News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Led Zeppelin

Started by ck1, June 09, 2007, 06:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptMarvel

Never saw Zeppelin live, but I have an idea why they were and are regarded as one of the greats. They successfully merged several types of music into a style all their own. If you listen to their stuff, you'll hear blues, rock, classical and even country! (remember hot dog?) For this same reason, the Dead were also among the touring elite (and especially as concerts go) they effectively rolled country, bluegrass, blues, folk and rock into a great carreer. The Dead I did manage to see a few times. When some folks hear their name, they automatically assume they were heavy rock, but nothing could be further from the truth. Both great bands I have to say and their live stuff is legendary....

Brock Samson

don't forget also that Zep was a SUPER GROUP, that is to say Page was a Primo british guitarist and Plant was the Top singer at that time, and of course Bonham was a pretty solid drummer,.. they also played into the Olde English Germanic Druid Mythology comming into vouge at that time, which was fairly new and unexplored and, in the wake of stellar Musicianship Hendrix left behind him there was not much room for mediocrity...
I heard them on the radio when their first record was just making it to the states and that first album totally ROCKED!!!
There simply were not alot of Hard Rockin Bands going then, with the authentic chops and conviction, not to mention song writing skills...
   But i understand how in the 3+ decades following many hundreds of hard Rock acts (if not many thousands) they )ZEP( may not be appreciated as they were back in their Dancin Days.
  BTW: I went sailing on the Bay with Plant back in the early '90s... 'N ay ay MATEY,..  it was a party!..   :cheers:

hemihead

Page was a Studio Pro and ex member of the Yardbirds. John Paul Jones was another Studio Pro, Plant and Bonzo were playing is seperate local bands when Page pulled them all together. They did a lot of " lifting" old blues tunes.Their first album was released in 1969. 2 years before Hendrix died. And for my money, Page was a much better guitarist than Hendrix.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Brock Samson

Sure we could argue who's  better an all that,.. but that is not the point to enjoying music... or appreciating anything frankly...
My point was, that after hendrix hit england in '67 the bar was raised and noodleing around with insipid solos was not gonna make it anymore... here's a smilie for ya'  :nana:

pandamarie

I took my son and brother to the Jimmy Page, Robert Plant. concert when my oldest son Graduated high school. we were 3 rows from the stage. They did all the Zepplin songs they could in 3 hours. Had a great time and if I remember right they had Bonhams son on drums, so thats about as close as I got to seeing Zepplin.

70charginglizard

I only saw Robert plant solo right after the break up.

I did get to see page and plant after they got back together in the 90's though. That was pretty cool.
70charginglizard

ck1

Quote from: hemihead on June 13, 2007, 09:29:33 PM
Page was a Studio Pro and ex member of the Yardbirds. John Paul Jones was another Studio Pro, Plant and Bonzo were playing is seperate local bands when Page pulled them all together. They did a lot of " lifting" old blues tunes.Their first album was released in 1969. 2 years before Hendrix died. And for my money, Page was a much better guitarist than Hendrix.
there first album in 1969, you sure? I thought they were a band in 1968................................

P.S. released in 69 but made in 1968...................the group started in 1968..............
CJK

1BAD68

actually they started in 67, I have some early recordings of them dated in 67, there's also a recording of them playing in a high school gymnasium in 67 that I heard once but cannot find it anymore.

ck1

October of 1968 is first recorded album I thought, you might be thinking of the yardbirds............
CJK

Ghoste

1967?  The first Yardbirds lineup didn't even break up until July of 1968.  The first album was released on January 12, 1969.

1BAD68

"The band was originally formed in 1968 by guitarist Jimmy Page under the name "the New Yardbirds" in order to fulfill some performance commitments booked before the break up of the original Yardbirds. Robert Plant was the singer. After those concerts the band's name was changed to Led Zeppelin after Keith Moon, drummer with The Who, suggested they would "go over like a lead balloon".

I stand corrected.

Shakey

Quote from: 1BAD68 on June 21, 2007, 09:00:14 AM
"The band was originally formed in 1968 by guitarist Jimmy Page under the name "the New Yardbirds" in order to fulfill some performance commitments booked before the break up of the original Yardbirds. Robert Plant was the singer. After those concerts the band's name was changed to Led Zeppelin after Keith Moon, drummer with The Who, suggested they would "go over like a lead balloon".

I stand corrected.

Does anyone wanna take a guess as to why they dropped the 'A" from the word lead?

70charger_boy

Quote from: Shakey on June 21, 2007, 06:49:25 PM
Quote from: 1BAD68 on June 21, 2007, 09:00:14 AM

I stand corrected.

Does anyone wanna take a guess as to why they dropped the 'A" from the word lead?

:popcrn:

Manfred318

They dropped the "A" because of a suggestion by their manager, because he figured some dumb ass americans would pronounce their name as "Leed" Zeppelin.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Ponch ®

Led Zeppelin was the greatest cover band of all time.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

70charger_boy

ck1

yes the greatest cover band of all time, there manager hand something to do with that.........................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ReO6J9NyTo&mode=related&search=
CJK

hemihead

They rewrote some old Blues stuff early in their career but " Cover" band? They didn't do any more covers than anyone else. I think the Beatles did just as many.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

1972Rallye

More to the point, they rerecorded old blues tunes by Muddy Waters and others without giving them writing credits.  They stole music and gave themselves the writing credits (royalties = $$$$).  "Cover Band" might not be accurate, Thieves would be...  Many, many years after Led Zeppelin, the made an out-of-court settlement with the estates of Muddy Waters, etc.

And for the record, Bonham and Jones were awesome musicians.  Page was a good writer and studio player, but he absolutely sucked live.  :eek2: :nana:

Ponch ®

Quote from: hemihead on August 16, 2007, 06:04:34 AM
They rewrote some old Blues stuff early in their career but " Cover" band? They didn't do any more covers than anyone else. I think the Beatles did just as many.

The Beatles acknowledged they were covers from the begining - not that anyone would have thought otherwise, since most of the stuff they did was contemporary. There's some stuff that Zeppelin blatantly ripped off or "re-worked" without giving credit to the original authors. They copied the intro to "Stairway" and "Dazed and Confused" from obscure bands that opened for the Yardbirds when Page was still their guitar player, the intro to "Your Day is Gonna Come" is the intro to Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy", and the blues stuff that's already been mentioned, and so on...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HjPAEPFaxoM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DsAcXFb2DbM

And check this out, then listen to "Your time is gonna come"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7_nwbTeIN4Y
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

ck1

Boy, for some reason I was thinking for I don't know why, "maybe I need to get my head check" LOL that coverband was like a opening band for a bigger venue....................
CJK

70charger_boy

Ponch, that was just eary.  I consider myself a music buff and had no clue that stairway to heaven was ripped off from Spirit.  That sounds like a blant rip off and no credit to spirit.  That really changes my mind about them

ck1

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 16, 2007, 12:38:09 PM
Quote from: hemihead on August 16, 2007, 06:04:34 AM

The Beatles acknowledged they were covers from the begining - not that anyone would have thought otherwise, since most of the stuff they did was contemporary. There's some stuff that Zeppelin blatantly ripped off or "re-worked" without giving credit to the original authors. They copied the intro to "Stairway" and "Dazed and Confused" from obscure bands that opened for the Yardbirds when Page was still their guitar player, the intro to "Your Day is Gonna Come" is the intro to Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy", and the blues stuff that's already been mentioned, and so on...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HjPAEPFaxoM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DsAcXFb2DbM

And check this out, then listen to "Your time is gonna come"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7_nwbTeIN4Y
old news
CJK