News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buying an 05 Jeep

Started by sixpack70, April 29, 2008, 08:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack70

I'm  buying a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 5.7 Hemi and 4wd. It will be my first jeep. I'm pretty excited to get it. I was thinking of a truck, but decided not too because of my animals, and how hot trucks are to steal here in El Paso. I got it for a good price with 40k miles and it still have a warranty until 2012.

I lost my 2002 Lightning truck in my divorce almost a year ago so I needed a tow vehicle. This thing will tow my Charger and other cars fairly easily with the 7200lb towing capacity. My L only had 5000lb capacity. I can also take it off road which the lightning couldn't do. I will be traveling to a place near Dallas Texas to pick it up. Here are a few of the pictures the dealership had up. It also has most options except the navigation which I really don't need.

One of my co-workers has a wrangler and its a fun vehicle to go offloading in. My friend in high school has an early 90s Cherokee with the six we cruised in all through high school. My buddy had a 93 Cherokee with the 318 in it and he still cries about selling it last year because he loved it. I towed my mach 1 with it easily this winter. I guess all of those experiences sold me!

1966 Falcon
1969 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Charger R/T 440+6 4spd

BigRed66

Very nice...There's Only One...once you own a Jeep, you will never want to be without one. I live in NE Ohio, where 4WD is a necessity in the winter. I have a 2003 Liberty and it's a mini-tank. BTW, my ex-wife lives in EP, with my 18-y/o daughter over near Dolphin Terrace School by Dyer. At any rate, congrats on your new Jeep. :2thumbs:
"...between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel..."

694spdRT

I have exactly same Jeep except it came with the Nav and DVD. I have had it for two years now and bought it with 4,000 miles from the local dealer.  At the time it was less money than a new Charger that had a sticker price of $12K less.

If you drive it nicely you should be able to get 20mpg on the highway with the MDS.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Orange_Crush

I just bought my wife an '08 4.7 Grand Cherokee Limited.  Mine has the Mygig and about 47 more things that I'll probably never use.  She really loves it.  The new 4.7 puts out about 70 ore horsepower than the old one so the thing scoots.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

PocketThunder

Quote from: BigRed66 on April 29, 2008, 10:40:48 PM
Very nice...There's Only One...once you own a Jeep, you will never want to be without one.

Exactly!  I sold my 97 TJ after my first kid was born and i miss it every day since then. 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bordin34

My mother has an '07 3.7 Grand Cherokee. The car handles good for a truck and stops well also. The 3.7 is gutless but the 5.7 should cure that problem. Also, I am curious if the early Hemi Cherokees have the 8 1/4 rear.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

The Kid

Quote from: bordin34 on April 30, 2008, 02:15:44 PM
My mother has an '07 3.7 Grand Cherokee. The car handles good for a truck and stops well also. The 3.7 is gutless but the 5.7 should cure that problem. Also, I am curious if the early Hemi Cherokees have the 8 1/4 rear.
Since it has the Hemi it might have the 9 1/4 that the Ram's got. Not sure though...

I love my Jeep, it's a '96 Cherokee 5 speed. Your's is a helluva lot nicer but a Jeep is a Jeep! Does yours still have a solid front axle or is it IFS?

bordin34

I remember seeing an early Hemi Grand Cherokee with an 8 1/4 once and thought it was weird. You can tell the early ones because they have thicker side mouldings and black plastic door handles on the base model. They have IFS.

Mahwah,NJ

ChgrSteve67

Nice choice!

And I even like the color.
Inferno Red.

sixpack70

This jeep has the dvd but no nav, and thats ok. I have a Garmin to plug in and stick to the window. They switched to the IFS like bordin34 said to allow more travel in the front suspension than the solid allowed. The rear is still solid because they wanted the jeep to be able to tow a lot of weight still. From what I read the jeep will do the quarter in 15.1-.2 and 0-60 in 6.8-7.0 seconds. I will be taking it out on Sunday to the desert to go driving and test it out. It should be a lot of fun.
1966 Falcon
1969 Mustang Mach 1

TheGhost

Quote from: BigRed66 on April 29, 2008, 10:40:48 PM
Very nice...There's Only One...once you own a Jeep, you will never want to be without one.

Ain't that the truth. ;D  My dad bought an 03 3.7 Liberty new.  He traded that one in a couple years ago, for a Diesel powered Liberty.  Now he's talking about trading the Diesel in on one of the new Jeeps, the Compass I think.  I've driven the Liberty around, and love the things, especially the diesel.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

sixpack70

I picked it up Friday night at DFW, and drove all day Saturday. The guy who sold me the jeep was really cool. He actually knew the products and showed me how to work everything on the car and all the little nuances. It wasn't like those guy who try to talk a bunch of bs and don't really know what the vehicle does. He only sells newer mopar products. We also Bsed for a couple hours afterwards. Wish there were more people like that who sold cars.

I pulled down 22.5mpg which is pretty darn good. I didn't get too crazy with the throttle, just eased into it and let the MDS do its work. It rides awesome, has way more power than I thought it would! I will be taking it to the track to race some ricers and beat them. its always fun to see a whale tail honda or cavalier die by an SUV or truck. With all of the options its an awesome rig. I found the uconnect thing with my phone to be real nice. Hands free operation and people probably think I am some crazy person talking to myself.  I'd suggest anyone thinking about buying one get one.
1966 Falcon
1969 Mustang Mach 1

bordin34

My mothers 3.7 Grand Cherokee gets 15 around town and 19 highway. Also I just went to a dealer today and the 08 Hemi Grand Cherokees have 8 1/4 rears as well as the 3.7 liberty's.

Mahwah,NJ