News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LIVE Broadcast of the '57 Belvedere!*Update*Winner Found

Started by Skued, June 11, 2007, 07:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAZZARDJOHN

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0607/431137.html

What's with tulsa and burying cars? Here is a Plymouth prowler that is to be entombed for another 41 years.

~HJ
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: HAZZARDJOHN on June 17, 2007, 01:53:11 PM
http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0607/431137.html

What's with tulsa and burying cars? Here is a Plymouth prowler that is to be entombed for another 41 years.

~HJ
I hope they don't put it in the same vault. :D

JimShine

I would say the reason they do not wipe it down is because the crap that is on it is hiding just how bad the car is, People see the pics and are already assuming there is little rust and what we see is clay/dirt. To clean it would expose it and make it unquestionable.

sixpack70

1966 Falcon
1969 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Charger R/T 440+6 4spd

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

hemi-hampton

I seen one picture where someone wiped off the mud from front bumper & to my surprise it was nice looking Chrome & at first I thought the mud that was wiped was really rust so it may clean up better then we think? LEON. :scratchchin:

Mike DC

The lower half of the outer skin is still there.  That's better than half the cars in junkyards from that era these days.

But it's probably still pretty compromised.  We won't know much until they start cleaning it up.

Bluestar

My thought seeing that the lower sheet metal looks fairly intact and the section of bumper cleaned up well is that structurally it may be okay.  Stuff like the interior will be junk as will most of the electrical stuff.  If they removed that battery (which I thought I read they did) none of the electrical stuff will be fried and might be rebuildable.  I saw lots of mud, but did not see any evidence of rust, but it could be hidden.  Remember it takes oxygen to form rust and in a flooded crypt there may be very little O2 getting in there.

Hopefully we will get to see what it looks like when and if it is cleaned up.  I saw a bit where the Mayor stated that he hoped that car would remain in Tulsa in the condition it is presently in a museum.  I for one would love to have it.

The70RT

Quote from: Bluestar on June 18, 2007, 09:51:17 AM
My thought seeing that the lower sheet metal looks fairly intact and the section of bumper cleaned up well is that structurally it may be okay.  Stuff like the interior will be junk as will most of the electrical stuff.  If they removed that battery (which I thought I read they did) none of the electrical stuff will be fried and might be rebuildable.  I saw lots of mud, but did not see any evidence of rust, but it could be hidden.  Remember it takes oxygen to form rust and in a flooded crypt there may be very little O2 getting in there.

Hopefully we will get to see what it looks like when and if it is cleaned up.  I saw a bit where the Mayor stated that he hoped that car would remain in Tulsa in the condition it is presently in a museum.  I for one would love to have it.

They found a leaf spring that fell off in the casket.........so yeah it is rusted
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

I imagine it's had plenty of oxygen get in there over the last 5 decades as well.

Skued

The winner of the '57 was announced at noon today.  Drum roll please. 

The winner is R.E. Humbertson.   R.E. Humbertson or next of kin has fives years to collect his car.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Charger_Fan

Shit, if five years that car will be a pile of rust dust & some windows! :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Skued

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on June 22, 2007, 02:35:50 PM
Shit, if five years that car will be a pile of rust dust & some windows! :smilielol:
Won't be to hard to transport.  Just a broom, dust pan and trash bag. :smilielol:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

71ChallengeHer

Does the winner have to pay taxes on the value of the car? Cause if he does , I think someone owes him some money.  :rofl:

Spike

BURIED BELVEDERE WINNER ANNOUNCED

After being removed from its underground vault after 50 years and subsequently unveiled to a crowd of thousands last week, the 1957 Plymouth "Miss Belvedere" finally has its first owner.

With a guess of 384,743, R.E. Humbertson was declared the winner of the car at a news conference held earlier this afternoon at East Tulsa Dodge. Born in July of 1921, Humbertson (or his or her closest living relative) will have five years to claim the vehicle before it becomes the property of the Tulsa Historical Society.

Tulsarama co-chair Sharon King Davis said she is excited to fulfill the vision of the original Tulsarama organizers.

"Now that Miss Belvedere finally has her owner, the vision that started in 1957 has officially reached its completion," King Davis said. "We know that the owner will treat her with the respect she deserves, as she stands as a symbol of the spirit of Tulsa."

The process of awarding the car to a lucky Tulsan was started in 1957, when citizens were asked to guess what the population of Tulsa would be in 2007, with the person who guessed the closest being given ownership.

The guesses were found written on postcards in the time capsule buried with the Belvedere, rather than on microfilm as originally thought. The population guesses ranged from zero (4 guesses) to 1-2 Billion (5 guesses). The dates of birth of the entrants ranged from 1885 to 1957. Two entries even listed their birthplace as Indian Territory.

Humbertson will also receive a $100 savings bond which was buried with the car. The bond is estimated to have matured to $700 over the past 50 years.

The full list of guesses can be found at www.buriedcar.com

bull

Charger Aficionado

Maybe if just the walls of the coffin were above ground level, it wouldn't have got so much ground water, ya' think?

Man, I'm glad I didn't go.

Charger1973

They at least need to wash it...   Not only to see what it looks like, but its gotta be pretty nasty smelling by now...   :eek2:

They should deliver it for the guy.  Hell if I lived very far away im not sure I would want to go haul that thing home.  Someone who lives in the city would get a fine the minute they pulled in the driveway.   :patrol:

Ghoste

Spike

He got a piece of history. Ya the car didn't turn out the way everyone had hoped for but it still has significant value in Tulsa history. I'd be willing to bet one of the museums strike up a deal with the new owner and it becomes a museum piece.

Ghoste

And that's truthfully where it belongs anyhow.  They could place it in it's current state into some sort of hermetically sealed glass container for the world to view.

Skued

Raymond E. Humbertson Has been found.  However he died in 1979.  His closest living relative(s) are his two older sisters.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070623_238_A1_spanc67588

70charginglizard

Quote from: Skued on June 23, 2007, 11:43:09 AM
Raymond E. Humbertson Has been found.  However he died in 1979.  His closest living relative(s) are his two older sisters.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070623_238_A1_spanc67588

His two older sisters are probably thinking. What the hell are we going to do with that thing. lmao.

I think they should just leave it to the town. It would be much beter appreciated there.

To bad I'm not related to them. I'd still take it in a heartbeat.
70charginglizard

Skued

:popcrn:
Today's paper-
Quote"LaVada already announced the highest bidder gets it," Sue (Humbertson) Gerhart said.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070624_1_A1_iEdit41017