News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why oh why put safety at risk?

Started by ChargerRT440, June 18, 2007, 01:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerRT440

Well it's summer time in saskatchewan and all the people come out with what they finished over the winter. Well I'm really confused with the recent trend I'm seeing. Maybe it's not a trend but it's odd. Why are people spending thousands on nice paintjobs an motors and putting their stock drum brakes on the car? I've seen way to many awesomely done cars that have drums front and rear. I don't know why they would do such a thing. I understand with something like my dad's 46 fargo it's a classic truck that probably won't get above the speedlimit so it should be fine with the drums besides the fact who makes discs for a 46 fargo(canadian dodge pickup)

Charger1973

Some people dont care about anything but looks.  Most of the "car guys" I know will paint a car, put on a hood scoop, modify the motor...  Anything that will look cool or make their car go faster.  Some people just see those kind of things as a waste of money that could be used other places.  Its stupid, I know...  but I see it so often that I dont even notice anymore, and when I do I just shake my head.   :rotz:

One thing about those old trucks, I dont know what they make for Dodge (probably nothing like usual) but the guys with 50ish Chevy trucks can buy a set of body mounts and actually swap their entire body over to an S10 chassis.  Thats a super cheap and easy way to upgrade your entire suspension and braking system on an old truck.   :Twocents:

ChargerRT440

yeah. I've heard of those kits. nothing like straining a stock braking system with a body hevier then the original.lol But for my dad's 46 it's going completely stock, even down to hopefully the original repair garage decal that was on it.

Mike DC

I think the importance of image & appearances has totally run amok at this point.  This started out as a mechanical hobby but it's become such an image thing.
So many cars have $7000 paint/body jobs but they still drive around with taillights shorted out, oil pans dripping, and E-brake cables that have been AWOL since an axle swap in 1986.

Man, just gimme a car with orange-peeled single-stage enamel that actually passes state inspection.

daytonalo

If you have drum brakes , you fail inspection ?

Charger-Bodie

properly functioning drum brakes can stop a car just fine ! now if you are talking about someone who has bad brakes of any kind cruzin around thats a differant story.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mike DC

Drums work fine, at least when they're not overheated. 
But realistically we all know that it's dumb to have a $5000 motor, a $1200 tranny, a $1500 rear axle, a $2000 suspension, and then leave manual 10" drums on all four wheels.

Even if most of us can probably drive pretty well there are so many other morons out there who can't. 
It seems like the better that modern cars turn/brake, the less-competently people drive them.

Charger-Bodie

not to mention that id trade my disc front brakes for a nice set of 11x3 drums in a heartbeat!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemihead

Nothing wrong with correctly set up 11x3 's. They will do the job. If they don't, you don't know how to set them up,you have system problem , or maybe you need to slow down.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

rt green

Quote from: 1hot68 on June 18, 2007, 12:11:22 PM
not to mention that id trade my disc front brakes for a nice set of 11x3 drums in a heartbeat!!
[/qui
i got a 68 gtx thats gonna lose it's big front drum brakes for a disc set up. maybe we should talk pm me
third string oil changer