News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whats a 71 Road Runner worth?

Started by ChargerAndy, September 16, 2005, 05:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerAndy

Around the corner from my house there is a 71 Road Runner numbers matching 383 pistol grip 4 speed. It's been repainted, I assume, the original light green..... tho it seems dull for a repaint. The qtrs have been replaced, theres bondo and patches..... the grill is missing some platic fins...... I called the number on the sign. The guy wants $15,500.00 which is 3X what I guessed he would say.....but I dont know much about this animal's worth. What do you guys think?

04lbram

Too much. I know of a guy on here selling his 71 Road Runner for $12k and it's all original.

twilt

isnt that one for 12k an automatic? that makes a huge difference in $$

04lbram

It's automatic but, still all original and more complete than the 4 spd car.

Ghoste

Too much.  Another victim of Mopar auction hysteri(c)a(l).  To be fair, I haven't seen the car but it seems high to me.  Maybe I'm just cheap.

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

04lbram

Well folks I apologize but, anyways here's the price guide on a 71 Road Runner so he's not out of range. This is what you're looking at ChargerAndy:

Original MSRP: $3,147

Low Retail  Average Retail  High Retail
Base Price       

$8,700  $17,600  $28,500

Options       

383/300 HP 4bbl V8 Engine  15%   15%   15% 
4 Speed Transmission  5%   5%   5% 

$10,440 $21,120* $34,200

Chargerguy74

Sounds like it needs a resto. Does the motor run, is it shot, or for sure 100% matching numbers. If you said Canadian dollars I'd say we're getting warm, also depends on the original color, is it an airgrabber car, rear windo louvers, spoiler, build sheet, tags?
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

blackcharger

and of course....pictures help!
Dave

cudaken

All I can say is Pistol Gripp. Makes the price in that range. But good PIC would help. If it is number matching guy is not crazy just a little high.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Ghoste

Bondo, patches, broken grille?  We need pics.  I think it's too much.  What is the interior like?  Floors?

andy74

Ghoste

I don't know.  I thought so when I first read the post but Ken makes a great point about the four speed.  How many of the Runners came with a stick in 71?  It seems like most of the ones I've ever seen were non console four speeds but that is more than likely a local anomoly.

04lbram

Pictures will tell the story but, come on guys did you even bother looking at the prices I posted out of the price guide?

Low Retail  Average Retail  High Retail
Base Price       

$8,700  $17,600  $28,500

Options       

383/300 HP 4bbl V8 Engine  15%   15%   15% 
4 Speed Transmission  5%   5%   5% 

$10,440 $21,120* $34,200

Take a look at the first number. Yep, 10k and if the car has A/C figure another 10-15% for that price.

Ghoste

I don't put much stock in price guides.  Who writes them and why are they the all important judges? 

04lbram

Price guides are to be used as a rule of thumb. At least that's my opinion for the most part anyways. I don't know who writes them but, I do know that's what the bank uses if you do take out a classic car loan.

Ghoste

I can't argue with you on that one.

04lbram

Well look at this way, it's bettery to use that than to use the BJ Auction as a rule of thumb? Just my two cents.

Ghoste

That is my fear though.  Most of the guys who compile those things just take recent auction results and post them as fact.  If it were someone who intimately familiar with the car and compiled his guide by taking the results of actual private sales across the country, that would be accurate.  Even then, you'd probably need a regional trend figure.
They are a rule of thumb, but too many people take them as gospel with sellers always wanting the high figure and buyers only offering the low.

04lbram

Hmmm, that's interesting Ghoste. Either way most of the cars I think are pricey but, Mopar is rarer of Chevrolet & Ford so its worth it I suppose. Just be nice it they were priced like they were in the 80s but, oh well so much for that lol.

Ghoste

I can accept that they are more money it just seems like the price has not increased in a "normal" (?) line.

I also get angry when I see the speculator investment types jumping on Mopars to make a little mercenary cash and in private, they hate Mopars.

ChargerAndy

I can try to get pics of this car when I get a chance and post them here. I guess maybe the thing that gets me is about the price is this: I bought my 68 charger for $8,250.00 and over the course of the following year put as much more into it. What I have now is a pretty decently restored  RT clone which gets compliments almost everywhere I go.... I love to drive it and I think it's worth every dollar I put into it though I don't think I would ever get my time compensated.....but I don't care about that.  From the look of that Road Runner it is in just slightly better shape than my Charger  before restoration......... but it's numbers matching and a pistol grip......... the thing is, I would never pay $15,500 for it because it's not my kinda car, a 68 charger is my kinda car..... in fact I am not sure what the attraction is to any 3rd generation but If it's your thing great, more power to ya brother! I think the bottom line is  this: Something is worth as much as somebody will pay for it. I just didn't think the 71 RoadRunner had that kind of following.....especially when I remember cars like that going for 1500 bucks, and they were only 10 years old at the time..... of course gas was like 98 cents a gallon too. :sick:   Andy

04lbram

Ghoste,

You are right about that. But, anyways at least there some decents deals out there to be had.

04lbram

TheGhost

Sounds high to me.  As the 71 Plymouth B body is my favorite car, I try to follow their prices.  I'd say he is about 2-5k over what it's really worth, based on the description.  Pics would help, of course.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.