News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody ever run a mechanical secondary six pack.

Started by supserdave, June 14, 2007, 03:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supserdave

Any advantages over a vacum unit? Easier to tune or worse? How about streetability?

Lurker

1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

supserdave

70sixpkrt

I ran a set of mechanical carbs for 5 years. Very hard to tune and bad gas mileage. I ended up putting the vacuum carbs back on. Easier to tune esp. with the Promax metering plate in the center carb. and the jettable plates in the outboards.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

no318

I have them and like them fine.  Probably not as many tuners out there for them.  FYI the fuel feed is on the opposite side of the engine.  Vapor lock is a problem unless precautions are taken.  Just my experience.

supserdave

What precautions did you take? Insulate the fuel line?
Thanks
Dave

no318

I had a hard time routing the lines across the engine (hoses, and t-stat, and etc.), so I went with an electric pump and ran the fuel line across the firewall and feed into the carbs. from the rear.  If you do this, DON'T buy a cheap elec. pump.  I personally have not had great sucess insulating fuel lines with wrap.

70charger_boy

Why run a mechanical??  Save that crap for cheby's and go with vacuum :Twocents:

Ghoste

Wasn't Demon or somebody making a replacement Six Pack setup for us that had the fuel inlets on the proper side and mechanical linkage?

Chryco Psycho

I like the mechanical 6 pack , definatly more responsive & tunable , I have 2 customers running them

supserdave

Might go that route, but we got it cheap so its worth trying atleast.

pandamarie

To stop the vapor lock problem I use the mopar vapor return fuel filter since my car was already set up for it, they made them for the six pack cars, real expensive through year one, I did find something that works just as good through fram, same filter(a little smaller) but 3/8 inlet and outlet and 1/4 return line, cant tell you the part# as mine is wrapped in insulating tape but it was used on 62-63 Pontiac SD421 engines. they also make one with 5/16 and 1/4.

supserdave

Pandamarie, anyway you could send me some pics of your setup?

Thanks
Dave
supserdave@hotmail.com