News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hood scoops

Started by 1958300, June 12, 2007, 09:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK, in an effort to break my well documented addiction to 1972 Rallye Chargers, I have started looking at 1970 Coronets. Still hung up on air grabber hoods, and I have run across a mystery. I thought only the 3rd Gen cars had different hoods in an effort by Ma Mopar to confuse us all 35 years later, but I am now seeing two different air grabber hoods on the 70 Coronets. One style has two separate scoops like the 1969, and one style has a center bulge with two inlets.

Can somebody tell me why there are two different hoods, and maybe a short history on the air grabber hoods on the 1968 and 1969 Coronets as well?
pwlynn@att.net
1972 Charger Rallye coupe auto 440 N96, GY9 (1 of 28)
1990 Dakota convertible

sunroofsuperbird

The center bulge hood is not a air grabber just standard hood.
Some of My Mopars
69 Charger R/T 4x4
71 Challenger R/T stationwagon
70 Sunroof superbird clone
70 Superbird conv
69 Daytona 4X4 clone
68 GTX conv
71 Challenger conv pace car
70 Swinger Conv
2 78 Aspen Super Coupes
78 Aspen Super Coupe Sedan Delivery
80 Aspen Load Runner wagon
67 Fury 6 door limo wagon
76 Aspen R/T sunroof
38 dodge street rod
40 Dodge Tk street rod
and many more projects

Mean 318

Yep, the Coronet R/T and Super Bee had those two hoods to pick from! The center scoop or "power bulge hood" and the dual scoop or "ramcharger" the power bulge is only for looks and not functional -but it does look damn cool!

Mean 318

there is the "power bulge" -not functional but damn cool looking! and the "ramcharger" Both very nice looking!