News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does rear suspsension ever compress against bump stops?

Started by Blakcharger440, June 13, 2007, 06:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

How often or does the rear suspension ever compress against the frame bump stops over big bumps you may find while driving around in a Mopar 68-70 Body or any other?

Ghoste

Hopefully not very often.  You have to hit something pretty hard to bottom out the rear suspension.

Shakey

Question:

Do all cars have the frame rail mounted bump stops or just the cars with the Dana 60?

Ghoste

Hemidog

Shakey

Quote from: Hemidog on June 13, 2007, 08:38:13 AM
my 8.75 has them

Where did you buy them?

I ask because I never put them on my list of things to buy because looking at the YO catlouge it shows them for:

66-70 B-body models with Dana 60

YO # FR934AP $76.00 USD pr

I never figured I needed them.

Ghoste

The only suggestion I can offer at the moment is see if the dealer can get 2834 932 or 933.  Other than the 440 or 426 one, those are the only other two that the parts list shows for 69.  The one pictured looks different than the ones in my car.  They look more like the one shown in the all parts drawing that Year One has.  Somebody must repop them though?

Mike DC

Whether or not you actually hit them very often . . . umm . . . Probably depends on your driving style.  And your rear leaf-spring height.  And the compression-damping of your rear shocks.  And maybe your proximity to Hazzard County.

But it would probably be pretty bad for the car's rear subframe rails to hit metal-to-metal even occasionally.  It's basically like doing a low-speed (but VERY HEAVY) sldegehammer hit to the subframe rail each time.  Think of how it feels when you accidentally bring a car to a stop by whacking the undercarriage into a curb at only a couple of miles per hour.

There's gotta be plenty of junk B-body station wagons to pull a used set though. 
It's not like they rust, and even 40-year-old rubber is a lot better than nothing at all.  Most of the junkyard ones from anywhere that's not too arid & dry would probably work fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note, you'd be shocked how often you might be hitting the FRONT bumpstops during normal driving.  You can start hitting them when the car's front end is only a little bit lowered.  And you don't actually feel any "bottoming" on those front ones until the point in the middle is mashed almost flat.

toqwik

My 318 68 has em.  I beat this car to death before I tore it apart, and never touched them. 

Charger-Bodie

Mega parts has them on hand ive gotton a few sets from them! :eek2: i love that smiley!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

HITMAN 149

my 68' 440 R/T has them...
i got new one's with my suspension kit from  performance suspensions.
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Shakey

Charger1973

My 73 has them, I think they were a standard feature?  Maybe it was by 73?   Anyway if you think a 73s would work send me a PM and ill see if I can hook you up. 

Mike DC

Guys, rubber bumpstops are 100% standard on any old Mopar, or any old CAR for that matter.  There's nothing oddball about it.
It's just a small tirangular-shaped block of rubber for the axle to hit instead of hitting the subframe rail.

Blakcharger440

The rear ones on my 70 Charger RT are not triangular but are kinda half oval shaped.

Charger1973

Charger-Bodie

there are 2 differant types one has alot meatier rubber than the other
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Chatt69chgr

Do these frame mounted rear axle bumpers go bad and need to be replaced as a matter of course?  If yes, does anyone have a part number and source besides Year One.  Like Dorman or Rare Parts, Inc, etc.  I took a quick look and found the ones for the upper and lower front suspension arms but not these.

Ghoste

Depends on the car.  They don't take any real load or pounding (or rarely anyway) so they could be dry rotted if the car has been in the right conditions to promote that.  Otherwise...