News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedometer Pinion...Took me a while to get it!

Started by dkn1997, June 17, 2007, 07:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

Never really truly understood why you would clock the pinion housing based on the different speedo gear teeth count.  Now that I took mine apart, it's clear that at some point, in order to increase the number of teeth that the entire diameter of the gear has to change.  Since the gear in the tranny is fixed, then the height of the speedo pinion must change and this is achieved eccentrically sort of like how upper control arm adjustments are made.

I had a a non working speedo after putting in a 727 that a local shop rebuilt.  turns out that you should not let a chevy guy put your mopar tranny together.  and also turns out that 904 and 727 adapters/gears interchange.  Now my speedo works, although it's way off.  I have a 32 tooth gear running a 26.5" tire with 3.91 gear.  accroding to the book, I need a 40 tooth.  anyone know of a cheap place to get this part? year one has them, but 30 bucks with shipping, come on!!  does the dealer still have them?

here is a 27 tooth (white) vs a 32 tooth (black) gear, very big difference.
RECHRGED

Charger-Bodie

ive gotten them right from chrysler but youll need to provide them with the info to get you the right one.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dkn1997

I have the part number and color of the gear, so that should do me....
RECHRGED

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Big Lebowski

Mine needs a 41 tooth for a 4.10 Dana Charger
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Big Lebowski on June 17, 2007, 08:04:50 PM

so whats that got to do with anything?

Big Lebowski

Quote from: 1hot68 on June 17, 2007, 08:06:22 PM
Quote from: Big Lebowski on June 17, 2007, 08:04:50 PM

so whats that got to do with anything?

I have the wrong one in my car, for a 3.23
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Chryco Psycho

Mpar still has them but I doubt it will be much cheaper , the last one I bought was $33

1972Rallye

Just an FYI... any Year One part number that starts with "FD" is a part they get from Chrysler.  I believe the "FD" means "From Dealer"... :icon_smile_big:

dkn1997

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 18, 2007, 02:12:09 AM
Mpar still has them but I doubt it will be much cheaper , the last one I bought was $33

I might as well order it from year one then.  plus I can get some other goodies too....or are they going to ass bang me on every individual item?
RECHRGED

Ghoste

As long as they can package them all together you'll only have to drop your pants once.

Chatt69chgr

I just ordered the speedometer gear (pinion, trans) from Chrysler.  Cost was $15.62.

dkn1997

I ordered it from year one along with carpet and an interior screw kit. 
RECHRGED