News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not Firing #5 318

Started by bordin34, June 14, 2007, 04:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

The #5 cylinder on my 318 isnt firing, it just pumps air out of the exhaust, it is making a spark, the wires are good, the spark plug is good, and there isn't any play in the rocker arms. Any ideas?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

chargerbr549

First of all I would do a compression check on that cylinder and if it checks good make sure wires 5 and 7 are not touching each other since they fire right after each other, you could be getting an inductive crossfire  between the wires. If that is ok pull the valve cover  and check to make sure the rockers are moving and not having a flat cam, possibility of a broken or weak valve spring or burned valves which of course should show up on the compression test, also spray around for possibly a vacuum leak somewhere, hope this helps.

Kevin

bordin34

I pushed on the valve springs and they seemed fine. The rocker toward the rear of the engine looked like it was opening a valve. I need to buy a compression gauge.

Mahwah,NJ

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bordin34

Its pumping air out of the exhuast so I think it has some compression. Maybe it just hates me.

Mahwah,NJ

Challenger340

Burnt exhaust valve on #5 cylinder ?

Compression test as stated.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

SUPERBEE123

compresssion test if you have a tester if not and you have compressed air get both valve on #5 up and closed thight and pump compressed air into the sprak plug holes if loys of air comes out the exhauxt pipe burnt exhaust valve if lots of air comes out the carb. intake valve problem. if no air out of either vaccum leaks can cause a dead cylinder