News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I don't really undertsand the purpose of car registries

Started by bull, June 05, 2007, 11:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I know some people may have a cow over this but for the past few days I've been trying to figure out the purpose of registering our cars. Short of making it mandatory there's no way in he!! you're going to get everyone to register their muscle cars so how can the survivor numbers be accurate? I registered my '68 on Wooten's site and my old '70 on the '70 site just because it's somewhat helpful I guess but it just seems like a quest that can never end. There may always be one, or one hundred, cars out there that will never be found.

CharlieCharger

I actually like the mystery that there may be that 72 SE/Rallye 426 Six pack Hemi out there ;) ;D On a serious note, I think its another place people gather with a common interest in life, just like here. Wouldn't you agree
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

Todd Wilson

Well it is interesting to see the # of vehicles still out there.  You are right. There probably will never be an end to it. Some will not register and some of the vehicles are long gone so a certain part of the puzzle will never be completed. As for survivor #'s being acurate I think the special cars are based only on what has surfaced and been verified. Galen G appears to have the exact # of vehicles produced and then maybe verify.

As for the real reason of a registry that I feel is important and I do not think its done much for is to provide #'s to companies out there that could make reproduction parts for us. They arent gonna spend the $ to repro parts when they dont know how many are out there. Thats why you can order every part you need for a Mustang and Camaro. I'd like to see one of the registries step up and start letting these companies know whats out there. Take whats registered and if there is a way to figure a % of vehicles not registered then maybe we can get some parts. I know the production #'s of Mopars was way lower then Ford or GM in the day so the repro parts deal will always be an uphill battle and probably a losing battle on some things.

Todd

Old Moparz

Some of the registries have been around before the internet & I remember seeing them listed in Hemmings too. I think the original inception was probably because of curiosity & that Chrysler's records were horrible. (Also destroyed in a fire) I never gave much thought to them in the past since most of what I owned wasn't anything rare or expensive. I think now that the concept of a registry is a good one, because with all the cases of fraud & people making claims that something is rare, there's one more tool to authenticate a car.

Clear Title
Original & Undisturbed VIN Tag
Body Stampings of VIN
Build Sheet
Fender Tag
Recorded Within Registry

If I ever come across a stack of misplaced papers, I have VIN's for 2 - 1969 Chargers, 1 - 1970 Charger, 1 - 1970 GTX that I've owned & also like to add to the registries.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Brock Samson

i thought it helps to compile data so folks can have their questions answered..  :shruggy:

PocketThunder

You just dont want to start the 68 registry Bull.... :icon_smile_big:  Maybe we could put Bronzy on the job.  Or him and Brewster can team up as the dynamic duo.   :D
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bull

Quote from: PocketThunder on June 05, 2007, 01:16:20 PM
You just dont want to start the 68 registry Bull.... :icon_smile_big:  Maybe we could put Bronzy on the job.  Or him and Brewster can team up as the dynamic duo.   :D

If I started a registry site it would be my first stab at running a website, and being a perfectionist I think it would drive me crazy trying to make it look right. I assume there are some stock or standard type of forums out there that can be utilized but I wouldn't really like that either. I would want it to look professional, not amateurish. Plus the time required is something I don't have right now. Troy is always saying how much time he's spent on this site and he knows what he's doing. I can open programs and type words, surf the net and play a few games and that's about the extent of my computer knowledge. I could help but I seriously doubt I'm the one to start a website that would actually attract people.

Quote from: CharlieCharger on June 05, 2007, 11:52:54 AM
I think its another place people gather with a common interest in life, just like here. Wouldn't you agree

Totally. But we don't do any actual registering here, it's just a message board. And by the same token some registries don't have message boards while some others, like the '70 board, have both. My question is specifically about registering cars.

last426

I wanted one so that I could contact other owners of my model car (I know there is a guy in Alabama who has 23 of them).  But then I found out that private information was not available.  Then it bacame a pain because I wanted to write letters, send them to the registry, and have them address them.  Too much of a hassle for me so I got over the registry idea.  Kim

Dodge Don

I believe Registries can be great, or useless. Depends on the objectives of each one.

Obviously I'm biased, however specifically for the 70 Charger Registry there are over 1,700 cars registered (this is publicly stated and updated monthly), and by focusing on a single model year, the registry has become, I believe, the definitive source of information on '70 Chargers. 68 models are different from 69s and so on. Single year/model focus yields more factual knowledge for all concerned. If I had a 69 question I'd ask the 69 Registry.

The 1970 Charger Registry was created to document as many '70 Chargers as possible while using this collective information to assist other owners and enthusiasts with access to information on these cars. Information that is simply unavailable elsewhere, or, at a cost. Registration is free and all VINs and personal information is kept in the strictest confidence.

