News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the best brake fluid to use in a new brake system?

Started by Blakcharger440, June 14, 2007, 02:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

I have installed a new 4 wheel power disc brake system on my 1970 Dodger RT and I am wondering what is the best brake fluid to use in it?

whitehatspecial

Silicone if you've changed everything, lines, etc. It doesn't hold moisture and is more stable than conventional.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

bill440rt

I just installed a 4-wheel disc brake setup from SSBC on my '69. I called SSBC, because in their manual it says DOT3 or 4 fluid only. They do not recommend DOT5 fluid, because there may be compatibility issues with the seals in their parts. They recommended DOT 3 or 4 fluids only.

I ended up using a synthetic brake fluid by Valvoline called Synpower.
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=51

It's DOT3 & 4 compatible, & is synthetic so it shouldn't eat paint. I've had some drip on painted parts already, so far no problems. SSBC also approved the use of this fluid. I figured it has the benefits of DOT 5, & is OK to use in the SSBC brake system.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

daytonalo

Dot 5 will work on all non Abs systems . I personally have swapped out to Dot 5 on 20 cars ! Its a no brainer !!!!!!!!

Plumcrazy

Quote from: daytonalo on June 14, 2007, 11:53:08 PM
Dot 5 will work on all non Abs systems . I personally have swapped out to Dot 5 on 20 cars ! Its a no brainer !!!!!!!!

:iagree:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

pandamarie

I use Dot 5 silicone brake fluid on all my cars from a 1939 Packard V12 Limo to a nash Metropolitan and it wont hurt any seals and wont take the paint off your car if you happen to spill some on it. British cars have natural rubber seals and dot 3 and 4 will swell them up and make them useless in 2 months, Ive been running silicone in 7 different Metros(which were built in england) on both the brake and clutch side and havent had a problem in 13 years.

bill440rt

I also run DOT 5  on my '68 & '70 Chargers. They have STOCK braking systems. It works great & I have no problems.

However, my other '69 has an aftermarket SSBC brake set up. I was told by SSBC, the MANUFACTURER, NOT to use DOT 5 in their system. If I wasn't told otherwise, it would've been DOT 5 all the way. The Synpower SYNTHETIC fluid I went with repels moisture & has a boiling point of over 500 degrees. Sounds good to me.

Not sure what setup you went with Blakcharger. If it was an SSBC setup, I'd go with what the MANUFACTURER recommends.  :Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Im gonna try that stuff Bill next time I swap master cylinders....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Blakcharger440

Quote from: bill440rt on June 15, 2007, 11:05:05 AM
I also run DOT 5  on my '68 & '70 Chargers. They have STOCK braking systems. It works great & I have no problems.

However, my other '69 has an aftermarket SSBC brake set up. I was told by SSBC, the MANUFACTURER, NOT to use DOT 5 in their system. If I wasn't told otherwise, it would've been DOT 5 all the way. The Synpower SYNTHETIC fluid I went with repels moisture & has a boiling point of over 500 degrees. Sounds good to me.

Not sure what setup you went with Blakcharger. If it was an SSBC setup, I'd go with what the MANUFACTURER recommends.  :Twocents:

It has the bigger 11 3/4in. Cordoba Rotors up front and has the TSM rear disc brake kit in the rear. It has new stainless lines from front to back with a rebuilt power disc brake booster and mastercylinder.

daytonalo

All the above ! The biggest disadvantage of standard brake fluid is moisture as mentioned above . Think of it this way , your precise hunk of shits internal braking components are a ticking time bomb with rust from moisture from standard fluid ! Th e comment about hunk of shit is not directed at any one person , just all of us ! Larry