News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68/69 383 motor question

Started by 71butterbee, June 14, 2007, 10:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71butterbee

I have a motor that was cast in 8/30/68. The motor is stamped D383 and I know D stands for a 68 motor and E stands for 69. So my question is did the early 69 cars get motors stamped D. Seems like with a casting date of 8/30 this motor would have been put in an early build 69 car...am i right?

kab69440

Yeah, you're right. And if that block had been cast exactly two years later, I'd pay extremely well to have it.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

hemigeno

If the casting date was read correctly, then something isn't right with the assembly stamping.  That block would have been cast about 6 weeks after production of '68s stopped and about 4 weeks after production of the '69s started.  It could have been mis-stamped as a D-series (68) rather than an E-series (69) but that would be highly unlikely and would be a first for me to see.

Has the block been milled/decked?  Pictures of the ID pad stampings and casting dates would also help us figure out a lot of things.

:Twocents:

71butterbee

Quote from: hemigeno on June 14, 2007, 03:07:21 PM
If the casting date was read correctly, then something isn't right with the assembly stamping.  That block would have been cast about 6 weeks after production of '68s stopped and about 4 weeks after production of the '69s started.  It could have been mis-stamped as a D-series (68) rather than an E-series (69) but that would be highly unlikely and would be a first for me to see.

Has the block been milled/decked?  Pictures of the ID pad stampings and casting dates would also help us figure out a lot of things.

So the D-series stamping would have stopped with the start of the 69 production run. I thought maybe the D-series stamping was a year thing and ran until the end of the year then changing to the E-series then. Ok so I better recheck the casting date...maybe i got it wrong with all the years of build up maybe i could have read the casting date in error.
Thanks

bull

Quote from: 71butterbee on June 14, 2007, 03:35:49 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on June 14, 2007, 03:07:21 PM

So the D-series stamping would have stopped with the start of the 69 production run. I thought maybe the D-series stamping was a year thing and ran until the end of the year then changing to the E-series then. Ok so I better recheck the casting date...maybe i got it wrong with all the years of build up maybe i could have read the casting date in error.
Thanks

What's the build-date of your car? My build date is Jan. 8, 1968 and I have an August '67 383 with a 'D' on the distributor pad. IIRC the engines got the dist. pad stamping when they were put in the cars, not when they were cast, so it should not have a 'D' if it has the casting date you say it has. Everything sounds right for it to be in a late '67 or early '68 production car except that '68 casting number on the block.