what I found when i removed that cardboard panel behind the rear seats...a hack job :icon_smile_angry::

a factory marking?:

Anyways, not too happy.  Anyone have pics of what the area is supposed to look like?  I am not exactly sure what I am doing about the audio in the car, there was absolutely no speakers back there.   I would like to at least stick a factory radio in the dash, and it is my understanding I need to get 8ohm speakers (and all the car audio speakers out there are now 4ohm).  Should I just have the shop weld a flat piece of sheet metal in there?

-------
and another random question, does anyone know off the top of their heads what size bolt this is (from the rear seat belts)
  for some reason I dont have a socket that fits that so I need to know what size it is to go out and pick one up tomorrow.

THANKS!

JimShine

The shelf for the speakers looks pretty much like yours except the two speaker holes are cleanly stamped. You can still see some of the original stamping on the passenger side closest to the sail panel. What I would do is clean it all up the best you could and let the package tray hide the mess. If you had to change that panel, it would be tough and you would need to get one off a donor car.

8WHEELER

Well, we know that car original was blue good color. I would not worry to much about
the holes, here is what the stock hole looks like.......... and if you are putting a stock
radio back in it, the only cars that came with a rear speaker in 69, were the cars with
the speaker package, and it is very hard to find that wiring and the rear speaker fader

Dan.
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

daytonalo

AT LEAST THE BASIC TOOLS SHOULD BE ON HAND BEFORE A RESTO CAN TAKE PLACE ! HAVE YOU EVER REMOVED A SPARK PLUG ? IF YOU HAVE , THAT IS THE SIZE SOCKET YOU NEED [13/16]

41husk

Did you have the rear window defrost option? my 73 does and only came with one package tray speaker.  In the spot were yours is tore up, mine has the defrost.  Many cars had the defrost taken out and holes cut in to acomadate after market speakers.  Many were cut better than that!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

FJMG

Do nothing, my car has the similar 'modification', only trouble is that I was the high school kid that performed the 'surgury', and I keep seeing the head butting brick wall emoticon every time I look at the package tray. A good friend reminded me that the paint in that area never saw the light of day and cleans up really well and is one of the easiest places to access original color in the future.

hemi-hampton

I'd replace it my self with one from a Donor car. I have a extra from a donor car but it's for for other b-body's not a Charger so probably would not work unless modified.  :Twocents: LEON.

chargercraig