We believe strongly in helping our fellow enthusiasts and we are proud of the achievements so far, which include:

A free Message Board dedicated to 1970 Chargers with over 460 members all sharing information and advice on these models including performance upgrades, restoration guidance, products and services, factory tech archives and of course parts and cars for sale.

The creation of three (3) Broadcast Sheet Decoders. Each specifically created for a specific model type (Base, 500 and R/T). Based on data gathered from hundreds of '70 Charger broadcast sheets, these decoders are without a doubt the most comprehensive broadcast sheet decoders available to the public and they are available for viewing at absolutely no cost.

The creation of a Fender Tag Decoder. Based on over a thousand '70 Charger fender tags this decoder is available to the public for viewing at absolutely no cost.

Complete listings of option codes, again separated distinctly by model type, including production figures by option code and by model. Based on the Chrysler SG30 production reports these are the most accurate information available on production figures by option code. Again, this listing is available to the public for viewing at absolutely no cost.

A "Tech & Specs" section dedicated to hard to find documentation such as 1970 Charger sunroof operating instructions, Dodge Data Book, the complete 1970 Chrysler Parts Manual, interior and exterior color codes, '70 Charger body shop repair guide, radio service guide, wiring diagrams and much more.

A Pictures section with over 850 images of '70 Chargers, member cars, interior examples, Charger memorabilia and articles and detailed pictures of rare options or features. The classic 1970 Charger 500 "Elliot" TV commercial is online for viewing.

A popular feature is our "Charger of the month" which profiles a member's '70 Charger each month. Includes photos and the owner's story.

The 1970 Charger Registry has also undertaken numerous "research" initiatives, where through the wealth of information in our database and the large number members on the Message Board, we have been able to identify restoration accuracy issues, which were impossible to establish without an "en-masse" approach.

One such example would be the door VIN decals. Chrysler documentation, used by ECS Automotive was proven to be inaccurate for the first 15 days of September 1969 and as such ECS has created new decal artwork to meet this reality.

We have reunited information with owners, identified and alerted a member to a sequential car for sale which they bought, identified numerous bogus fender tags etc etc etc.

I'd like to see a registry for each year, so as to take back control of the information that others charge for. Someone in the 68 camp needs to step up I think.

bull

Charger1973

I agree with Dodge Don.

If I had the time and money to keep one up, I would have started a 73 registry already.  I still might one of these days, I have been gathering as much info as I can for a while now.  I like the idea of having a central website dedicated to my specific year of Charger.  It would really be nice to have a site to go to with all of the known information centralized like that...  :yesnod:   

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Chris G.

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on June 05, 2007, 04:09:56 PM
Quote from: bull on June 05, 2007, 03:47:20 PM
Well, that's a pretty good answer. :icon_smile_big:
:iagree: Hard to top that one. ;D

Seriously.  :bow:

Don just saved me a ton of typing.  :2thumbs: 

There are no "cons" when registering. It can only help if you do register. We are normal guys that had no real experience running a site or even a registry. It's all done at our expense (well really mine :P). There's no profits made whatsoever. Don has kids, a wife and a full time job, but he still does a ton for the registry. I also work full time, and can only really work on the site at night. We get a ton of emails, and everyone single one is answered. It takes time, but both of us are having fun and learning a ton while doing it. There's so many members on this site that have been supportive, I wouldn't even know where to start.  :cheers:  I also agree about doing a "one year only" type site. Concentrate on what you love (or like) and go from there. A '73 only site would be cool. I have a few I could send you.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I don't know how much more I can add to what was already said.  What I can say though is that running a registry is definitely a labor of love.  It can be a daunting task at times but in the end its well worth it.
Chris' '70 Registry is definitely one to look up to..... :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemihead

Quote from: Todd Wilson on June 05, 2007, 12:11:47 PM
Well it is interesting to see the # of vehicles still out there.  You are right. There probably will never be an end to it. Some will not register and some of the vehicles are long gone so a certain part of the puzzle will never be completed. As for survivor #'s being acurate I think the special cars are based only on what has surfaced and been verified. Galen G appears to have the exact # of vehicles produced and then maybe verify.

As for the real reason of a registry that I feel is important and I do not think its done much for is to provide #'s to companies out there that could make reproduction parts for us. They arent gonna spend the $ to repro parts when they dont know how many are out there. Thats why you can order every part you need for a Mustang and Camaro. I'd like to see one of the registries step up and start letting these companies know whats out there. Take whats registered and if there is a way to figure a % of vehicles not registered then maybe we can get some parts. I know the production #'s of Mopars was way lower then Ford or GM in the day so the repro parts deal will always be an uphill battle and probably a losing battle on some things.

