News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who has good quality weatherstripping?

Started by 69chargerrt, June 10, 2007, 01:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerrt

While I did do a search for anything answering this question,  what I did find was a couple of years old, so I thought I'd post to see if I could get a more up-to-date answer....

Well, a few years ago I had bought some door weathersripping for my '69 Charger. A few months ago I got around to installing the driver's side weatherstripping, and this weekend I was getting around to installing the passenger side weatherstripping. BTW I'm refering to the weatherstripping that runs along the edge of the door, not the window felt....

Anyway, in fumbling around I managed to ruin the passenger side strip- as I was trying to insert a retainer into a hole the retainer managed to split the rubber starting at it's mounting hole, leaving a nice 1" long split. I wouldn't trust this weatherstripping to stay in place if I attempted to install it regardless, so it'll have to be replaced.

The kicker is that in installing the passenger-side stripping I went to look at how I did the driver's side, and came to find out that the strip had ripped itself in half along the forward edge of the door just below the flat piece at the end that's held in by screws. It looks like the edge had been pulled (instead of compressed) when the door was closed, and as it got pulled back in subsequent door openings it gradually tore the strip in half (I can get a photo if anyone's interested).  So THAT has to be replaced, too.

Anyway, I'm looking for a new set of weatherstrips and I don't remember who/where I had bought the set I've got now. Not that I think my problems are because of the quality- this weatherstrip that I did have was pretty nice. So can anyone recommend a place that sells good quality repro weatherstripping for Mopars?

Thanks!
David

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

Shakey

I've heard good things about Steele Rubber Products but haven't used them yet.

Ghoste

I have some Soft Seals brand repros on my car and I'm happy with them.

Charger-Bodie

i personally like good used ones the repops that i have used are either too thin or too thick .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69chargerrt

Well, I've checked out soffseal's website and they don't seem to have door weatherstrips for '69 Chargers...  :'(

However, Steele does have a pair for '69 Chargers - has anyone used them before, and if so how did it work out?

A used set.......   well I'd consider it if I could find a nice set....  I might look into that, too if I have to go that route....

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

we put a set of steele rubber door w/strips on a 69 hemi charger a couple years ago and the doors shut really hard with them ...we hoped theyed free up some a year later we found some nice used ones cleaned them up put them on and CLICK the doors shut great ....i think the rubber is just too dense on the repops!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69chargerrt

Quote from: 1hot68 on June 11, 2007, 11:33:20 AM
we put a set of steele rubber door w/strips on a 69 hemi charger a couple years ago and the doors shut really hard with them ...we hoped theyed free up some a year later we found some nice used ones cleaned them up put them on and CLICK the doors shut great ....i think the rubber is just too dense on the repops!

I believe you may be right about the rubber being too dense.    I did notice that once I had installed the driver's side door weatherstripping that it did take some effort to get it to close- but I had chalked it up to just the new weatherstripping needing to 'seat' itself.   But after having it tear after only limited use, I'm now wondering if there just isn't enough clearance for this denser rubber to work correctly so it winds up tearing.     I think I'll try to find  a used set first and only get the repop if I can't locate a good set.....

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

I think www.rpmrestoparts.com has them but I don't know where they get them from.  I doubt they make them----you will probably have to call them and see what you can find out.