News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to remove the windshield and rear window?

Started by Beer, July 24, 2005, 01:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beer

How to remove the windshield and rear window?

Its a gen 3...

I believe removing the trim, then pushing out on the glass from the inside should work?
I saw something were wire was used to cut through the windshield glue...once a corner was out?

Just want to know how others have done it  :icon_smile_question:

Cheers
Beer
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

AKcharger

On third gen's both are glued in one of those wire cutters will work fine, I think east woods has them. Be very careful pushing on the glass!

good luck!

AK

Beer

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

Drop Top

They make a tool for this with an L shaped blade on it. Much easier then the wire. Do the front one first you can buy new front glass but you can't get new rear. If you push on it at al,l you WILL crack it.

NHCharger

Hey Beer, I posted a thread on how to remove a rear window on a 3rd gen on the old board (oh well). I used the wire method, not knowing about the L shaped tool you can use to cut the seal :eyes:. I did manage to remove it with out breaking it. If you want me to post the pics let me know.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Beer

NH Pics would be great...hey if I buy the Beer and lunch...how bout coming over and lending a hand!   :icon_smile_tongue:
Bath Maine here.

Cheers
Beer

Telvis

I paid a local glass company to remove mine. They charged me $100.

NHCharger

OK, here are some pics.
1. After removing the trim I dug out all the crap with a screwdriver. The window must have leaked before because somone emptied a tube of silicone under the bottom piece of trim in a rookie attempt to stop the leak.
2. Pry out the trim clips with a screwdriver.
3. If you use the tool that was mentioned earlier you don't need to use this wire method. I had my son inside the car with a pair of vise grips pulling on the wire. I found that you could only pull against the sealant from the inside. When I tried pulling on the wire and against the sealant from the outside I could see the glass trying to pull up, and I was worried that I would break the glass if I keep trying. It took about 45 minutes of sawing with the wire to get the glass out.
I also replaced all the trim clips since some were damaged, good luck finding those.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

Hey Beer, how far past Portland is Bath? I'm in Barrington, about 30 minutes from Kittery.
I bought my 72 Charger up in Fort Fairfield next to Preque Isle in October 2000.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Silver R/T

you can use old piano wire trick to remove it, cut through the glue
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Beer

Thanks I like Telvis's Idea, I will prep it, see if I can get a wire under it and see how it goes. If it dont look good, then when   I tow the car around for body estimates the glass shop may be the first stop.

Pics and progress coming when I give it a shot   :)

PM inbound to ya NH

Telvis

They even removed the stainless trim for me. I figured I would bend it up trying to remove it. The guy agreed to reinstall it for the same price. It was Harmon Glass co. I think they are a nationwide franchise company.

Beer

Both windows in about an hour...

1. remove all the windshield adhesive on the outside and butting up against the windows.
2. we used a 3" putty knife and cut our way through from the inside on the back window. Once we cut through pretty much all the way around, the window pushed out fine.

The 3" putty knife was to wide on the front window with the curves, and unfortunately hairlined cracked early in the operation.
I will be needing a new front windshield...had we used a 1" putty knife I think it would have come out unscathed....

Got the doors off and the trunk.

Soon it will be off to the body shop for new metal!

Had a restore guy look at the car, he recommends the wire method...

Cheers
Beer

NichIowa

Very Nice!  just read the thread and went out and tried it, it took about 5 min for the rear window by myself. Have been pondering this for awhile, thank you for the topic have been saved any times because of the forum.

PatrickPeeters

How did you do it? knife or wire?

Quote from: NichIowa on November 25, 2005, 12:29:39 AM
Very Nice!  just read the thread and went out and tried it, it took about 5 min for the rear window by myself. Have been pondering this for awhile, thank you for the topic have been saved any times because of the forum.
Patrick  :punkrocka:

ramairthree

I have done the rookie leak fix in the past!

On the good side I have had good luck finding the trim clips, same for my javelin as my rr.

I went into napa to get some interior panel trim screws and even found some amc lip molding clips by luck.

Silver R/T

Cold Knife works the best. Takes a minute to cut all the way around and window just pops out.
http://a-teamproducts.com/GlassTools.aspx
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

PatrickPeeters

Got mine out now..slash and dash a litle bit with a knife. after 25 minutes the glas came out.....
:2thumbs:

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

PatrickPeeters

Wicked72

I got a glass removal kit from....Harbor Freight.... And it took longer to get the trim and clips out of the way then it did to remove the glass. The kit is awsome! and worth the $10 I paid for it!
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: Wicked72 on November 05, 2010, 07:07:15 PM
I got a glass removal kit from....Harbor Freight.... And it took longer to get the trim and clips out of the way then it did to remove the glass. The kit is awsome! and worth the $10 I paid for it!

That would work 2, maybe next time thanks for the tip...