News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic Car Insurance Recommendations?

Started by Dale The Bold, September 17, 2005, 03:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale The Bold

The old board used to have lots of stuff on the subject, but I haven't found anything here about Classic Car Insurance.  The time has come for me to insure my '69, and I can't remember which insurance companies got the thumbs up or thumbs down.

Any recommendations?
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

4cruzin

Haggerty Insurance seem to be popular.  I personally have Farmer's Insurance and get a great rate!   :2thumbs:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

ramit

I got the lowest quote from grundy insurance.

derailed

mine is through Condon and Skelly, ive had them since 1987 with no problems

MoparYoungGun

I know people with Hagerty and they are very pleased with them.

NHCharger

I have Hagerty. Just upped my coverage to 20k for my 71, 15k for my 72. I think I pay around $400./year. They will ask you questions about if it's garaged, number of miles driven, etc, which will help determine your cost.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

89MOPAR

Also look at American Collectors Insurance out of Cherry Hill, NJ.
Thats who I use.
Fixed Agreed Value.  No appraisal. Had to send in pics. 3000 miles a year [ can get more]  .kept in locked garage when not in use. No drivers with less than 10 yrs experience.
Very good pricing I think.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

dd44068

My father and I both use American Collectors Insurance out of cherry hill for our chargers no complaints , he had them for over 10 years and myself for 1.

Silver R/T

hagerty is way to go, they dont hassle and usually dont screw you over
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

694spdRT

I have Haggerty as well. What I like about them is they will also insure newer cars that are considered rare or collectible.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

LeeBoy

I have American Collectors insurance as well. I got it through my regular insurance agent It is for my 1973 Sattellite Sebring Plus. $15,000 agreed value with $500 spare parts coverage (like that's enough). 1,200 annual mileage limit, must be garage kept on your property, no drivers without ten years driving experience. The annual premium is $96.00.  :yesnod: I had American Collectors in the past but got it through the actual company and for $10,000 agreed value the annual premium was $235.00. So check to see if you regular insurance agent carries any specialty car insurance
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

69_500

In my opinion there isn't any better company to insure a classic car through than AON Insurance.

I checked through them and they would insure the 69 500 for $90,000 and the cost would be $141 every 6 months. Not a bad price if you ask me.

Charger4404spd

I use Hagerty also. $40,000 agreed value for $295 annually.

69_500

Another upside to AON insurance is that they don't require an appraisal. Only that you send detailed photos of the inside and out of the vehicle. I know a lot of the Daytona Superbird Club owners use AON, so they have probably been swamped lately with request to up their insured values.

69bananabeast

which insurance companies are  young driver  and 4 days driving a week friendly?  ???
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

89MOPAR

Quote from: 69bananabeast on September 18, 2005, 09:35:26 PM
which insurance companies are   young driver   and 4 days driving a week friendly?   ???

The ones that recieve your payments on time, haha.
Basically none, don't get tickets or accidents, there are price breaks at 25 and 35 yrs of age  usually , and if your married. But marriage will cost more than you save on insurance!
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

nh_mopar_fan

I use Grundy.

But, let's be serious, most insurance companies will be great at cashing your premium check.

Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of having to collect on a policy?

There's the true measure of whether an insurance company is one you'd want to deal with.

ramit

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on September 19, 2005, 08:19:10 AM
I use Grundy.

But, let's be serious, most insurance companies will be great at cashing you premium check.

Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of having to collect on a policy?

There's the true measure of whether an insurance company is one you'd want to deal with.
You make a good point.  I am use to having an actual agent to talk to when I have problem, not a 1-800 number.

69_500

I  talked to a few DSAC members who were using AON Insuarance and had to collect some money to repair damages from a HAIL storm while at a show. They were very promt with their cutting of the check for repairs and very fair on the amounts as well.

However to be fair to other companies these are the only people insured from AON that I've ever talked to that had a claim.

AKcharger

I had a problem where I didn't have a garage and not enough cars ( have to have 1 car for every driver OTHER than the classic) So I went with State farm. Use tyhe above companys if you can but if you don't qualify give SF a call, I'm happy

AK

69bananabeast

called hagerty and said would only allow 3500 miles year , and would like to drive it about 10k a year .  :rotz:  guess im stuck with payin 2k a year
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

MichaelRW

I have Haggerty for my Charger and the rate is just a little over $300 per year for an agreed upon value of $45,000. The car must be garaged and not driven more than 2,500 or 3,500 miles per. I can't remember which but I only put on about 1500 per year anyways.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

THE COLONEL

I also have Haggerty, and what I like about it, is if i get hit, and the car is (God Forbid) really totaled, they will give me the agreed upon value of the car.  I am very pleased with Haggerty.
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

69bananabeast

called every single one of those companies and  none of them will let me drive as much as I want to  :flame:  theres got to be some kind of middle  insurance company that lets you drive more than 3000 miles a year and less than 13K
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318

OldGuy

I use Hagerty and have been satisfied with their service.   They insured my 69 for $25,000 and 68 for $10,000.   Also, a 1972 Monte Carlo for $10,000 (bought the Monte new).   Premium is $271 a year.   However, like Mopar Fan said, they are quick to take your premium money but how about paying out - haven't had to file a claim and need to up the values.

Banana, good luck on finding an in-between company - never heard of one.   If you are going to drive it 13,000 miles per year, it sounds like you are going to have to go with regular insurance and most won't go with an agreed up value.   They will use blue book on any claim and you will be screwed if you have an accident.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".