News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does yours hang this low...Pics

Started by chgr500, June 06, 2007, 05:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chgr500

Finally permanently mounted my rear sway....Nacho thanks for the thread a while back straightening me out on the differences between the 71-2s and 73-4s...it really helped...I did modify my 73-4 mount brackets with ease....Seems to sit a little higher than my first mock up set up I had tried....looks like my new low point on my car

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,16913.msg188969.html#msg188969

Feels like a different car when highway driving..with the R/T spring pack it's yet stiffer feeling...big noticeable difference on corners....can't wait to get the front sway bar on...likely be a while

chgr500

Also recently added 2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust with an X pipe...now it sounds like a real CHARGER!!

Blakcharger440

Hmmm...I have never seen a rear sway bar like that one before. That one goes straight across and follows the axle parallel. Seems like they usually bend upwards towards the middle of each side.

RJS

That bar looks right to me, the only FACTORY bar that curves on B-Body was with Dana rear. ;)

chgr500

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on June 06, 2007, 09:49:51 PM
Hmmm...I have never seen a rear sway bar like that one before. That one goes straight across and follows the axle parallel. Seems like they usually bend upwards towards the middle of each side.

From my understanding the 71-2s used a straight bar on the rear....the 73-4s had a slight bend on either side of centre...likely to aid with the suspension design change with the rubber isolators for that softer ride feel..IMO softer suspension equals less road feel and handling characteristics...YES / NO ?....if anyone has a similar stock setup I would be interested to see it...seems hard to find sway bars on the early 3rd gen cars...even R/Ts and Bee's...more common on the 73-4s because they need it  ;D

Blakcharger440

Well I learn something every day. Thanks for the info!

TUFCAT

hutch

I hate to break the news to you, but your car is kick ass.  Looks great to me.
:2thumbs:
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Charger1973

I just picked up a 72 rear end complete with the factory sway bar (straight 71-72 style).  I will definately get some pics when I get it mounted so you can see where it sits. It will be a while, but im hoping this summer yet. 

Charger1973

Quote from: chgr500 on June 07, 2007, 12:02:05 PM

From my understanding the 71-2s used a straight bar on the rear....the 73-4s had a slight bend on either side of centre...likely to aid with the suspension design change with the rubber isolators for that softer ride feel..IMO softer suspension equals less road feel and handling characteristics...YES / NO ?....if anyone has a similar stock setup I would be interested to see it...seems hard to find sway bars on the early 3rd gen cars...even R/Ts and Bee's...more common on the 73-4s because they need it  ;D

Also, yes, the 71-72 style is straight and the 73-74 style has a curve in it.  As far as Dana rears go?  They could be different too, I dont know.   :shruggy:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: chgr500 on June 07, 2007, 12:02:05 PM

you have the right swat bar for 71/72, straight from end to end.

73/74 is bended down in the middle because with isolation springs clamp assembly car would sit higher on rear. Then to compensate this, axle pedestals where shortened. With axle pedestal shortened sway bar fits closer to axle and then this bended area was made to don't meet with center pumpking ( sp ? )

sway stuff has nothing to do DIRECTLY with isolation, is just body/axle relation to keep it more straight and balanced weight against road. They were more common since 72 because Rear sway bar is part of rallye equippment, however wasn't part of R/T package, was an option.

I think looks fine. maybe a little bit low, but not to worry
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Charger1973

Quote from: chgr500 on June 06, 2007, 05:41:16 PM
Finally permanently mounted my rear sway....Nacho thanks for the thread a while back straightening me out on the differences between the 71-2s and 73-4s...it really helped...I did modify my 73=4 mount brackets with ease....Seems to sit a little higher than my first mock up set up I had tried....looks like my new low point on my car

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,16913.msg188969.html#msg188969

Feels like a different car when highway driving..with the R/T spring pack it's yet stiffer feeling...big noticeable difference on corners....can't wait to get the front sway bar on...likely be a while

A couple questions....  Did you replace your rear sway bar bushings at all?  If so who sells them?  Also, I need to replace or fabricate new "end link" parts, did you use the originals or replace them?  I cant find anyone who sells them.  Another thing I was wondering is who you got the springs through?  You sais it is the RT spring pack?  Does that mean it has an extra leaf on the one side?   :scratchchin:

chgr500

A couple questions....  Did you replace your rear sway bar bushings at all?  If so who sells them?  Also, I need to replace or fabricate new "end link" parts, did you use the originals or replace them?  I cant find anyone who sells them.  Another thing I was wondering is who you got the springs through?  You sais it is the RT spring pack?  Does that mean it has an extra leaf on the one side?   :scratchchin:

My link bushings that attach to the bar itself were in OK condition....I don't think these are serviceable and will likely require some modifications and fabrication in order to replace....I did replace the four rubber bushings on the top of the links with new ones...fortunately I had some in my Mopar stock...My rear springs came out of a stock factory U code '71 SE...must have had trailer tow package to get the bigger spring pack..the springs carry I think 5 complete springs on the left side and seven on the right side...five full springs on the r/s with two half springs on the front portion....these spring packs came with R/T's with the heavy suspension package or trailer tow equipped cars from the factory...there's more springs in there than my 1/2 ton pickup....also really helps with off the line hook up and stiffens the rear of the car alot....quite popular on e body's as they were more prone to lane hopping off the line with the high output engine combinations..one of mother Mopars answers to try to keep these cars shooting straight out off the line  :icon_smile_big:

Charger1973

Interesting.  Thanks  :cheers:   But I was hoping you were going to tell me about a secret store where I could buy it all brand new.   :bawling: 

chgr500

No secret stores yet for 3rd gen stuff...here's a pic of the oem spring packs to give you an idea of the extra strength

The l/s carries 6 full springs and the r/s carries 5 full springs and two half springs on the bottom to the front of the axle pedestal only....this also helps with wheel hop

Nacho-RT74

here is a pic that you can use to compare, an original 72 rallye set up. pic angle doesn't help a lot, but maybe...

Charger1973

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on June 19, 2007, 03:05:20 PM
here is a pic that you can use to compare, an original 72 rallye set up. pic angle doesn't help a lot, but maybe...

Mine came from a 72 rallye as well.  I am in the middle of working on it today, but should have things bolted together for the most part by tonight.  I will get a couple pics so you can see where mine lines up, but right now its looking real close to what Nacho just posted. 

Charger1973

I know these arent the best pics but its all I could do with the limited space and bad lighting.   Maybe they help? 

4cruzin

This is the best I could do.   :eek2:   Yours looks sweet!   :yesnod: 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .