News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any pics of 16 inch rims on a 71 charger ??

Started by 71 Bee Man, June 11, 2007, 07:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Bee Man

G'day guys,

still pondering over wheels.

Just wondering about 16 inch rims and how they look on a 71. I'm leaning toward 15 X 8 Magnums at the moment. I guess I'm trying to decide whether to keep the original look of the car, but with the larger 15 inch wheels in full chrome magnums (as opposed to the dress rim on the 71's), or whether to go something like a 16 inch Cragar SS or similar. I don't want it to look too "tacky" but Í think it needs larger wheels than the 14's it currently has.

Any pics are greatly appreciated. I'd love to see some side on shots of cars with various size wheels, especially Gen 3's.

Thanks,

Peter  :2thumbs:
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

mikesbbody

peter, id probably go with the 15x8 magnums if i were you however, i have seen larger wheels that look good you just have to get the right balance. If i were to put oversized wheels on my 72, id probably go 17-18's Im not sure if i have any 3rd gen charger pics with 16's but i think i have some with 17's ill have a look and see what i find cheers mike.

mikesbbody

here you go i dont have that many third gens with oversized wheels i hope this helps what do you think?

mikesbbody

a few more

mikesbbody

peter, about your comment re: the 14's i couldnt agree more i think 14's are abit small but wouldnt go bigger than 17-18's in oversized. I like 15's if i had the $ i would have a set of oversized wheels i could swap around when i felt like a change.

69bronzeT5

Anybody got pics of the 3rd Gen. with the 20 something inch wheels? :D
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mikesbbody

bronze, i posted this up before and pretty much everyone hated the look (including myself) these are 22's

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

jasonfromIKILLYA

man, I LOVE 16's on 3rd gens.  That extra inch makes all the difference in the world!!!  15's just look toy like to me.  I know that's how they came, but I don't care.  there was a time that people thought the earth was the center of the universe too.
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

plum500

Man...those 22s... yeesh.... I think 17" is my limit -- I've got 4 of em' waiting to be put on my '71 (so no pics yet.. :() but I also picked a tire that will give me a good 5" of sidewall -- gonna fill up those wells nicely I hope...

mikesbbody

Quote from: jasonfromIKILLYA on June 12, 2007, 08:16:13 AM
man, I LOVE 16's on 3rd gens.  That extra inch makes all the difference in the world!!!  15's just look toy like to me.  I know that's how they came, but I don't care.  there was a time that people thought the earth was the center of the universe too.

jason, i sorta know what your saying and kinda agree, but when i think of the "toy like" look i think of the bigger wheels after all, alot of toys come with oversized wheels! I think its a matter of balance big wheels with too lower profile tires dont do it for me but done right it looks ok. In the meantime ill stick with my 15 inch weld pro stars

jasonfromIKILLYA

I think the huge rims look bad also.  it's a delicate balance.  I just think 15 is too small for the wheel well openings.  16's or 17's with regular tires fill it up nicely.  it's all good though.  to each their own.
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

71 Bee Man

Quote from: mikesbbody on June 11, 2007, 11:08:18 PM
peter, id probably go with the 15x8 magnums if i were you however, i have seen larger wheels that look good you just have to get the right balance. If i were to put oversized wheels on my 72, id probably go 17-18's Im not sure if i have any 3rd gen charger pics with 16's but i think i have some with 17's ill have a look and see what i find cheers mike.

G'day Mike,

mate, thanks heaps for posting those pictures.

I'd like to think that 16's would give a good balance of "big wheel", but not too big.

Peter
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :

Charger1973

mikesbbody

matt, that's a site i hope i never see! lol peter, no problem re: the pics im sure whatever you do it will look good  :2thumbs: like a few of us said its a balance and a matter of taste. I like 15's but have to admit the bigger wheels can look cool also good luck   mike.

71 Bee Man

Quote from: plum500 on June 12, 2007, 08:53:53 AM
Man...those 22s... yeesh.... I think 17" is my limit -- I've got 4 of em' waiting to be put on my '71 (so no pics yet.. :() but I also picked a tire that will give me a good 5" of sidewall -- gonna fill up those wells nicely I hope...

G'day Plum500,

exactly what size tyres have you got for the 17's?

Peter

plum500

Hey Bee Man, I've got 17x8 TTOs with Fuzion ZRi (Bridgestone) 255 50s (directional) to go all around.

Brock Samson

make sure ya' post pics Plum,.. I like the looks of those 16s,..  :ricky:
  ..those 22s though..  :eek2:

T16

255/50 R16 rear.. think it will look great when the lowering blocks are in place  :D

plum500

Quote from: T16 on June 13, 2007, 11:25:21 AM

255/50 R16 rear.. think it will look great when the lowering blocks are in place  :D

T16 my thoughts exactly  hehe... I have a nice set of aluminum blocks all polished up and geared to go...  :METAL:

bordin34

I don't like anything above 15". I am going to stick with my 14's

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

71 Bee Man

Quote from: bordin34 on June 13, 2007, 03:11:28 PM
I don't like anything above 15". I am going to stick with my 14's

That's the kind of picture I was hoping for - thanks.

I think 15 will be the size I'll go. I am thinking of Cragar SS, but I really don't like the idea of their Uni lug design. Apparently they only make 15's with that uni lug style. Even after looking at different wheels on the net, I can't help but think that I'll either go with 15 inch chrome magnums, or perhaps even rallyes.

Peter

bordin34

Mine are actually old 14" Appliance Wheels. I have not seen any other set that will fit a mopar.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Brock Samson

this is the look im goin for with my Plymouth...

Neal_J

So that's what the white duct tape was for!!!

I get it now.

Neal