News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who still sells the old MP street hemi orange engine paint?

Started by resq302, June 04, 2007, 07:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

I recently purchased two cans of the "new" Mopar (white and blue) Street hemi orange engine paint for my car.  This new formula has more of a red tint to it than what the old one did so it does not match any of my engine at all.  I really do not want to pull and repaint the whole engine as I have no reason to, just that I wanted to replace the tall version of the PCV valve with the more accepted shorter styel.  Does anyone know a vendor that sells the older Mopar Performance rainbow stripe Street  Hemi Orange paint?  The one that has the red, blue, yellow, and orange striping on the can?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Local dealer is where I got the "new and improved" blue and white label that was incorrect.  I will give Mancini a shot.  Thanks Chris. :cheers: :cheers:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

67_Dodge_Charger

I had the same problem. I went to the local dealer and bought the last three cans he had on the shelf, otherwise I would of had to buy the new chrysler orange.

Robert

resq302

They also have out a Restoration Hemi Orange which might be the same color as the old Street Hemi Orange.  Leave it to Chrysler to ruin a good thing...... :rotz:
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on June 05, 2007, 07:15:19 AM
They also have out a Restoration Hemi Orange which might be the same color as the old Street Hemi Orange.  Leave it to Chrysler to ruin a good thing...... :rotz:

Thats the paint I used on my engine.

How does the new stuff spray out though?  Hopefully better than the old watered down, dries in mid air crap they used to have :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

The old paint (rainbow stripe) that I used had to be put on in light coats otherwise it would run like water.  The new paint seemed to go on better but anywhere there was a sharp edge (like on the pointed part of the hex side of the pcv valve) it would not coat as well as the rest of it.  Also seemed to cover differently than the old stuff.
Brian

resq302

Mancini Racing only has the new stuff now as they said they have been out of the old stuff for a while.  According to them, the new paint is made in Canada and is supposed to be dead on correct for the shade of orange.  The old part number for the Mopar Performance Street Hemi Orange is P4349216 and the new Mopar blue and white can is part number P4349216AB.

I hope I can find the old cans of this stuff and I would rather not have to pull my engine just to repaint it.  Painting it in the engine compartment is not an option either as there is too many detailed pieces that would get over spray on it and I'd rather not go through that again like I did last year with the body shop getting exterior paint all over my engine and under carriage and suspension parts.

So.... if anyone knows a place that still has the old style Mopar Performance Engine Enamel in Street Hemi Orange....... HEEEELLLLPPPP.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian

resq302

Chris,

Frederick Dodge only sells the new Mopar one, not the orange capped older style.  I checked ebay and did a google search also.  The other one I sent an email to asking what the part number was as it seems there are some people out there that still do not know there is a difference in the color inside the can. :pity:  Thanks for checking though. 

I am awaiting a call back from Jegs as they might have a couple cans left but the said that they know they have the new can with the AB at the end of the part number in stock also.
Brian

firefighter3931

Brian, i have a couple of old cans of Autopar Chrysler Orange PT 14 if that helps. The cap on the can looks like a "brownish orange" if that makes sense....the contents are supposed to match the cap.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

chargerbr549

I have used two other brands of paint that I thought looked pretty close but I could be wrong, one is made by Plasticote part # 226 you can get at a Carquest store and Napa also has some but I can't remember the brand or number but I will check tomorrow and let you know.

Kevin

resq302

Well....the moron at Jegs apparently doesn't know how to read as they have discontinued the old paint and only sell the new paint.  Looks like I am FUBAR for the show this Sunday.  Does anyone have any of the old cans still laying around that they might want to sell????
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Brian I have half a can of the Restoration Hemi Orange....I dont think its the same.

You're only painting the PCV correct?   Orange is orange.....if it were painted purple then I'd say something but Im sure you are far from FUBAR
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

JimShine

Why not get the paint mixed to the correct color? If you don't have spray equipment, use the Pre-Val aerosol sprayers at Home Depot.

resq302

Chris, it would look weird since there would be so much of the old color on the engine and the PCV valve being the new color.  I held it up to the valve cover and there is quite a noticable difference.  Looks like I will have to pull my engine out over the winter now and get it repainted the new color. :rotz:

Jim,

I have tried that with my car.  I brought a small piece of the paint for my car (R4) in to a auto body paint place and even though they took a digital picture of the color, the paint was still not dead on and they had to mix a little and spray a test panel out and finally got the color right after about 8 tries.  I don't want to go through that again especially since automotive paint is getting so darn expensive.
Brian