News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LIVE Broadcast of the '57 Belvedere!*Update*Winner Found

Started by Skued, June 11, 2007, 07:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

Quote from: bordin34 on June 15, 2007, 10:53:44 PM
Quote from: Drache on June 15, 2007, 10:18:35 PM
He was also there to see about the car since it's his duty to restore the car.
He's restoring it.  :smilielol:
That wont turn out well, I bet it gets a octuple tone paint job.

Maybe some 22 inch spinners.   :coolgleamA:   :slap:

BigBlackDodge

Tires are still able to hold air ;)

There's chrome under that gunk! :o

Rear springs are sagging.......... :scratchchin:

Hood hinges are still working. :rofl:

Interior.......well....................look! Chrome! :D

Looks like the window regulators are still working.........windows up, windows down. :2thumbs:

Although she looks like Christine after the night she caught fire and ran over a few hoodlums, it might clean up better than we think. :coolgleamA: It's hard to tell whats rust and what silt.

...........maybe it will 'heal' itself tonight and be in pristine condition in the morning! :nana:

BBD

GreenMachine

Quote from: Drache on June 15, 2007, 09:07:30 PM
For all those that thing the car is toast... of all the closeups they showed on the video I didn't see any rust holes! They also started polishing spots on the bumper and DAMN did it shine!

From what was said, the winner gets the car AFTER it's been restored by the guys at American Hot Rod....  :brickwall:

The bracing on the underside of the hood and trunk were rusted pretty bad. On the trunk, you could see it hanging down several inches, I thought it might bend in half under its own weight.
   Did you see they left the battery hooked up! They took every precaution to preserve the car my ass, removing the battery would've been the most obvious thing to do.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

BigBlackDodge

I like the way the dipstick is pulled up in that last pics...............like they were going to getting it running! :rotz: Check the oil Boyd.........we don't want to sieze the motor when she fires up! :lol:

BBD

JimShine

For all those that thing the car is toast... of all the closeups they showed on the video I didn't see any rust holes! They also started polishing spots on the bumper and DAMN did it shine!

From what was said, the winner gets the car AFTER it's been restored by the guys at American Hot Rod....  :brickwall:

The leaf springs rotted to nothing.

The car appeared to have been always atleast partially under water. The frame has got to be rusted badly! The chrome plating on the bumper proves nothing! Again, a car submerged in water will rot differently than one above ground exposed to more air, only one side getting wet, as well as UV's and other natural occurances that wear and break them down. Like people sticking their fingers through soft spots.

Drache

They said the battery was removed and placed in the trunk
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

GreenMachine

Quote from: Drache on June 15, 2007, 11:09:03 PM
They said the battery was removed and placed in the trunk

That's what one of the guys they interviewed said, he was wrong. The battery is still hooked up in the car. Boyd even mentions it, me and my buddy were making fun of him after he said that until they showed the audience the engine compartment. There it was cables hooked up and everything.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger_Fan

Thanks for the pics, you guys. That poor thing is just a mess. :'( Hopefully they can actually do something with it...they'd better not rebody it & say "lookie, all restored!" :eek2:

I couldn't get the stinkin' video to play at home either, what a bummer.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bull

More pice here: http://news.yahoo.com/photos/sm/events/lf/061507belvedere/p:1

By the way, if the car was mostly or completely submurged under water for that past several years it stands to reason that it might be as badly rusted as some might think. For rust to start and spread it requires the presence of oxygen and acidic water. If the car was submurged for most of that 50 years there's wouldn't have been much oxygen getting to it for the rust to really get going. They need to pressure wash it and see what all doesn't blow away. The interior is very obviously shot but I'm holding out some hope for the body and frame. :shruggy: So sue me.

Red Ram

"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

Dodge440Coronut

There is something shady about this whole deal. A lot of the news sources said that the vault had 2 feet of standing water in it. Check this video out, clearly showing the trunk completely submerged. I just wish better pics would get out of it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ETwNR4lNW18

I was really hoping the car would turn out better, it's a shame Year One doesn't sell Exner era parts, they could make a killing off the future owners.....