Todd

If that were the case, they would make parts for 3rd Gen Chargers before 2nd Gen or E bodies because there were more produced but repro parts manufactures don't  work that way. They make parts for what seems popular to them.You can buy more parts for an A body than a 3rd Gen.
And as far as the whole registy thing goes I once thought it a good idea until something happened recently and then it dawned on me : The only one a registry benefits is the one running the registry. No one else is privy to the info. So you have one or a select group of people with all the info but they want yours. I see no way that helps me with anything at all.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Chris G.

Quote from: hemihead on June 06, 2007, 05:44:29 AM
The only one a registry benefits is the one running the registry. No one else is privy to the info. So you have one or a select group of people with all the info but they want yours. I see no way that helps me with anything at all.

Sorry HemiHead, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not sure what bad experience you had, but I started the '70 site in August 2004, and 3 years later, I don't see how it has benefited ME at all. Myself and Don gather all the information we can, so that people such as yourself can get a better understanding of what is still out there and hopefully a shot at finding some lost information about your car. You mentioned that no one else is privy to the info? VIN's and personal info of course are not released. Do you want to know how many cars are registered in FC7 or have a 4spd? We gladly share that information. Our site is set up to completely help out the public. Just scroll up and see what Don typed, and tell me how our registry doesn't benefit the public. I do agree there are a few registries out there that are pretty much useless.

Dodge Don

Quote from: Todd Wilson on June 05, 2007, 12:11:47 PM

Todd

And as far as the whole registy thing goes I once thought it a good idea until something happened recently and then it dawned on me : The only one a registry benefits is the one running the registry. No one else is privy to the info. So you have one or a select group of people with all the info but they want yours. I see no way that helps me with anything at all.

What happened recently? Can you share?

Not all Registries are the same. Certainly Galen Govier has a large database that he is using to fleece the flock. Other Registries just take in info without any output of info to the public.

The only thing we will not share is personal info/VINs. We cannot display the database because of technical issues. We are not Microsoft  ;D with dozens of techies. It would be freaking huge! The 69 Registry is coming on strong and they are certain to pass us in size (number of cars registered) given the sheer production volumes....I can't even imagine how you would display a database that big. Chris' (69RT) reputation and integrity are I believe beyond reproach so that Registry is in good hands.

You ask us how many Pink 70 Charger 500s we have with a 383 2bbl, 4-speed, power windows, 8-track, SE option etc.....we can tell you.

Other than learning more about our cars, I'm not clear on how this benefits us personally. That said, I do understand why people would be suspicious of people doing things to help the hobby without any strings attached. It's just not that common anymore when everyone is out to squeeze a buck out of you.

Now, on with our secret plot to take over the world......BWAHAHAHAHA  :devil:

Dodge Don

Apparently Chris and I also share a brain....see concurrent posts above

Shakey

69_500

Registries are great. As far as Galen having his information, yeah that is great too. I see a vast difference in the 69 registry, and the 70 registry though from what he is doing. These guys are doing it because they love the cars. Not for $$$$. Just for love, and to gather information, and to share it. I have spent years tracking down 500's, and gladly share that information with chris and the 69 registry. Heck for a while the number of 500's in his database out numbered all the other 69 cars. Now its getting better, which is good. Still waiting for the day that 10,000 69's are registered.

69bronzeT5

Maybe we could put Bronzy on the job.

I could make one but it would probally be pretty bad. It would work though.... :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 06, 2007, 08:48:17 PM

I could make one but it would probally be pretty bad. It would work though.... :shruggy:

Come now young grasshopper.... the first step towards success is being confident!  Yes, you can do it! :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bull

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 06, 2007, 08:48:17 PM

Don't take this an an insult but I'd rather see it started by a '68 owner.

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

69CoronetRT

1) Then you haven't spent time at the Hamtramck registry site. Take a look at the huge amount of Technical service bullitens, data books, dealer info, etc, etc, that Barry is compiling on the site. All available for free and to the public for your viewing pleasure http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/index.shtml. There is far more to come at that site too.

2) Registries help prevent fraudulent selling. How would you like to be able to turn to a source  to find out if a car you are looking at is a rebody? A registry could help alert you to that fact. Registry guys I know scour all available sources and sellers to see what's out there and learn which cars are known fakes.

3) Registries serve to unite owners with lost vehicle documentation such as broadcast sheets. I wish I could turn to a registry for any documentation on my car. Like it or not, the documentation helps validate cars for resale and insurance purposes and enhances the hobby.

4) The more data that is compiled the better the registry. Each vehicle registered helps stabilize the data base and makes it more accurate and valid. Registering even one car helps.

Yes, some registries are fly by night set ups and are not worth the server space the occupy. Registries take an incredible amout of time and personal resources but there is no down side to a well run registry.

Charger folks should be damn grateful Chris and Chris do what they do. I'm truly surprised no one has followed their lead and come up with a '68 site.

ok off the soap box....
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.