News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

timed or manifold vacuum on a Edelbrock

Started by 1BAD68, June 13, 2007, 08:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

Ok, I just noticed that I have my vacuum advance connected to the manifold vacuum fitting on the carb (drivers side) I read that it should be on the (passenger side) timed or ported fitting.
its a rebuilt 318 with stock distributor, always runs great so I'm wondering if I switch it to the ported/timed fitting will it make any difference?

Ghoste

1BAD68

Ghoste

Tuneability for one.  If you think about having vacuum applied to your advance at idle, why not just turn the dist to that initial setting anyway?
If you do a quick search on the site though, I know it has come up here a bunch of times and guys way way smarter than I'll ever be do a much better job of explaining it.

Plumcrazy

If you connect manifold vacuum to the distributor you in effect turn it into a vacuum retard unit.

At idle there will be no mechanical advance but you will have full vacuum advance.  When you accelerate the mechanical advance will start advancing the timing but since manifold vacuum drops, you start losing vacuum advance which cancels out some of the mechanical advance.

Switch the vacuum advance to ported(timed) vacuum and reset the timing.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

1BAD68