Anyway.....
More Video from the "Buried Car" program.... if you can stomach Boyd for 4 minutes..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=reKfD8lNhac

Almost 2000 posts on the old site..... long time mopar guy

charger Downunder

[/quote]

dodgecharger-fan

I didn't hear that at all, but if that's the case then it sounds like Boyd's trying to get out of it. When announcing the car he said, in effect, "She should be left exactly as we found her."

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: charger Downunder on June 16, 2007, 03:30:17 AM
Who won it

They won't know until about a week from now.
They have to go through all of the entries to see who was closest to guessing the population of the city.

Interestingly, they read the first name and guess on the list and it was pretty close - within 10,000.

Skued

Quote from: charger Downunder on June 16, 2007, 03:30:17 AM
Who won it
The winner will be named June 22.  As of last night what they thought was the microfilm container was rust out in the car.  However, the actual time capsule had the lot of post cards with guess on them and was given to the accounting firm.

Clear a few things up. 1. the vault had water up to the deck lid when they first opened it. 2. Boyd was onlythere to help try and start it. The car regardless of condition is to be given to the winner next week.  Boyd and his Mary-men are not charged with restoring it. 3. As many picture show the battery was in fact still hook up. :slap:
I think that covers most of the rumors.  Oh, and no they didn't find Jimmy Hoffain the trunk. ;)

If you have any request for picture of the Plymouth let me know before 10:00am cst.  It will be on display for close inspection today for the public.  Here's to a great open show today :cheers: .  More pictures to come this afternoon.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

dodgecharger-fan

Take as many pictures as you possibly can. ;)

They also found a list of the entries on paper. So, the cards are neat, but when they first found them, my first thought was "that can't be all of them. Someone's gonna sue because not all the entries are included..."
When they found that list, it pretty much saved the contest and this whole event from becoming a nightmare.

Skued

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on June 16, 2007, 08:08:59 AM
Take as many pictures as you possibly can. ;)

They also found a list of the entries on paper. So, the cards are neat, but when they first found them, my first thought was "that can't be all of them. Someone's gonna sue because not all the entries are included..."
When they found that list, it pretty much saved the contest and this whole event from becoming a nightmare.
That's funny! That's exactly what I was thinking last night.  :smilielol: Didn't look like there were more than twenty or so.  Than again I was in the nose bleed section.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

xs29j8Bullitt

After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Lee01

Anyone can confirm the ''prowler"" burried in Tulsa?? Pics??
Was burried in 1997 and suppose to be open in 2047 for Tulsa 100th anniversary  :scratchchin:

If this true, hope se make it ok, atleast hope they will have better ...uh...coffin!  :yesnod: 
Current ride:
2012 Boss 302 YB #0664
2018 WRX
2018 Crosstrek
2004 SRT-4
WTB 68-69 Charger

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Lee01 on June 16, 2007, 09:03:58 AM
Anyone can confirm the ''prowler"" burried in Tulsa?? Pics??
Was burried in 1997 and suppose to be open in 2047 for Tulsa 100th anniversary  :scratchchin:

If this true, hope se make it ok, atleast hope they will have better ...uh...coffin!  :yesnod: 

Wikipedia said this about the Prowler.

In 1998, a Prowler prototype was buried along with other artifacts in a time capsule in Tulsa, Oklahoma to be unearthed in 2048, whereupon it will be returned to DaimlerChrysler

Or maybe just 'Chrysler' now................. :icon_smile_big:

BBD

Bones68charger

Whats up with people from Oklahoma and burying cars?

BigBlackDodge

Khyron

because there is nothing else to do there?  :nana:

and I weep for that car :cry:

poor thing....... and not really for the rust....

but because Boyde touched it  :D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

gtx6970

Looks like the car has been sitting in muck for the last 49 years.

What a shame. I know it's about more than just the car. it's about history.For that my hats are off the the original organizers. I realize it could have been done differently / maybe  better, But one has to realize it was 1957 , the mindset was not what it is today.