News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LIVE Broadcast of the '57 Belvedere!*Update*Winner Found

Started by Skued, June 11, 2007, 07:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtx6970

Charger1973

Why underground?  It would have been just as interesting and much safer if they had just built a sealed vault above ground.   :shruggy:  I bet the car would have come out mint if they had done it this way. 

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Charger1973 on June 16, 2007, 11:35:02 AM
Why underground?  It would have been just as interesting and much safer if they had just built a sealed vault above ground.   :shruggy:  I bet the car would have come out mint if they had done it this way. 

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

rt green

third string oil changer

Mike DC

QuoteWhy underground?  It would have been just as interesting and much safer if they had just built a sealed vault above ground.   shruggy  I bet the car would have come out mint if they had done it this way.

How about wars, for one thing?  Nukes, conventional bombings, maybe even internally-caused riots, etc. 

I'll bet they honestly thought it would be safer underground.  In 1957 they probably had a lot of faith in their newest technologies (better concrete qualities than in the past, etc).  And we're also talking about people who had just seen two world wars inside of 30 years, then the invention of Nuclear weapons, and then another decade of "cold-war" nuclear buildup after that.  They probably had no faith in the geopolitical situation that we'd have peace on U.S. soil for this long. 

Trying to forcast 50 years into the future in 1957 . . . hell, they might have even wondered if people would eventually just FORGET about it. 
Look at the sci-fi of the time:  Plenty of people in 1957 thought we might be living on Mars by now.

Highbanked Hauler

your right, it was 12 years later and we landed on the moon. Time capsules were all the rage in that era along with bomb shelters. to bad the vault wasn't sealed better.  Sad :rotz:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Drache

I think I would have created a very deep drainage system. All the concrete floor did was create a swimming pool, the water had no where to go!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Charger-Bodie

all i know is that its a shame that there is a brand 0 miles 57 belvedere pile of rust sitting on display in Tulsa when it could have been preserved alot better . imo
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

DodgeChargerNeeded

I hate to say it but what is everybody really whining and crying about. Name some other town that has buried a car in the ground. Probably one of the coolest things ever done I mean what would have happened to it if they had just sold it. The car would most likely be in a junkyard now anyway. I challenge anyone here to bury a car in your back yard the best way you know how and then dig it up 50 years later and see how it turns out. Hell even 5 years later.
Jeff

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: DodgeChargerNeeded on June 16, 2007, 02:56:01 PM
I hate to say it but what is everybody really whining and crying about. Name some other town that has buried a car in the ground. Probably one of the coolest things ever done I mean what would have happened to it if they had just sold it. The car would most likely be in a junkyard now anyway. I challenge anyone here to bury a car in your back yard the best way you know how and then dig it up 50 years later and see how it turns out. Hell even 5 years later.

im not whining about it at all and as far as the whole deal goes i think its AWESOME !! im just disapinted of the outcome of the car its almost like when Mike and Jim where excused from Bullrun its a let down no matter how cool the rest of the deal is . unless you where hoping for it to come out rusted to that extreme !!

Skued

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Skued

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Skued

Drache

Maybe it's just me but I don't see a whole lot of actual rust on that car. My '69 Skylark sat under a tarp for only 15 years and there were holes in the fenders and the quarter panels were damn near gone. I've seen allot of Charger projects in these forums that have huge holes of rust. Just look at the poor '66 Charger below and it was in a shed for half it's life.

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Skued

Charger_Fan

Miss Belvedere looks a little better today, now that she's drying out. :icon_smile_big:

Good lookin' cars at the car show there. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

DodgeChargerNeeded

I was actually thinking it would look a lot worse on the outside with all the water that got to it. Does anyone know if they are going to attempt to clean it or leave it as is
Jeff

Skued

The Belvedere is covered in rust! The paint is blistered the underside is one large rustcicle.
Pure Evil :o

90+ powlers

I loveflames!

400+ car today in the open show.  Three 1st generation chargers, 2 '69, and zero third generation.
This weekend events was my fathersday gift and it was one of the best! :2thumbs:

Dodge440Coronut

Is it just me or is this car having the Christine effect on you..... I've can't quit thinking about it, for the past 3 days atleast one in five of my thoughts has been about this car....... I really, really want to wash that car too...
Almost 2000 posts on the old site..... long time mopar guy

tan top

so whats the deal are they going to clean it up  :shruggy: ..... restore it :scratchchin:            :popcrn:   if it is that rotted may be they should put it back in the concrete box & seal it back up RIP :'(
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Skued

Quote from: tan top on June 17, 2007, 04:40:07 AM
so whats the deal are they going to clean it up  :shruggy: ..... restore it :scratchchin:            :popcrn:   if it is that rotted may be they should they should put it back in the concrete box & seal it back up RIP :'(
No, the car will not be cleaned any further than it is now.  The winner, if one is found will be announced June 22.  If no winner comes forward next week the car will be held in trust for five years.  Than the car will belong to the Tulsa Historical Society.  I personally believe that the car should be stabilized(stop any further deterioration) and left the way it is.  It's the only one in the world.  To see it in person is pretty amazing.  To be honest, I hope no winner is found and Tulsa keeps it and places it on display with the time capsule for all to come and see. :Twocents:

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Mike DC

I don't see why they didn't at least wash/wipe the outside of the thing by hand a little before it got displayed.

I understand that they wanna show it "as is" rather than starting to polish it or anything, and I agree with that.  But they could have knocked off the obvious mud so we could at least see what color it had been.  If they actually value the mud caked on the panels from the groundwater, then was also a sin to remove the tarp that was over it.

Mean 318

take pics to "save the as it was found look" and wash the damn car!